Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Points and Money Rewards: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 7, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
For detailed info on Points & Money Rewards™ award nights, see Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED March 2015]

For the Hilton Honors Points & Money Rewards™ FAQ, please see here.
Print Wikipost

Points and Money Rewards: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2011, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Guava
I have no experience with either of these two properties and don't believe they even participate in the HHonors program because the HHonors Rewards page does not even list how much they will charge for them. Even as I called recently to book the Grand Wailea, the agent on the phone never offered me the Ho'olei as an option even though I only told him Maui. Plus, if Ho'olei is a redeemable W=A property, I should have been able to book it using my Q3FN that I earned from from Q4 2010, which ended December 31 (the one with 10 nights = 1 certificate deal). It's safe to say those two properties are not even in the program, so no elite benefits and etc. either.
Both are in the program. Multiple threads on the Ho'olei (a set of residences at the GW) can be found on FT. Q3FN's are not valid there (I've asked). Point levels are definitely at about 150k/night with a rumored VIP award (multi night) at 120k/night. Not much info on the Qasr al Sharq, but I remember seeing redemption rates in that region when it first joined HHonors.

But we digress....
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jasonvr
However, this does raise a concern I had not previously thought about. If the W Maldives can state that there is no such thing as a standard room, what is to prevent the Conrad Rangali from stating the same thing. They already have exemptions in the HHonors rules for the Maldives properties. Could we be on the verge of seeing only "premium" rooms at certain properties and not having the option of doing standard redemptions? It certainly seems to be a possibility opened by the existence of Premium Room rewards
This is a really interesting point. It may well tie in to the lack of availability to book any kind of standard room now for 2012 in the Maldives. The fact that Hilton has not had "premium only" redemptions at some properties has surely been a limitation of the programme then in place.

Unless you have a mechanism to redeem points for premium rooms (a la Starwood) then there is no structure to hike up redemption rates for "special" properties, it does not mean that Hilton Corporate and/or the property owners don't have a desire to hike up redemption rates in this way. Once a structure is in place which will allow this type of redemption hike then that desire for change can be practically translated into action.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
It would probably be disappointing for some if they hiked up the points required at the resort properties by making premium-only redemptions. But unsurprising. I would love to know what the ratio of points/free-nights guests is to full paying guests at the Beach House/Conrad Rangali/Hilton Iru Fushi as compared to a random city hotel.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:08 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club RIP,BAEC Silver
Has the points price gone up in parallel with this? I checked a points redemption for the Bangkok Hilton a week ago and as a tier 3 it was 25K points, yesterday when only the main booking system was available I was quoted 30K points. Or has the BKK Hilton moved to tier 4? Anyone an idea?
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
One of two possibilities, either the system isn't working properly, or since the hotel doesn't have any standard rooms it was booking you into a Deluxe room which costs more.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stifle
I would love to know what the ratio of points/free-nights guests is to full paying guests at the Beach House/Conrad Rangali/Hilton Iru Fushi as compared to a random city hotel.
My guesstimate at Rangali was around 90% revenue guests but that would be hard to substantiate. There are different types of redemption guest too aren't there? There are those who drop a lot of spend at a property and perhaps pay cash to upgrade rooms and at the other extreme you have those who seek to absolutely minimise every penny spent and a number of people inbetween.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by stifle
It would probably be disappointing for some if they hiked up the points required at the resort properties by making premium-only redemptions. But unsurprising. I would love to know what the ratio of points/free-nights guests is to full paying guests at the Beach House/Conrad Rangali/Hilton Iru Fushi as compared to a random city hotel.
Interesting question. My uneducated guess for the Beach House Maldives would be the same as Land-of-Miles for the Conrad Rangali--about 90 percent revenue. I base that on the clientele, which (to the limited extent I saw them at breakfast and otherwise) seemed primarily to be Chinese, Russian, other Asians and Europeans who are not native English speakers. I connect that with the perhaps incorrect assumption that many or most HH members are American or from other English-speaking countries--which, again, might be totally off-base of me.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; SPG Gold; OnePass Gold; Avis President's Club
I'm a huge fan of SPG Cash & Points and would be looking at using this redemption method for short stays.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
This is a really interesting point. ..
I would call it a really disturbing point

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Unless you have a mechanism to redeem points for premium rooms (a la Starwood) then there is no structure to hike up redemption rates for "special" properties, it does not mean that Hilton Corporate and/or the property owners don't have a desire to hike up redemption rates in this way. Once a structure is in place which will allow this type of redemption hike then that desire for change can be practically translated into action.
Just a couple years ago we had top awards at 40K/nt - now it's 80K for WA and smth even crazier for Wailea condos so clearly Hilton already found a structure to hike up redemption rates. Perhaps they are just looking for new lipstick for this pig.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:31 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
I just called up DD to ask about upgrading rooms for a couple of upcoming award stays, and she said that since it's extremely new, not all hotels are currently participating. Indeed, my hotels (both in italy) weren't yet on the list. So it may be a while before there is full participation.

tb
Old Apr 4, 2011, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by trueblu
I just called up DD to ask about upgrading rooms for a couple of upcoming award stays, and she said that since it's extremely new, not all hotels are currently participating. Indeed, my hotels (both in italy) weren't yet on the list. So it may be a while before there is full participation.

tb
Well, I haven't heard of a single report of this new award working on any of the 3,000+ hotels at all. Not that I am surprised really.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
W=A is showing P+M availability

Just did a mock award booking for W=A NY, for July 10 it's showing P+M rate of 30K, however, it's listed as low season rate instead of P+M, I clicked all the way to the last confirmation page & there is no mention of the $100, so this might be a "mistaken rate" opportunity

ETA, more rate mistake, it's showing high season rate of 50K/night for NYE, the normal rate should be 60k/night.

Last edited by rdchen; Apr 4, 2011 at 8:49 pm
Old Apr 4, 2011, 9:00 pm
MFM

Points + Money

I was told the system wouldn't be able to book this online until the 7th of April
Old Apr 5, 2011, 2:44 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Points and Cash comes to HHONORS

Apparently it is official, now.

And a huge deal for HHONORS members IMHO.

Just saw this post by Ric Garrido.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...grade-rewards/

I suggest this post's header be changed to "points and cash" awards, which is the more common terminology.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 7:35 am

not so sure

cannot find a hotel that offers cash and points

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.