Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Aspiration HHonor Property to take 40 yr old mom to.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIAMOND, SPG PLATINUM, HILTON DIAMOND

Hi all,

I just graduated from college and about to conclude my first year of professional work life. God, I love hotels, but my job doesn't really allow for too much traveling. That being said, I still have about 500k hilton pts to burn before devaluation. My mom haven't taken any vacation over the past few years and I really would like to bring her to somewhere special. We are located in NE part of USA and would prefer to go somewhere Europe/Asia for a good 8-10 day trip. I would like to travel around Christmas of 2013. Which aspiration property would be fairly easy to get to for a relaxing vacation?

I thought about Koh Samui and Maldives, but they are both fairly inconvenient to get to.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will be paying for the full trip, (transportation, food, etc.. so money would be a factor).

1. Airfare most likely paid in cash, because I have fewer than 50k sky miles and about 80k in United miles
2. Hopefully somewhere warm in the winter month of northern hemisphere
3. A combination of historical/cultural sightseeing with villa resort would be nice.
4. No limitation of flight hours, but hopefully air tix no more than 1.5k

Thanks.

Lin.

Last edited by Lin Hang Ren; Feb 28, 2013 at 3:12 pm
Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
A few additional questions to help with ideas (if you don't mind):
1) Is airfare paid in cash or do you also plan on using miles?
2) Is there a desire to stick with cold weather (i.e. your in the NE) or go to a more warmer climate
3) Are you looking to lounge around or sight see? Any particular interests? Cultural, historical, etc.
4) Is there any specific limitation geographically/logistically (i.e. flight time vs. easy to get to)

You certainly have plenty of points for nights just about anywhere, and there are aspirational properties just about everywhere (if you consider high end hotels in expensive cities and expensive resorts in the middle of nowhere one and the same).
Old Feb 28, 2013, 2:54 pm

Conrad Tokyo.

Right now it is 37500 point a night for your 8-10 nights. After, it would be 95,000 point a night in December with 1 or maybe 2 free nights. Flights to Tokyo from US coasts are usually not that expansive. But everything else in Japan is expansive though.. at least you don't have to pay for breakfast!
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
A few additional questions to help with ideas (if you don't mind):
1) Is airfare paid in cash or do you also plan on using miles?
2) Is there a desire to stick with cold weather (i.e. your in the NE) or go to a more warmer climate
3) Are you looking to lounge around or sight see? Any particular interests? Cultural, historical, etc.
4) Is there any specific limitation geographically/logistically (i.e. flight time vs. easy to get to)

You certainly have plenty of points for nights just about anywhere, and there are aspirational properties just about everywhere (if you consider high end hotels in expensive cities and expensive resorts in the middle of nowhere one and the same).
updated. thanks in advance.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I might modify Need's suggestion to say one AXON at Conrad Tokyo and one AXON at Conrad HKG. I think 8 days in Tokyo could be overkill for most travelers.

Or maybe one city stay and one resort stay elsewhere in Asia...kinda depends on what you're after. Both Tokyo and Hong Kong are fantastic cities, although I felt like there was more variety in HK and easier navigation in general for Westerners since the whole area is quite multilingual. Nice thing about HK is that you can escape the city for a day pretty easily using public transportation...I suspect that might have been a little harder in Tokyo (although we didn't try).

You could certainly spend 8-10 days in Japan, but if you did that I'd still say 1 AXON at the Conrad and then explore elsewhere in the country.

The Hilton in Shinjuku is an acceptable backup if the Conrad Tokyo doesn't have standard rooms. Solid hotel, walk to multiple metro lines, fairly brand-standard, good but sometimes crowded lounge.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
8 - 10 days with mom will never be relaxing...but kudos for thinking of taking her on a nice trip.

I vote for Conrad Bali for relaxing/cultural sites combined. You should get a nice upgrade if you are a Diamond. I would also choose 1 destination if you have to use cash for plane tickets as adding a stop over (let say in Europe) might drive up the ticket price.

