Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2007, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
Arrow DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Monrovia - Pasadena Area {US-CA}

Looks like the old Holiday Inn Monrovia will become the Doubletree Hotel Monrovia soon. The old Holiday was okay, treatment to PC Platinum was great, but the rooms definitely needed some updates. Hopefully with "Sweet Dreams Beds" and other upgraded amenities.

With the addition of the Doubletree, we will have 4 HH properties to choose from within 3 blocks of each other. HGI, ES, and HI are within a block of each other, the DT will be 2-3 blocks to the East, but within walking distance. Do I hear "Mattress Hop?" ^
Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, UA Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Diamond/Ambassador, Hyatt Explor
This property opens in August. Who is ready to try it and give us some feedbacks?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 4:27 am

Programs: UA Gold (Million Miler), FI Gold, Bonvoy Titanium
No way are there four HH properties in Liberia! I'm assuming there is another Monrovia somewhere?
Old Jul 30, 2007, 5:05 am

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Karter
No way are there four HH properties in Liberia! I'm assuming there is another Monrovia somewhere?
Monrovia, CA.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:39 am

Any idea why there's a need for so many rooms in this area? Other than Santa Anita racetrack, which is only seasonal, I'm not sure there's a whole lot of business/leisure activities to do?
Old Aug 2, 2007, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drjhwang
Any idea why there's a need for so many rooms in this area? Other than Santa Anita racetrack, which is only seasonal, I'm not sure there's a whole lot of business/leisure activities to do?
Speaking with the front desk manager at the HGI Arcadia, their property is consistantly full during the week and weekends. Same with the ES across the street. Didn't check with the HI, though. Another HH property wouldn't hurt us mattress runner! ^
Old Aug 3, 2007, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by drjhwang
It's near Pasadena for one thing (e.g. the Rose Bowl, which hosts many events, not just the Jan. 1 game). It's also not far from Irwindale, which used to (still does?) have a lot of large businesses due to tremendous incentives offered by the City. Miller Brewing has a plant there and there are a number of other large industrial plants in the vicinity. There are also a number of colleges in the area and tons of smaller businesses up and down the 210 Freeway.

Arcadia is considered more upscale than some of the other nearby communities, so perhaps that's why they decided to concentrate the hotels there. Or perhaps that's where the most appropriate properties were...
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:08 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Trip report -- January 2008

Stayed here twice this month. I frequently stay at the nearby ES and this was a nice change. The decor is modern, beds are great. Bathrooms were nice, with plenty of amenities; both rooms that I received had 4 foot showers, no tub. Neither room had a desk, but had a built-in couch along the window and there was a long rolling table that looked like it could be wheeled over to the couch or alternatively over the bed. Flat screen TV.

As a diamond, I received a coupon for the breakfast buffet and a coupon for one free drink at the bar. However, I had to ask for the coupons. Staff was pleasant but perhaps a bit inexperienced. USA Today but no WSJ. Breakfast buffet was not spectacular but was good.

The downsides: the wall heating/ac unit is noisy, and only seemed to have one fan speed (supersonic). I could hear the doors slam down the hallway. Both nights, I had rooms facing away from the 210 freeway and I suspect that the rooms across the hall were noisier. Finally, the rooms are not large, although they seemed spacious enough with the modern furniture. If you are looking for a larger room, the ES would be better. I didn't see any suites. Their website indicates that they have standard rooms and larger rooms, and I'm sure I wasn't upgraded to a larger room.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:24 am

Any stays in the past four-and-a-half years? I'm scheduled for three weeks.
Old May 22, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA PLT
Originally Posted by Karter
This was my first thought when reading the thread title. Too bad; Anthony Bourdain made it seem like a cool place.
Old May 22, 2012, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Any stays in the past four-and-a-half years? I'm scheduled for three weeks.
Have stayed there a few times when the HGI and ES are both fully booked. It's much better than other DT properties in the LA area. Large and very inviting lobby. Nice and clean rooms with most of them being the walk-in shower type with no tub. Good gold/diamond breakfast. Lots of lunch/dinner choices around as well.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:17 pm

Three-Week Stay

Location: The Doubletree is located on Huntington Boulevard among a variety of strip shopping centers and similar businesses of a slightly better-than-average quality (clearly my opinion here). Mostly chains. The area is clean and feels quite safe. The 210 freeway is very close by, as are three other HHonors properties (Embassy Suites and Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn). Walkable hotel hopping. Large parking lot, but with some reserved for the adjacent Claim Jumper restaurant. Parking was tight one night during the three weeks I was there, but only one night.
Check-In: Two check-in stations, one designated as HHonors. I never encountered a line deeper than two people. Ever a major delay. Pleasant front desk folk every time. One person failed to change my check-out date as I requested when checking in, but otherwise, no “fails”. Always had a key packet waiting (I’d always done on-line check-in) with vouchers for Diamond breakfast and evening drinks.
Room: Botique-y feel. Dark tones. Really low beds. Granite/stone bathroom/shower. Some wooden touches about the room. Gooseneck reading lights over the beds. Somewhat noisy window HVAC unit with wall-mounted control. No noise detected from adjacent rooms. Standard-issue toiletries, based on other recent DT experiences. (I don’t pay much attention. Perhaps I would if I had hair.) Refrigerator and microwave, at least on executive floor. (I don’t recall for my stays on non-executive floor.)
Other Facilities: Nice looking pool area. Good gym with two ellipticals, once recumbent bike, two or three treadmills, weights and one of those big ball things. Water, earbuds and towels always available. TVs in the cardio equipment. Everything I tried worked. Lots of windows. There’s a control to turn on/off/up the piped in music. (I hate it when there isn’t such a control.) The lobby is “inviting”, and there are a few couches around where you might actually sit and talk to someone.
Lounge: Nope.
HHonors Diamond Treatment: Better-than-average full breakfast buffet, with pretty good service in the restaurant. Lots of fruit, cereal, (runny) oatmeal, bacon, breads, potatoes, pancakes/waffles/French toast and someone whipping up omlettes.
Overall: I’d go back anytime. No problems (other than the check-out date change.)

AAA Rate $136.50
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:22 pm

Seven months since (my) most recent post. I really have grown fond of this place over the course of fifteen stays. The oatmeal is still runny, but the parking lot hasn't ever filled up again. The front desk hasn't let me down. The fitness center has a bit of new/upgraded equipment that I happen to like. (Precor ellipticals that will actually hold a book. Yay!)

36 percent more "character" than any Doubletree I can remember (aside from Wits, Arctic Clubs and that place in Fort Lauderdale - Gallery One.)

I've been there enough that there really aren't any positive "surprises", but I haven't had any "bummers" to speak of.

Back for two more nights/stays next week.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I just checked in a few hours ago and first and not only did I NOT get an upgrade, I got thrown in a handicapped accessible room, which I consider unacceptable for a Diamond. Most important though it really pisses me off when a hotel room doesn't have adequate drawer space. The draw sizes of the few that are there are laughable The amount of drawer space at this Doubletree fits about a third of my suitcase and I have three suitcases. Not amused at the attempt at a modern design with complete lack of functionality. The bed is below my knees and I could "barely" fit all my hanging stuff into the narrow wardrobe and its not one of those situations where it in Midtown Manhattan and so the whole room is only a postage stamp, there is plenty of space for several sets of drawers.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:59 pm

Staying at this property in about a week for two nights. Looking forward to a DT with more
of a boutique feel. Will report back on elite breakfast and if given an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.