Wiki Posts
Search

Noise related questions...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2012, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, US Gold
Noise related questions...

I'm new to traveling for work and I know that many of you here have more experience with staying in a hotel than I do so I figured this would be a good place to ask me question. As you could have guessed this is about dealing with noise while saying at a hotel. As it happens I have had two issues in the same day. He first is while trying to get some work done in the afternoon in my room while some one was using a sledge hammer on the room above me to do some demolition work. I'm guessing they were breaking up concrete to get to some plumbing. I don't begrudge the hotel for getting work done but the on site "business center" is in a hallway a few steps from the front door and not fit for much more then printing out some papers. It's definitely not secluded enough to discuss anything with a customer. The other issues is ongoing as of 11:45 pm since I can hear every word of the conversation / drinking game that's going on in the room below me. I did make a call down to the front desk to see if they could check in on them but the staff has come and gone and they are still going strong.

My issues is that I'm of two minds on the problem and while I'm not one to make a big stink over anything that doesn't directly impact my personal safety. The front desk let me know that there would be more construction above me tomorrow so I have made plans to find a proper office for the day and I have ear plugs that should take care of most of the conversation from the party below but should I bring it up to some one or just invest in better ear plugs and expect that more hotel stays will be closer to staying in a dorm environment?

I know that this is a bit of a rant but any useful advice would be great about now... It's been a long day.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Require them to move you to a quieter room. Do it right now, and just tell them you couldn't get business done today,and you can't sleep tonight where you are.

Simplest is usually best.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
I agree that you should ask to be moved. Just say that the construction above you interfered with your work today and the drinking game downstairs is preventing you from sleeping.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Ask for another room.

if they say no, see if there's another hotel nearby and go there, cancel the rest of your stay, and let them know why.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Require them to move you to a quieter room. Do it right now, and just tell them you couldn't get business done today,and you can't sleep tonight where you are.

Simplest is usually best.
I did ask about that earlier in the day but all of the "pet friendly" rooms are booked. That will teach me to travel with two cats because its the "easy" option.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by boston813
I did ask about that earlier in the day but all of the "pet friendly" rooms are booked. That will teach me to travel with two cats because its the "easy" option.
Then just drunk dial for 10 X-large pizzas to be delivered to the partiers' room, put in your earplugs, and try to get some sleep.

Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:45 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Then just drunk dial for 10 X-large pizzas to be delivered to the partiers' room, put in your earplugs, and try to get some sleep.

That's so devious!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:46 pm
Suspended

Cool

Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
That's so devious!
Just juvenile, actually....

But delicious to ponder.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Welcome to FT --

One thing you should do is get Gold status (or higher) if you don't have it already and there are ways you can do this by getting the right credit card, or by just staying four times at Hiltons.

Poke around this forum and you'll find them.

Second, you should set your profile to get rooms away from the elevators... it'll mean a longer walk to your room, but fewer people walking by particularly when they're coming back at night.

Bob H
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BobH
Welcome to FT --

One thing you should do is get Gold status (or higher) if you don't have it already and there are ways you can do this by getting the right credit card, or by just staying four times at Hiltons.

Poke around this forum and you'll find them.

Second, you should set your profile to get rooms away from the elevators... it'll mean a longer walk to your room, but fewer people walking by particularly when they're coming back at night.

Bob H

I'll be gold by this Sunday and if things continue at this rate I may get to diamond by the end of the year. I'll be sure to take a look over my settings though. That's a good idea.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by boston813
You took two cats along on a business trip?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gemac
You took two cats along on a business trip?
My fiance and I both got sent down to Durham (different companies) for the same 2 week period so I'm tagging along on her hotel room and by bringing the cats we were able to shut down the house for the 2 weeks and not worry about people checking in on them.

Not the best solution in the world but it seems to have worked.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I'm rather non-confrontational, but a few years back got slammed by that kind of internal building construction; I checked out early, and the property staff weren't all that concerned. I followed up with HHonors, eventually getting the points equivalent to the night's stay deposited to my account by the property manager. I would've gone down in person to speak with the desk staff after the second visit didn't stop the party.

Now, after the fact, I'd urge you to tell gold@HHonors about it when your status comes through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.