Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Stays versus Nights: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2001, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

What is the difference between a stay and a night. thanks in advance
Old Jan 19, 2001, 8:11 pm

Stay: Total number of consecutive paid nights spent.

AFAIK checking in the same hotel within a 24 hr period is considered a continuation of the same stay.

Old Jan 19, 2001, 8:12 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
One stay = one check in and check out, regardles of the number of nites recorded on your bill.

If your going for stays, you might want to check out and move to another property. That way you maximize the number of stays.

It's easier to qualify for VIP status based on the no. of stays, rather than the no. of nites.
Old Jan 19, 2001, 9:40 pm

Location: San Antonio, Tx USA PM-DL Diamond VIP-Hilton PC Hertz
I for one am glad they qualify on both nights and stays. I was not even close on stays but made diamond on nights.
Old May 5, 2003, 1:14 pm

Programs: Various lustrous chemical elements
What is a stay?

I've just been looking at the HHonors site, and am trying to figure out what the difference between a stay and a night is?

For example, does this mean if I stay one night in 28 different hotels, I'll earn Diamond VIP status? Or is a stay a longer period of time? Or is based on point level now?
Old May 5, 2003, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by barella:
I've just been looking at the HHonors site, and am trying to figure out what the difference between a stay and a night is?

For example, does this mean if I stay one night in 28 different hotels, I'll earn Diamond VIP status? Or is a stay a longer period of time? Or is based on point level now?
</font>
If you have 28 one night stays in 28 different hotels, you do achieve diamond status. Many Fters switch hotels in one area
nightly to gain extra stay status. Obviously, it is easier to gain status through stays than through total nights. You can even do hotel: A-B-A each one night for a total of 3 stays. You can be very creative in this manner. It is a bit of a bother but if you really want that status......
Old May 5, 2003, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In answer to your question, a stay is the time from check in to check out. But a little twist is if you check in spend the night and check out then check back into the same hotel the same day you checked out you do not get an extra stay out of it just more nights. Must change hotels to get more stays on consecutive nights.

Some people say it is easier to qualify on stays. I have never qualified on stays, only nights and have been diamond going on my 4th year.

Hope this helps your understanding of what a stay is.
Old May 6, 2003, 1:08 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by korea71:
You can even do hotel: A-B-A each one night for a total of 3 stays. You can be very creative in this manner. It is a bit of a bother but if you really want that status......</font>
And each time you check in you get a new set of status benefits, such as two bottles of water, cookies etc (depending on the property). So for a three night trip, you can collect 3 stays (going A-B-A as suggested) as well as 6 bottles of water or whatever privilige is offered according to status).
Old May 6, 2003, 8:01 am

And each time you check in you get a new set of status benefits, such as two bottles of water, cookies etc (depending on the property). So for a three night trip, you can collect 3 stays (going A-B-A as suggested) as well as 6 bottles of water or whatever privilige is offered according to status).

also each time you check in (stay) you receive 500 FF miles thanks to the double dip - so 5 days of 'stays' vs 'nights' equals 2500 vs 500 miles !
Old May 6, 2003, 12:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by boston13:

also each time you check in (stay) you receive 500 FF miles thanks to the double dip - so 5 days of 'stays' vs 'nights' equals 2500 vs 500 miles !
</font>
oops

[This message has been edited by korea71 (edited 05-06-2003).]
Old May 6, 2003, 12:49 pm

oops
Old May 11, 2003, 9:14 pm

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Elite qualification: Stays vs. nights

I'm relatively new to hotel programs.

I'll be staying at a hotel for 2 nights; however, I have a reservation for 1 night under one record location and another for the other night.

From your experience, will this be viewed as 2 more stays / 2 more nights towards elite qualification or 1 more stay / 2 more nights towards elite qualification?

Thanks.

- Pat
Old May 12, 2003, 3:44 am

Location: KLM GD, DL PM, AA LT Plt, Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Interconti Amb/PC Spire, etc.
Back-to-back reservations at the same hotel are considered a single stay, 2 nights.
Old May 12, 2003, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Even if you checked out in the morning and returned later that day as a walk-in, the system would catch a check-out followed by a check-in at the same property on the same HHonors# on the same day. You gotta go stay somewhere else for an intervening night for another stay credit.
Old May 12, 2003, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
FWIW, a Select award redemption for 2 rooms, 1 weekend night netted me only 1 stay, but award stays are now qualifying toward status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.