Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What New Honors Features Would You Like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum

With HHonorsRepresentative here on FT now, I thought it might be a good time for us to put together a wishlist of features that we wish were in the HHonors program.

Here are some I've wished for or seen mentioned by others:

1. Something similar to Starwood's Cash & Points, where hotels can make specific inventory available and members can use a combination of cash and points to pay. For instance, instead of 40k HH points for a Cat6, it might be 20k HH points + $100. Point Stretchers (if they come back) are close, but I think the properties might appreciate getting some cash as well.
2. Space-available Suite Upgrades as a named benefit for Diamond elites. Many hotels already do this, but I would love to see this expacted and formalized.
3. Lifetime Status for those with long-term loyalty, like Marriott and others offer. Maybe give you a status for life if you earn it at least 10 times?
4. Better Elite Perks. How motivating do you really think it is to get 250 HH points (worth about $1.25) or a water and a bag of chips (worth about the same) at a Hampton Inn?
5. Better Promotions. Everyone seems to be offering far better promotions than Hilton. For instance, Hyatt's FFN where you got a free night with every two stays.

So what would you add to the HHonors program?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
4. Better Elite Perks. How motivating do you really think it is to get 250 HH points (worth about $1.25) or a water and a bag of chips (worth about the same) at a Hampton Inn?
5. Better Promotions. Everyone seems to be offering far better promotions than Hilton. For instance, Hyatt's FFN where you got a free night with every two stays.
I don't think you can really expect that much from a Hampton. What do Marriott Platinums get when they stay at a Fairfield Inn? I know their points options is only 200 bonus points.

Between the Asia 2-for-1, the Visa promo, the Q1 and Q2 bonus point offers, the Delta promo, etc I haven't felt starved for promo opportunities. Then again, I don't know what Hilton's competitors are offering.

I would like to see them put resources into improving the web site, the number and quality of exec lounges in the US, and the training and supervision of the Diamond desk reps. They also need to tighten standards at some of the older Hilton properties.

I agree lifetime status would be nice, as would the suite upgrade guarantee (although I would guess the "when available" would probably make it not much more predictable than it is today).
Old Aug 20, 2009, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I would like to see HH screen us from the NOR-1 BS... where you are offered an opportunity to pay for the upgrades that you were supposed to be getting for free.

I was recently offered the opportunity to buy lounge access for $20... which, as I Diamond, I would received even if I did not receive the upgrade to the executive floor (yes, my My Way selections are all correct).

I was also offered the opportunity to buy for $20 the upgrade to the executive floor (subject to availability)... the same upgrade that I would have received for free (subject to availability).

Common Hilton... is your thinking really that muddled... or are you trying to pick up some extra change trolling for the gullible?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 2:01 pm

Before implanting new features it would be great if Hilton would start with the basics:

1. Do not lie to customers!
2. Read your customers emails and please reply within three business days
3. Make sure all Hilton properties comply with the HHonors upgrade policy
4. Do not run a promotion which excludes 106 rates
5. Do not change your T&C after you launched your promo

Thank you Hilton @:-)
Old Aug 20, 2009, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
With HHonorsRepresentative
Be very careful. Anytime I am critical of HI, the Hamptonites come out in full force to defend that brand.
I agree though. A bottle of water and some crackers in exchange for you staying with them 60 days a year is ridiculous.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Be very careful. Anytime I am critical of HI, the Hamptonites come out in full force to defend that brand.
I agree though. A bottle of water and some crackers in exchange for you staying with them 60 days a year is ridiculous.
The brand is fine. The breakfasts are FAR better than the continental breakfasts at Hilton, Doubletree, and many competitors. The prices are great. Suite Upgrades (although not an official benefit) are nice when they happen. I just chose a Hampton Inn & Suites for an upcoming stay.

But there's just very little difference between non-status, Gold and Diamond treatment. Why couldn't they offer Diamonds 1000 points across all of the brands, for instance? That's only about $5 in value, but far better than the slap in the face 250 points.

