Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors versus Hyatt Gold Passport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2001, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond/3MM; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC

I just got an offer to be upgraded to Hyatt Diamond through 2/03 if I stay at 3 Hyatts between 9/1/01 and 11/15/01. It was referred through my Delta Platinum status.

I've already requalified for my Hilton Diamond status through next year, so it's a no-brainer for me to throw 3 nights at Hyatt so I have status at another hotel.

My question is this....how does the Hyatt status compare?

The basic benefits seem fairly similar (except that I have to choose between airline and hotel miles with Hyatt), but I was hoping to find some qualitative opinions from those who've participated in both.

BTW, I looked at the Hyatt board and their Diamond members are pretty steamed about this. It sounds like Hyatt worked with several airlines to solicit their big flyers.

Thanks.
Old Aug 21, 2001, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, LH Senator, Hyatt Diamond
Only Gold with HHonors but after arguing for breakfast so many times, Hyatt wins hands down. I have always been upgraded to a better room (albeit not a suite mind you) with access to Regency Club.

I only stay at Hilton for the promotions, double dipping with miles, or because there is not a reasonable Hyatt in town- ie. New York.

------------------
"Fly me to the moon and let me earn alot of miles."
Old Aug 21, 2001, 7:52 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Hilton does not have a published diamond amenity benefit, while both SPG, Marriott, and Hyatt do offer top teer members some sort of welcome amenity. I am Hilton Gold, and may make Diamond this year. I also, last year, got and took advantage of one of those Hyatt/airline Diamond offers. I do find that a relatively few number of Hyatts, when compared to Hilton, actually have a Regency Club. The Hyatt amenity is the best in the business, and Hyatt has the 800-checkin. The only real benefits from HH Gold to HH Diamond seem to be point bonus, and guaranteed reservation. I have never been HH Diamond, so I don't know if some hotels have undocumented benefits. E.g. do some Hilton properties give Diamonds an amenity on arrival? SPG typically gives suite upgrades, amenity varies widely, and they have no blackouts/cpacity controls on awards. However, SPG does not have as many club lounges as does Hilton/Marriott, and personally I will often go to the club lounge instead of dinner. Also if I am staying somewhere by myself for 1-2 nights, then typically, a suite is not that important, and things like club lounge, amenity, and internet access are more important. Speaking of internet, I don't know that Hyatt offers high speed net access, though several Hiltons/Marriotts have it, as do W's, a few Wstin's, etc.
Old Aug 21, 2001, 11:07 pm

I was a Hyatt Diamond and am now a Hilton Diamond. They are very different in their benefits. Being a Hilton Diamond you can usually get free breakfast and a nominal upgrade. There are more Hilton's than Hyatt's, but the quality is much less consistent. I have been treated extemely well when redeeming rewards, especially through the Diamond Desk.

At Hyatt, you receive an upgrade and free breakfast. You also receive an amenity when checking in. I would always take the bottle of wine and usually bring it home with me. The properties all seem to have their own character. What I liked most about Hyatt, and Hilton unfortunately can't compare here, is the recognition by all their staff. I would always get upgraded, I never had problems with breakfast, the Diamond reservation line would always have friendly and knowledgeable reps. I also found out the entire staff had a list of VIP guests, which included all Diamonds.

Don;t get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Hilton! If you can afford it and you're near a Hyatt though, its a very nice choice.
Old Aug 24, 2001, 11:41 am

Location: Coppell, Tx AA EXP, AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat
InHoc -

I was Hyatt Diamond last year and am Hilton Diamond this year. Here is my "qualitative comparison:

Hyatt has better quality amenities than Hilton - no doubt in my mind about that.

However - Hilton has the one advantage in an "amenity" that is most important to me (and you referred to it in your post) and that is Double Dipping for BOTH miles on the airline FF AND getting hotel points!! That is the key to me for putting 100% of my stays on Hilton properties.

