Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What's a good compensation for bad stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

I had stayed over at the Stansted Hilton Airport hotel last night.

I had already given a brief outline here so didn't want to double post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19504232-post33.html

But would like to add the following:

When discussing about the slow internet to the Duty Manager, I noticed that the phone at reception was ringing off the hook. There was one person on duty and she was 'busy' checking in someone. How much effort does it take to pick up the phone and ask the person to hold? What does she do? She calmly walks over to the phone that was ringing and then turned down the volume of the phone so that it wouldn't bother her !!

I was so shocked ! I looked over at the manager and asked if she saw it - and she didn't think it was unusual !!

When I came down for dinner, the same F&B manager saw me, but didn't offer anything other than "Table for one"?

I tried the wifi at the restaurant - it was also slow.. too slow for my VPN to even log on ! I missed a critical and important message due to this fact.

The little signboard at the hotel shuttle pick up at Stansted Airport said that one may charge the 2 quid bus fee to the room. Upon boarding the bus driver said no! Why have that on the sign when this is not possible. Thank goodness I had change!

======
Anyway, upon check out, I did manage to speak to the hotel Manager, who offered to give me 20,000 points. Which I laughed off because that's not even enough to redeem a stay at this hotel which requires 35,000 points.

So what do you think is a fair compensation from this bad stay? Do you think I can ask for a "Be My Guest " certificate?
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:20 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
To me your only complaint was the slow internet, which unless they guaranteed you a certain speed connection, is not a complaint at all.

It's certainly not worth a free night there.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:24 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by cordelli
To me your only complaint was the slow internet, which unless they guaranteed you a certain speed connection, is not a complaint at all.

It's certainly not worth a free night there.
slow internet isn't a bad stay to me -- no a/c on a hot night might be, no water might be, no electricity might be ad nauseum

save your complaints for when something really goes bad.

Bob H
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Agree with Cordelli. I think 20,000 points was really generous.

Mike
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Yep, bad internet... happens, move on.

Sorry, but this really doesn't warrant a lot, certainly not a free stay.
If staying online is critical you should be prepared. I understand it's annoying and you expected better, but it is one of those things that still happens.

Your complaint to the hotel was more than justified, but so is the compensation offered.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Sorry I'm with the majority here, I don't think any of what happened would qualify for "bad stay". Furthermore, I think the 20,000 points offered is MORE than generous. Had I been in your shoes I'd have been happy with 5,000.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by BobH
slow internet isn't a bad stay to me -- no a/c on a hot night might be, no water might be, no electricity might be ad nauseum

save your complaints for when something really goes bad.

Bob H
I wholeheartedly agree. It would be different if the issue prevented one from enjoying a good night's sleep, like a chain driven A/C unit.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I had stayed over at the Stansted Hilton Airport hotel last night.

I had already given a brief outline here so didn't want to double post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/19504232-post33.html

But would like to add the following:

When discussing about the slow internet to the Duty Manager, I noticed that the phone at reception was ringing off the hook. There was one person on duty and she was 'busy' checking in someone. How much effort does it take to pick up the phone and ask the person to hold? What does she do? She calmly walks over to the phone that was ringing and then turned down the volume of the phone so that it wouldn't bother her !!

I was so shocked ! I looked over at the manager and asked if she saw it - and she didn't think it was unusual !!

When I came down for dinner, the same F&B manager saw me, but didn't offer anything other than "Table for one"?

I tried the wifi at the restaurant - it was also slow.. too slow for my VPN to even log on ! I missed a critical and important message due to this fact.

The little signboard at the hotel shuttle pick up at Stansted Airport said that one may charge the 2 quid bus fee to the room. Upon boarding the bus driver said no! Why have that on the sign when this is not possible. Thank goodness I had change!

======
Anyway, upon check out, I did manage to speak to the hotel Manager, who offered to give me 20,000 points. Which I laughed off because that's not even enough to redeem a stay at this hotel which requires 35,000 points.

So what do you think is a fair compensation from this bad stay? Do you think I can ask for a "Be My Guest " certificate?
Should have taken the money and ran. Doubt that offer is going to come to you again.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
As noted in OP's linked review post, the problem was compounded by lack of ability to contact anyone about the problem (phone not picked up by operator, FD, etc.).

Personally Internet service is a big deal - when I'm on the road whether for business or leisure, I need to do work, and that almost always requires Internet access so I would be in quite a bit of trouble if a hotel's advertised Internet service was unusable. Furthermore, I'd expect more of a response from management than "oh, it's always like this because we're near the airport".
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by CMK10
Sorry I'm with the majority here, I don't think any of what happened would qualify for "bad stay". Furthermore, I think the 20,000 points offered is MORE than generous. Had I been in your shoes I'd have been happy with 5,000.
I agree too. A very generous offer in response to the issues.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I'd say a verbal apology and a promise to look into the matter would have sufficed in this particular case.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:21 pm
Suspended

I had a few issues the other month at a DT, was staying on a MVP rate of $63. When I mentioned to the mgr what would be fair is the amount of pts it takes for a free night , he countered with Comping the stay or 10k. I told him I will take it up with Corp, they offered 15k due to the fact that I was on a discounted rate

Got lucky in that the mgr emailed me and offered 20k or refunding the $$, told him Corp gave me 15k but Id take the extra 5k which he gave me as well

OP I have no idea what your rate was both $$ (GBP) wise and if it was a discounted rate, so that 20k might be alot more then Corp will offer you!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP's complaint is that somebody else's call wasn't answered fast enough. He wants compensation for that horror which didn't even befall him.

If he pursues this, when corporate looks at it, they will likely see that this is just one of those customers who can't be satisfied. Humor him on this one and he'll be back because there weren't enough ice cubes in his drink. Better to say no and cut him off. Hope he goes elsewhere.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Deleted, it was misconstrued as something it was not meant to be

Last edited by cordelli; Oct 17, 2012 at 3:37 pm
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: HH diamond
Wow! Making a mountian out of a mole hill! Slow internet is not enough to make a bad stay. You were offered a more than generous compensation for such a minor complaint.

If internet access is so important to you, why don't you do what many many business ppl do? They have their own connection point to guarantee good access. You can NEVER tell what a hotel's internet is like. Speed also depends on how many ppl are on it. Being an airport hotel, I would imagine there were lots of ppl working on business while overnighting.

IMO, it would have been sufficient for the duty manager to make a note of the complaint and give you an apology. Your complaint is certainly NOT worth a free night stay.

This compensation mind-set is really getting out of hand!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.