I would also save your trip to the super aspirational properties for more of a romantic trip in the future. I can't picture mom and son in a romantic setting. Just saying.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:33 pm

The answer you would like can be answered with another question; if she could go anywhere in the world, do anything in the world, see anything in the world, or meet anyone in the world, what would she answer?

If you don't know, then ask her. However, she may have mentioned an aspiration on her own.

For instance, my in laws always wanted to do a Viking cruise on a European river. If your mother always wanted to see Paul McCartney then a trip to a concert destination might be in order. Maybe she always wanted to see the Vatican, visit all of the Disney parks around the world, or see Mt Everest, then that's where you go and do.

Good luck.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:29 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
Originally Posted by Greysword
The answer you would like can be answered with another question; if she could go anywhere in the world, do anything in the world, see anything in the world, or meet anyone in the world, what would she answer?

If you don't know, then ask her. However, she may have mentioned an aspiration on her own.

For instance, my in laws always wanted to do a Viking cruise on a European river. If your mother always wanted to see Paul McCartney then a trip to a concert destination might be in order. Maybe she always wanted to see the Vatican, visit all of the Disney parks around the world, or see Mt Everest, then that's where you go and do.

Good luck.
I absolutely second that. See where she wants to go, and then look if you can use your points there. Hopefully one or two places where she wants to go will have a property worth redeeming in.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by pinniped
I might modify Need's suggestion to say one AXON at Conrad Tokyo and one AXON at Conrad HKG. I think 8 days in Tokyo could be overkill for most travelers.
You're presuming the OP has a Hilton Amex card there...
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Greysword

Good luck.
Thank you for this whole-hearted input. However she is not a travel savvy person. She will say I will go where ever you want to go to.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stifle
I actually don't have one. I'm using citi reserve for Hilton Stays and Sapphire for others. So a 6-night stay is more desirable as I can use the elite member rate at 25%.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yoonny
8 - 10 days with mom will never be relaxing...but kudos for thinking of taking her on a nice trip.

I vote for Conrad Bali for relaxing/cultural sites combined. You should get a nice upgrade if you are a Diamond. I would also choose 1 destination if you have to use cash for plane tickets as adding a stop over (let say in Europe) might drive up the ticket price.

I would also save your trip to the super aspirational properties for more of a romantic trip in the future. I can't picture mom and son in a romantic setting. Just saying.
Bali is do-able using cash, since the rates are as low as $150/night. But this is a good place to visit for sure. I will look into it.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:23 am

You are concerned with money and have somewhat limited time. Its winter so I'd say that none of Europe makes that much sense. You don't like the travel time to Thailand yet you said you wanted to go to Europe or Asia.

I am going to ignore the Europe and Asia part and recommend the Hilton Los Cabos. Hotel is great. One of Hilton's best resorts. Cultural activities in the area plus its beautiful. Weather will be good. Flight will be short and not very expensive. I'd say it meets all your criteria except its in North America.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stifle
Absolutely. HH Diamond based on the U.S. Yes, I assume the presence of an Amex.

Originally Posted by Lin Hang Ren
I actually don't have one. I'm using citi reserve for Hilton Stays and Sapphire for others. So a 6-night stay is more desirable as I can use the elite member rate at 25%.
Well, if 4-day stays strike your fancy, you could always get the Amex, redeem your AXON's, enjoy the sign-up bonus points, and then dump the card.

AXON is dead at the end of this month - another thing that might factor in is whether your credit history is sufficient to get an instant approval. In my first year out of college I was traveling a ton with Diner's Club, but I didn't have to get it with my own credit history - it was company-backed.

Yet a third option is to look closely and see if your desired properties are really devaluing. Parts of Asia are; other parts aren't. (Although as I write this, I'm guessing these big-city Conrads we all love will get more expensive.) Your trip might fit okay with two 5-night awards in the new system.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Lin Hang Ren
Bali is do-able using cash, since the rates are as low as $150/night. But this is a good place to visit for sure. I will look into it.
I would suggest 4 nights Bali, 4 nights Moorea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.