If Hyatt woiuld "double Dip" I would go back to Hyatt as much as I could. It is nice that Hilton has so many more properties, especially in the suburbs, as compared to Hyatt though as that allows me more choice in hotel stays in smaller locations.

dAAvid -

ps - Another "reason" to stay at Hilton vs. Hyatt is that Hilton has a "dedicated" email address for FlyerTalk members to communicate with Hilton as well as having several "lurkers" who monitor this forum and help us out A LOT!! Hyatt won't even recognize that FT exists!

edited to add the "ps" -dAAvid -

[This message has been edited by AA SLF (edited 08-24-2001).]
Old Aug 25, 2001, 10:08 am

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
I've received Hyatt offers for status in the past. The first problem I would have is it would not be sustainable. I would have to go out of my way to book Hyatts because there are few in the out-of-the-way places I travel. Even if I qualified, it would be unlikely I would be able to continue the number of stays to keep the status after the introductory deal. The second problem is price. The few times I have been in locations with a Hyatt, the price differential between the Hyatt and the Hilton or Marriott was substantial.
Old Aug 25, 2001, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Outoftown.....that would describe you, me and most others reading FT.

It's been nice to sample their service as a diamond, and they've booked six nights from me in two months. No way can I sustain diamond and no way am I staying in this high priced chain without it.

To the original question. They are two quite different operations. My guess is that if you're a Hyatt type person, Hilton would not interest you much. And my idea of a Hyatt type person is one that stays inside the city limits with someone else paying the tab.

[This message has been edited by hedoman (edited 08-25-2001).]
Old Aug 25, 2001, 3:30 pm

I hold Diamond status in both, Hilton since 1997. Hyatt is much better about rewarding you, and I think runs a better brand overall.

What drives me bonkers about Hilton is the inconsistent treatment you get from property to property.

One property in particular that gives you the sleeves off their vest is the Marco Island Hilton: You don't get jack at that place with Diamond status. Not even a $.59 bottle of water. It pisses me off to think about it.

The bottom line is Hilton has to get control of their franchisees and start making these properties treat their best customers better.
Old Aug 25, 2001, 3:49 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
I just had the same offer sent to me as well.
I've been Hilton Diamond for 5 or 6 years and have the same same problems as the rest with regards to inconsistent treatment in the US. The reason I stay Diamond is that for the most part, the overseas locations treat me really nice and there are a lot of location options as well. It's also nice to have the other brand names (Doubletree, Hampton etc.) to choose from as well.
This past week, I had my first Hyatt Diamond stay in Tampa, FL. That 1 stay was better than just about any Hilton stay I have had in the US in the past couple years. I was greeted with a card to pick out my own amenity. I could choose my own type of drink (wine, beer, soft drinks or water) and my choice of snack (cookies, fruit etc.) the lounge was better than most Hiltons as well.
I will go ahead and qualify for the Hyatt Diamond this year but in the future will probably keep most of my stays within Hilton.
Old May 14, 2002, 10:06 am

H Gold vs Hyatt Gold or Platinum?

Which of these two programs is better and in what ways?
Old May 14, 2002, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Hyatt Gold Passport is the lowest starting level so a Hilton Gold is much better. Hilton Gold's are usually considered for upgrades even to Executive floors where Hyatt upgrades are usually reserved for Diamonds. Hyatt Platinum requires three stays for each upgrade or amenity.
Old May 14, 2002, 10:37 am

There seems to be a wide base of properties in the Hilton chain from which to earn points--Hampton Inns, Doubletree, etc.
Old May 14, 2002, 11:30 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I find that Hiltons are more likely to have an executive lounge where as it seems comparatively few Hyatts have regency club lounges. Hyatt's best thing going for it is the Diamond Amenity which beats the rest besides perhaps Wyndham which I have never had but it sounds good on paper.

Hilton Gold has free breakfast, where as Hyatt I don't think that is a documented benefit but I have gotten it from Hyatt on an undocumented basis often without asking as a Diamond.

Some people will tell you, for example, that HH does not give them breakfast, but if that happens you need to call the manager on duty and be persuasive and I guarantee you will get your breakfast. I have never failed to get a breakfast at Hilton when I wanted it, and again, it is usually volunteered via a coupon or an upgrade to the executive floor that has the continental breakfast spread.
Old May 14, 2002, 12:27 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Hilton Gold is quite nice!
Old May 14, 2002, 12:48 pm

Being diamond in both the Hilton and Hyatt programs (30 stays at Hyatt and 19 at Hilton so far in 2002) its my experience that the Hyatt Gold Passport is far superior to Hilton Honors. The amenities are much nicer at Hyatt and unlike Hilton hotels I've never had to "beg" for any of the promised benefits. Of the Hilton chain, DoubleTree is by far the best -- automatic upgrades and exquisite attention to detail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.