Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Room Service charges

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2002, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Question on the essential room service

Does the 17-10% service charge go to the waiter/waitress delivering your food. I have always assumed so, but am I wrong?

I got a strange look today when I added a nominal amount to the additional gratuity field, so am having doubts as to maybe the hotel keeps the delivery charge?
Old Jun 19, 2002, 9:29 am

I always ask the waiter if that amount goes to him/her, because I am as confused as you are.

For one, there is a "delivery charge". Then the gratuity is included. Why should I add anything on top?

P.S. This thread might be moved, as it is not directly related to Hilton matters.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
to make this an official Hilton Thread, I can say that this happened to me at my last hilton stay. As confused as I am, I NEVER add an additional tip as it is plainly listed as a gratuity. If it is not a gratuity, it is up to the employees to get the wording changed so that the guests are not lured into thinking it is the waiters tip.

However if it is a tip, then what more do they want.

Old Jun 19, 2002, 11:06 am

So the question remains, if there is a gratuity and a delivery charge already included, why do they leave the tip line blank and the total amount blank?

Why not fill in all the lines to avoid confusing those of us who feel like we should add a couple more bucks for the delivery person?
Old Jun 19, 2002, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many food service establishments, at hotels and elsewhere, have their credit card software preprogrammed to print a blank line for tips, regardless of whether they are actually planning on soliciting for them.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
I don't mind that the tip and total is left blank because on a few occassion I have "felt" like giving an additional tip for exceptional service (when they actually set the table up, etc.).

But the questiona still hasn't been clearly answered. Does the service charge include gratuity? At Hilton's the blank line says "Tip"; at Marriotts it says "Additional Gratuity". I think the additional makes it somewhat obvious but the "Tip" at Hiltons makes me confused.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 12:07 pm

When placing your room service order by phone, why not simply ask the person answering the phone for clarification. If gratuity is included, you can tell the server that you were informed that tip is included in the service charge.
Old Jun 19, 2002, 5:53 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AC, AS, DL, NH, SQ, SK, UA; BW, CP, HH, IHG, MB
I don't know if this is relevant or not, but at the Tokyo and Tokyo Bay properties, tip is included in the gratuity or "service charge" for all services, including Room Service. It probably has more to do with the culture of Japan (tipping is discouraged) than anything else, though.

Edited to add: The room svc receipts from the above two properties don't even have a line for tipping. So I guess it is cultural. Sorry I couldn't help in answering the original poster's question.

[This message has been edited by Tennen (edited 06-19-2002).]
Old Oct 4, 2002, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Room Service charges

When I am charged a 17% room service service charge plus a fee........ Why in the world should I be expected to tip on top of that????

1st Room Service prices are usually higher than in the restarunt... that's ok... I expect that.

2nd a 17% "service charge" I would normally tip 20%, but since its already included I guess it is ok

3rd a 2.00 delivery fee What the hell is that?

4th Waiter tells me as soon as he hits the roon...before tray is on table that the "service charge" is not a tip... well that blew it for him.

I know that tipping is expected... don't tell me up front.

Somebody, please explain to me the fees, charges and a DEMAND for a tip on food that is already being inflated in price

I am mad as hell and am not going to take it any more
Old Oct 4, 2002, 9:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mikey1003:
I know that tipping is expected... don't tell me up front.
</font>
I don't think tipping is expected in this situation. I don't tip when there is a service charge. I always assumed that to be the tip. If it's not, then what is it, especially if there is already a charge for delivery.
Old Oct 4, 2002, 10:28 pm

I tend to agree - I think they might "expect" a tip, because some people feel guilty about giving them one - but I think that is pretty ridiculous. You can end up paying about double the cost of the food after adding all those "charges". And how much should you tip: 15-20% of the food charge, or that percent on the marked up cost?
Old Oct 5, 2002, 12:43 am

The only times I have experienced room service personnel and bell boys consistently refusing tips is in Japan and Korea.
Old Oct 5, 2002, 5:04 am

Exactly what is the service being tipped?

For a waiter, I'd expect them to take the order, deliver drinks, refresh drinks, deliver multiple courses in proper sequence, check in on us, bus the empties, and provide information. Doing this among a number of tables is real work.

Room service charges already come with the 'delivery' charge, so there is the extra paid for the mere delivery. Beyond that, what is the service provided by the deliverer- "Just set it down there, please?" And then the dirty empties sit outside my door in the corridor for the next 12 hours?

So, OK, I'd tip a buck or two beyond that... but 17% of an already inflated ticket is too much.

So when I'm presented the bill to sign, I look at it and mumble, "so a tip is included, right?" That's a yes or no question, and the proper answer is a simple 'yes.' I sign, thank the deliverer, and quietly close the door behind them. If they have a problem with it, they can take it up with their boss; my part is done.

I love to tip generously; I just hate when what is supposed to be a 'tip' is imposed upon me without choice.
Old Oct 5, 2002, 5:34 am

At the Montréal Bonaventure last week, the room service waiter specifically told me that the tip was already included when I went to sign the room service check, and that nothing additional was expected. I appreciated his candor (even if I knew it already) and he got several Loonies as a reward.
Old Oct 5, 2002, 8:17 am
Original Member

$5-10 max for any room service delivery. If the hotel has autograt, nothing more.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.