I'm a bit disappointed with the responses so far (not aimed at anyone in particular). I know there's lot of stuff that Hilton needs to work on, including the web site, consistency, NOR-1, etc., but I was hoping this thread would be more constructive with suggestions of new features. I guess that just shows how much of a frustration the problems are -- people would rather see those fixed than anything else.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by servus
Before implanting new features it would be great if Hilton would start with the basics:
I think Hilton should start with an even more basic feature: a working website that doesn't require me to log in three times.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:36 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
But there's just very little difference between non-status, Gold and Diamond treatment. Why couldn't they offer Diamonds 1000 points across all of the brands, for instance? That's only about $5 in value, but far better than the slap in the face 250 points.
You seem to be simply ignoring that elites do receive a point bonus on every paid stay across all brands, 50% for Diamond, 25% for Gold, and 15% for Silver, and this is of course in addition to the MyWay Benefits, which may include bonus points, such as the 250 point bonus at Hamptons.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA, Marriott PLT, Starwood
I agree with tusphotog. The extra logging in is just silly, and is an irritant every single time that I sign in. It is also difficult to switch from checking for cash room availability to checking for award room availability.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:55 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by tusphotog
I think Hilton should start with an even more basic feature: a working website that doesn't require me to log in three times.
I thought it was just my computer being a pain in my arse!! I'm glad that others have that same problem!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Improved Diamond Desk customer service. Too many times the person I speak to does not know his/her own product! Many seem to be very poorly trained and some have an attitude about helping, occasionally to the point of being beliigerent. One CS and supervisor was not aware of an official hilton website I used to book (said Hilton family - how much more official and obvious!) and tried to deny bonus points based on that. And refusal to look into further (had to call the Special Services desk who was shocked the CS & supervisor could not recognize their own product).

Correct the ignorance and attitude problems!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Plat | UA 1K | HA Plat| Hertz President's circle
#1, A new My Way. Calender year or rolling year. I really miss the rolling year. I stopped staying as much as I would have at Hiltons once I re-qualified back in June. I then started to stay with Starwood (they matched status) for the MUCH better promotions and the suite upgrades, and I really think Hilton should look at the SPG program and steal some ideas from it. (They already have been taken to court over stealing info from Starwood why stop now?)

OR how about "roll over" qualification stats. I have 35 stays for the year, only need 28 for Diamond, roll over the extra 7 stays and start me in Jan at 7. Do this for all levels. AT&T is doing it with mins, Delta is going to start it with qualifying miles. I think it will be a more clear way of going back to the rolling year.

# 2 Diamond Suite Upgrades (I have gotten them, but make it an official perk)

# 3 More options at check in, like SPG, at times I book a rate with Breakfast and do not get a "make up" perk for that. Let us pick a reward at check in. I like the My Way, but if there is no upgrade a check in, why can I not get free internet at that point?

#4 They give Diamonds FULL breakfast at HGI, can we not move that to Hilton and DoubleTree? The continental breakfasts at some hotels are getting to be a slap in the face.

#5 More ways to spend points like; points and cash, point room upgrades, points to pay for hotel items.

#6 Come on with the promos!!

I also agree with these that "servus" listed
1. Do not lie to customers!
2. Read your customers emails and please reply within three business days
3. Make sure all Hilton properties comply with the HHonors upgrade policy
4. Do not run a promotion which excludes 106 rates
5. Do not change your T&C after you launched your promo
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:06 pm

Programs: HH Diamond/ AC Elite/*Gold /Hertz Gold5*/Global Entry-TSA Pre/Starbucks Gold
What I would like is to get what I'm entitled to today as a Diamond member. HH needs to do a better job being consistent in issuing the benefits today.

I can't expect more when issuing the basic benefits is not happening.

Address the issues today and get those right.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Totally agree with the suggestions by little_dc! Great ones!

I didn't realize that Diamonds got a full breakfast at HGI. I've only stayed at one (as a Gold) and I did get a wonderful full breakfast, but I figured it was just an exceptional location. I'll definitely consider HGIs more often. I totally agree about the continental breakfasts at Hiltons and Doubletrees. If I'm staying with my family, especially, I'll avoid those and usually opt for a Hampton instead. If they offered a hot item (a few do, but not all) or a full breakfast, I wouldn't avoid the Hiltons and Doubletrees.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 7:09 pm

Programs: Promus Preferred, ITT Sheraton Club
What about a status level above Diamond that offers some of the perks other posters are outlining above?

I have no incentive to stay at HH after requalifying for Diamond so I'm hanging out in Marriotts and SPG properties to nibble at their programs (I have to say, SPG treats their platinums very well.) If HH had better point bonuses for the new higher-tier, coupled with Suite Upgrades (like Sheraton) and a free FULL breakfast (not just a roll and juice) at DoubleTrees and other non-lounge FS properties it would make the HHonors program much more appealing.

Delta recently added a new tier above their highest; the most frequent of frequent fliers rejoiced. Why not HHonors?

Let's keep in mind that HHonorsRepresentative is new here, let's try not to overwhelm her/him!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.