Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Member Benefits may be Excluded when Paying Resort Fees

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH D

At the end of 2012 the qualification requirement to become Gold or Diamond went up. At that time I made a digital print of the 'Member Benefits' page. Looking at this same page today, some exiting changes have been made to our benefits.

Was
† Complimentary access is for hotel-owned-and-operated fitness centers and health club facilities, only during stays.

Now
† Complimentary access is for hotel-owned-and-operated fitness centers and health club facilities, only during stays. This benefit may not be complimentary at properties with a resort charge.

Was
<nothing>

Today††† In-Room High-Speed Internet Access, Fitness Center / Health Club Access, In-Room Movie and Bottled Water benefits may not be complimentary at properties with a resort charge.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:25 am
cjd

Perhaps your title should be changed to "Member Benefits now do NOT include Resort Fees." Unless I am reading your thread wrong, it means that Gold and Diamond members will most likely have to pay the Resort Fee to get the benefits which were previously free. Another confirmation of a downgrade of services
Old Mar 16, 2013, 4:35 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Yeah, another reason to leave my favorite hotel chain in the dust.

Wow what next, drop the free breakfast?
Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond
This is absurd, resort fee's should be waived for elite members.

Hilton is going down in my opinion!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Yep, please can we have a thread title change? I was hopeful for a minute that they were comping resort fees for elites! (as SPG do, at least at some of their properties)
Old Mar 16, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
At least they announced the devaluation; this was done ever so stealthily, like maybe no one was going to notice. Sheeesh!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 4:51 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Link to the Diamond benefit page is here.

If you read it one way, it makes it sound as if the internet etc. is in addition to the resort fee.

Our understanding has been that it is included in the resort fee.

So, If a property does not want to offer free internet, just charge a resort fee.

I pasted it all below (for better format go to the web page through the link):

ACHIEVING STATUS

To achieve or retain HHonors Diamond status, you need to earn either:
(1) 30 stays in a calendar year, or
(2) 60 nights in a calendar year, or
(3) 120,000 HHonors Base Points in a calendar year

Benefits of HHonors Diamond status include:

50% ELITE STATUS BONUS

With Diamond elite status, you automatically receive a 50% bonus on all the HHonors Base Points you earn.

48-HOUR ROOM GUARANTEE

Need a room at the last minute? You are guaranteed a room when you make a reservation at least 48 hours prior to your arrival.‡‡

HOTEL BENEFITS

Members with Diamond status receive all member benefits†††:

Quick reservations and check-ins based on your room preferences
Late check-out*
Express check-out
Spouse stays free**
Complimentary access to fitness centers and health clubs†
Two complimentary bottles of water per stay (at Waldorf Astoria™ Hotels & Resorts, Conrad® Hotels & Resorts, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, DoubleTree by Hilton™, Embassy Suites Hotels™, Hilton Garden Inn™ and Hilton Grand Vacations™ hotels)†††
eCheck-In: Select your room and check in online up to 24 hours in advance at participating properties
Complimentary In-Room, High-Speed Internet Access during stays at Waldorf Astoria™ Hotels & Resorts, Conrad® Hotels & Resorts, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, DoubleTree by Hilton™, Embassy Suites Hotels™ and Hilton Grand Vacations™†††

MY WAY DIAMOND MEMBERSHIP HOTEL BENEFITS:††

Waldorf Astoria™ Hotels & Resorts

Space-available upgrade to a preferred room
Choice of two among the following: 1,000 HHonors Bonus Points per stay; one in-room movie††† per stay; or a spa, golf or restaurant discount, as designated by the property

Conrad® Hotels & Resorts, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, DoubleTree by Hilton™

Space-available upgrade to a preferred room
1,000 HHonors Bonus Points per stay
A complimentary continental breakfast for you and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay
Executive Floor Lounge Access (available at select properties‡)

Embassy Suites Hotels™

1,000 HHonors Bonus Points per stay or three snack/refreshment choices per stay

Hilton Garden Inn™

750 HHonors Bonus Points per stay or a complimentary Hot Cooked-to-Order Breakfast for you and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay

Hampton™

250 HHonors Bonus Points per stay or snack and water

Homewood Suites by Hilton™

250 HHonors bonus points per stay or two bottles of water and Pepperidge Farm cookies per stay

Home2 Suites by Hilton™

100 HHonors Bonus Points per stay or choice of snack and bottled water per stay

Hilton Grand Vacations™

2,000 HHonors Bonus Points per stay

For members visiting our properties in the Maldives, please click here to view our specific HHonors offerings in this region.

