Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Beverly Hilton {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2001, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Arrow The Beverly Hilton {US-CA}

Any recent experiences with staying at Beverly Hilton?
Old Jan 5, 2001, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
About a year ago I was upgraded to a top floor corner suite as Hilton Gold. It's a nice hotel, but years past its hey-day. Merv Griffin owns it now.

A big plus is Trader Vics which still has the best Mai-Tai's in the world.
Old Feb 18, 2001, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a nice, but somewhat dated hotel. As a Gold member, I got an upgrade to an excellent suite with a wrap-around balcony. It's used as a convention hotel primarily and is currently owned by Merv Griffin.
Old Mar 21, 2001, 11:01 am

Beverly Hilton

Traveling to LA and staying at the Beverly Hilton. Can anyone tell me if this is a nice property or if you are just getting the allure of what it used to be.
Old Mar 21, 2001, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM
Stayed last month on an award redemption. The hotel looks like nothing special on the outside, the lobby is nice, the halls look kind of drab, but the suite we got was INCREDIBLE! Very nice, large space.
Amenities seemed to be less than stellar, though we didn't spend a lot of time at the hotel.

Staff were a bit snooty for my taste, but the person I dealt with to arrange the upgrade was great!

Location was surprisingly good, but of course that depends what you need to do in L.A....

Would I spend real money to stay there? Yeah, I might.
Old Mar 21, 2001, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I spent a paid night there (my own money too!) in December. At first glance the hotel looks very dated on the outside, but once my eyes adjusted I rather liked the place. It is well maintained and blends a 50’s look and modern updates very well. I was upgraded to a junior suite as an HH Gold. The room was very elegant in a restrained sort of way with nice big windows and lots of light. I had diner and mai tai’s at Trader Vic’s (at the hotel) which was enjoyable, but expensive. I did not like the $20ish parking fee so parked on the street and discovered BH has annoying no overnight parking restriction, so got a ticket. If you can park overnight in a real city…why not BH…
Old Aug 31, 2001, 2:17 pm

Programs: SW Gold, Marriott Silver, UA Prem Exec, AA Platinum
The Beverly Hilton.. what should I expect?

The picture looks lovely, but I think I recall the name of the hotel from the Price is Right. Isn't that the location where they would send vacation winners? Well that was a LONG time ago... just wanted to know what to expect upon check in on Sunday.
Any trouble getting upgraded as Gold?
Words of wisdom?
Old Aug 31, 2001, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got a large top floor corner suite as a Gold. There is plenty of info on this property here if you do a search.

I think Merv Griffin still owns this property.

[This message has been edited by stimpy (edited 08-31-2001).]
Old Aug 31, 2001, 3:08 pm

Programs: SW Gold, Marriott Silver, UA Prem Exec, AA Platinum
Thanks for the tip. Sorry, I guess I should have searched first. Basically I am going to an old hotel and praying for an upgrade to a suite.
Wish me luck.
Old Sep 2, 2001, 3:15 pm

Programs: HL Gold, SPG Platinum, HY Platinum, EY Gold Elite, EK Gold, LH Gold, AF Platinum
Hi,

I was having the worst ever stay in that hotel. I was Diamond, but still no upgrade to a suite, no fruits (I called them 4 times and they always promised to bring them, but nothing happened).

I was having so many trobles in that hotel that I will never get back there. I hope you have more luck.
Old Oct 20, 2001, 4:20 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Beverly Hilton, Los Angeles - short report

Ive stayed at this property twice over the past 5 weeks, both stays were awards issued with my HHonors points.

My first stay was apparently in a standard room, but I thought it had been recently renovated. The view was not spectacular, but the bathroom was very nice, including Bulgari amenities. For this first stay, I didn't get any special additional amenity as a HHonors gold (Im not sure you are supposed to get one as a mere Gold VIP).

My second stay started off better, as upon check-in I was handed an envelope where I had been catalogued as a Diamond (?), and I was given a Towers Room and complimentary continental breakfast. The room was in a higher floor (6th if my memory doesn't fail me) but this room was older, not renovated and the bathroom amenities were just regular Hilton stuff.

Im not sure what the criteria is for issuing award stay rooms, perhaps they just manage their occupancy and issue rooms as they become available?

Overall, this hotel is nice, although clearly its past it's prime when compared to other properties nearby (in the BH area). The construction that has come up around the hotel has killed most of its view, but still staff is generally very nice. They could be a little more flexible regarding check-out times, I have not been successful in getting an extra 2 hours, and I don't think that the hotel was booked full at the times.

------------------
Gaucho100K
Old Apr 21, 2002, 2:58 pm

Hilton Beverly Hills Experience

I stayed at the Beverly Hills Hilton this past weekend. I have many, many HHonors points after years of a lot of travel. This was my first time actually using those points.

