Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton facing criminal prosecution over Starwood dispute

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2010, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.

Just saw this on my news flasher - apparently the suit from Starwood about the execs Hilton poached is becoming a criminal matter:

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...pionage-case/1

I can't help but wonder if Blackstone is going to start looking for a way to dump Hilton between this issue and other events of the last year. If Hilton ends up in some sort of fire-sale I imagine we'll miss the current devaluation status compared to whatever comes.

It may be time to start thinking about burning points guys.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I think it's clear Hilton did not steal or copy any secrets about Starwood's points program, promos, or customer service.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:54 pm

Programs: LOL, ROFL & ...
Yes, burn your points please.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kevino
I think it's clear Hilton did not steal or copy any secrets about Starwood's points program, promos, or customer service.
Clear to whom? On what basis do you say that?
Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Clear to whom? On what basis do you say that?
You totally missed the humor and point of kevino's post........HH could not have stolen anything from SPG because the program stinks!!!! Devaluation, no decent promos, etc., etc.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 7:32 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The question begs - were these people key Starwood employees, or fifth column infiltrators?

Originally Posted by kevino
Old Feb 19, 2010, 8:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: confidential
This sounds a bit "wishy-washy" to me. Why would a government agency be involved in a case that is between businesses.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
just another in the long list of reasons why i'm burning all my points & saying goodbye to hilton....
Old Feb 20, 2010, 3:46 am

Programs: LH, KLM, BA
Originally Posted by saad
just another in the long list of reasons why i'm burning all my points & saying goodbye to hilton....
probably helps that there are no hiltons in India and the starwood program is really strong there. (just got back from del/MAA/BOM tour).

Having said that I have now burnt over 350,000 HH points and have that 1 free night cert plus about 16K points left. tis not so much the deval but the shoddy and tired hotels that hilton has. just don't see the point when I can stay in a starwood property
Old Feb 20, 2010, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by nswat
probably helps that there are no hiltons in India and the starwood program is really strong there. (just got back from del/MAA/BOM tour).

Having said that I have now burnt over 350,000 HH points and have that 1 free night cert plus about 16K points left. tis not so much the deval but the shoddy and tired hotels that hilton has. just don't see the point when I can stay in a starwood property
there are 2 hilton properties in delhi & one is supposed to open towards the end of this year in chennai....

but that doesn't help me one bit since i live in delhi & almost never travel to chennai....

i've burnt most of my hilton points already....have a one month long vacation planned in asia purely on hilton points & gifted my brother a 7 night honeymoon package at the conrad maldives using points....still have about 500k left which i will probably end up using by the end of this year....will probably make diamond again through award stays & a few more at the hilton singapore (where i will continue to stay, whether i end up sticking with hh or not)....
Old Feb 20, 2010, 7:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ONLY_no_One
This sounds a bit "wishy-washy" to me. Why would a government agency be involved in a case that is between businesses.
Why would the government be involved when my neighbor comes and kills my dog (this is a case between individuals)? If the government does not get involved, then I will take matters in my own hands and only warlords will then do well. The same applies to disputes between businesses. Play by the rules everyone!

Last edited by sjuhawk_jd; Feb 20, 2010 at 7:06 am Reason: spelling
Old Feb 20, 2010, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ONLY_no_One
Criminal charges would be against individuals.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Criminal charges would be against individuals.
Corporations can also be convicted of crimes. The penalties for a corporate defendant do not include terms of imprisonment obviously.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
double post.
Old Jun 7, 2010, 2:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Premier Plat (1.2 MM), Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, GE
LA Times Article on Former W Executive and Hilton

Interesting article on a former Starwood W exec who joined the Hilton team a few years ago to help launch a new Hilton boutique brand. Original plans were ultimately scuttled and the executive is no longer with Hilton.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...0,128631.story

I've stayed at theWit in Chicago and The Curtis in Denver. Both are Doubletree with a W-like twist. I like both of these properties. I hope that Hilton will continue to create new boutique-style properties like these.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.