Terms and Conditions

* Late check-out must be requested and is subject to availability.

** Spouse stays free in member's room on qualifying stays, available at all hotels in the Hilton Worldwide portfolio of brands, except Hampton™ hotels. This benefit does not apply at any hotel when the rate includes additional components (for example, meals, activities, parking, etc.) that are quoted as a per person or per room charge.

*** Service of alcoholic beverages is subject to local laws.

† Complimentary access is for hotel-owned-and-operated fitness centers and health club facilities, only during stays. This benefit may not be complimentary at properties with a resort charge.

†† Restrictions and exclusions apply. Not all benefits apply at all properties. See Terms & Conditions for details.

††† In-Room High-Speed Internet Access, Fitness Center / Health Club Access, In-Room Movie and Bottled Water benefits may not be complimentary at properties with a resort charge.

‡ Executive Floor Lounge Access Policy: The following policy applies at all Conrad® Hotels & Resorts, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, and DoubleTree by Hilton™ hotels with Executive Floor Lounges. Executive Floor Lounges are available only at select properties.

• If you are an HHonors guest with Gold status, you and up to one additional registered guest in the same room will be granted complimentary access to the Executive Floor Lounge only if you receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor or an upgrade to a room type that confers Executive Floor Lounge access benefits.

• If you are an HHonors guest with Diamond status, you and up to one additional registered guest in the same room will always enjoy complimentary access to the Executive Floor Lounge, even if you do not receive a room upgrade to the Executive Floor.

‡‡ Restrictions apply on guaranteed availability. See HHonors Terms & Conditions.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
It seems to me they are trying to pre-emptively foil the argument that 'as a diamond member why should I be paying a resort fee when it covers what should be complimentary for me in the first place'. The particularly relevant points are the footnotes with 1 and 3 crosses.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Oh absolutely - I'm certain that's why they're doing it. Totally devalues Diamond membership though and I'll be putting in a complaint each time in the hope of at least getting a few points service recovery!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 8:26 am

"this benefit may not be available"...."when we are charging you for it...."
manager!
Old Mar 17, 2013, 9:18 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Hilton has always allowed individual properties to set their own rules, terms and conditions, unfortunate that they refuse to enforce consistent standards.

The loss of Diamond benefits like free breakfast (which is already eroding) and internet access would be a MUCH bigger deal to me than the recent redemption realignment, would result in the loss of my business.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wait, a hotel can now add a "resort charge" and take away free internet for diamonds? Is this a joke?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Sisosig
At the end of 2012 the qualification requirement to become Gold or Diamond went up. At that time I made a digital print of the 'Member Benefits' page. Looking at this same page today, some exiting changes have been made to our benefits.

Was
† Complimentary access is for hotel-owned-and-operated fitness centers and health club facilities, only during stays.

Now

Was
<nothing>

Today††† In-Room High-Speed Internet Access, Fitness Center / Health Club Access, In-Room Movie and Bottled Water benefits may not be complimentary at properties with a resort charge.
Hilton made this change to its website on February 25, 2013, and had it dated February 11, 2013. I wrote a piece about it on 25th of last month.

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/02/25/h...tions-changes/

Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Wait, a hotel can now add a "resort charge" and take away free internet for diamonds? Is this a joke?
We wouldn't want properties with many million dollars of profit losing out on $20/day now would we?
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:34 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
A W=A property in Utah which shall remain nameless, would have the GSAs just remove the "internet, fitness center, spa" from their resort fee spiel if they were checking in a Gold or Diamond guest. That way, the guest would think their internet, etc., was their benefits. The other guests would get the whole talk about the fee including those things AND the shuttle, parking, s'mores.
Who was charged the resort fee changed almost daily: everyone, no Diamonds/Golds, No Diamonds, everyone, No diamonds on points stay, everyone, no one on point stays... It wasn't the GSAs who changed this, but management. Between that and the stepped-up agressiveness of upsells vs upgrades. trying to squeeze every possible penny out of the guests. Because, you know, if you an afford to stay at a W=A, you can afford to pay more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.