The reservation
Easy. I called the reservations line, made the reservation inside of two minutes including a brief hold, then printed the claim form from the internet. The entire procedure took <10 minutes. When I requested the ‘PP2’ reservation, the representative knew exactly what I was talking about. It was easy to find and print the right information from the web site. This compares favorably to the two hours it took me a few months ago to set up a Marriott rewards reservation.

Upgrade offered and declined
In the morning prior to check-in, I called the Hotel Front Desk to request a Gold upgrade. I was immediately transferred to a manager. She offered me a “Junior Suite” with a couch and two bathrooms, but suggested that I keep the room they had already locked up for me. The manager explained that my Gold status got me a non-smoking “non-suite deluxe room” on the 7th floor – the top floor available – with balcony and nice view. And the floor was recently renovated. I said OK.

The room
After a quick check-in, I headed up to my room. Before I could get from the front desk to the elevator, employees offered no fewer than 3 times to carry my bag. I smiled and declined.

The room was on the 7th floor of the main wing, with the 8th floor consisting of only suites I could never afford. The hallways and room carpets had miscellaneous stains. The room size was adequate, about 25% larger than typical Hampton Inn room. The balcony was very nice. I expected something that two people could not fit on without squeezing. However, the balcony ran the full length of the room. It had two comfortable chairs, end table and foot rest, and still plenty of space for additional chairs.

A nice robe waited for me in the closet. Those teeny Hilton Nutragena shampoos and soaps were provided, along with a small bottle of Literment. The shower/bathroom showed it’s age with separate nozzles for bathtub vs. shower but was clean.

Other amenities: huge assortment of overpriced honor bar stuff ($4 for a bag of M&M’s beats even Waldorf’s prices), coffee maker.

Housekeeping blunders
After a night out, I woke up @ 7:15 a.m. on Sunday. The Sunday paper was left by my door, so I decided to brew myself a cup of coffee and read the Sunday paper lounging on the balcony in my robe while the run was rising. Oops, no coffee. I called Housekeeping. The manager on the line promised to have it sent up “right away”. Do I need anything else?, she asked. I replied that I could use shampoo. Again, she says, “Right away”. Hmmm.

7:45: I give up on the coffee and decide to read the newspaper without coffee (takes away from the experience). The phone rings. Housekeeping manager tells me that the maid stopped by but no one answered the door. I ask if the maid tried ringing the bell? Well, no. The maid returns in 2 minutes with coffee, but no shampoo. I ask the maid about the shampoo. She replies that she knows nothing. As soon as the door closes, the manager calls to see if everything is OK. I explain that there is no shampoo. She promises to have that brought up “right away”. I request that if I don’t answer the door, just to leave the shampoo by the door. And, try to use the bell.

8:30: Done with paper. Take a shower (using every last drop of the old shampoo bottle).

8:45: Head down to breakfast

9:15: Maid wakes up friend in next room because she’s barging on my door yelling, “Housekeeping – I have your shampoo.” Hmmm.

Also: No turndown service the 2nd night; shorted and bath towels and pillows.

I mentioned all of these little things that added up to the clerk at the front desk. He said that I should expect a call from the facilities manager. That was a week ago.

Workout
The workout room was clean and with modern equipment, much like the TS Hilton. This is not a spa workout room. I decided that my workout was going to be in the pool. The heated pool felt great and was long enough to do laps. Plenty of towels available, and bottled water available from the bar or Room Service (for a price).

Other notes: nice bar by the pool with complementary use of pool table and afternoon munchies; bottom floor hallway is a shrine to Merv Griffin (Yes, he is still alive. I asked the bartender if ‘The elevator killer’ still stops by. He chuckled and said that Mr. Griffin was there a couple weeks ago.)

------------------
On the road, In the air,
I enjoy travel, From here to there.

[This message has been edited by ontheroad (edited 04-21-2002).]
Old Apr 21, 2002, 5:53 pm

I have stayed at the Beverly Hilton and I can say I wasn't impressed with what you get for the value. I now stay just up the street at the Doubletree Hotel and always get the executive suite each time.

A lot nicer for the money spent.
Old Apr 21, 2002, 8:47 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
I agree... Ive stayed there 2-3 times and had mixed experiences...
Old Apr 22, 2002, 10:24 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold (current GGL), HH Diamond
Speaking of the over-priced goodies ... how about the $7.50 for a bottle of Evian?

I stayed at the hotel in February for a conference being held at the hotel. The hotel seems a little dated to me, and I probably wouldn't stay there again if I wasn't attending a conference at the hotel.

That said, I was on a cheap AAA rate, and they upgraded me to a nice two room suite with a nice corner balcony ... best upgrade I've got at a Hilton property for a 5 night stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.