Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

What To Do If Snow Cancels Nonrefundable Stay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What To Do If Snow Cancels Nonrefundable Stay

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation What To Do If Snow Cancels Nonrefundable Stay

So I have a weekend trip booked to DC staying at a Hilton Garden Inn and booked on that weekend deal that is strictly non-refundable. My stay starts Thursday.

All weather forecasts now indicate, and the National Weather Service agrees, that a major snowstorm will hit DC starting Friday mid-day with possible accumulations of 20 inches plus.

So sadly it looks like I need to postpone my trip as I would never be able to get around and never get home either.

Will Hilton issue a travel waiver as the airports will shut like the December storm? When would do they do that?

So, do I have any chance of rebooking yet? Should I wait until right up to departure when the storm comes barreling in?

Any help please. This is my first time dealing with this.

Thanks.

Brian
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:53 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You can try calling the hotel directly and explain to them that you can not make it will they allow you to switch to another date, but they will probably say no.

Non refundable fares are generally that, you don't get a refund as long as the hotel is open.

The question comes up quite a bit here, if you search just this forum for non refundable you should find a few posts about it.

But in general, no you will lose the money.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
You will need to plead your case with the Advanced Purchase Dept, not the hotel, at 1-800-445-8667. Let us know how it turns out- I don't think a weather related cancellation has been mentioned before.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:05 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, CO Platinum, Avis First, former UA1k
Why not go?

Thanks for the heads up - I've been in Houston all week oblivious to the fact a major snowstorm is heading our way to the Northeast.

I see you are from the NY area - what transportation were you planning on?

I've stayed at that Hilton Garden Inn in DC - it's very nice and has a fantastic breakfast. It's also walking distance to most of the major sights. I was in DC staying at that facility 3 weeks ago when they were anticipating 4 - 6 inches and it ended up being a light dusting in the early morning. If you could get there, I'd say consider still taking your trip because you would get some fantastic views/photos of the national sites covered in snow. I know DC is not as operational as NYC during a blizzard but probably more so within the city center than in the suburbs, and the quiet beauty that comes over a large metropolitian area during heavy snow is in itself a sight to see.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
One of the reasons I no longer book pre-paid or non-cancelable rooms.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:12 pm

Travel advisory"warning"

Just called Hilton advance purchase @ 1-800-236-7113. If, on day of travel, there is a National Weather Service "warning", Hilton considers this an "act of God" and they will refund your money. Hope this helps, especially for traveling @ this time of year. I have often not booked these rates, for fear that in all conditions, the rate really was non-refundable.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Good to hear some leniency.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 5:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Limited data points, but I've always been able to get out of non-refundable stays when I needed to ...
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
You can try calling the hotel directly and explain to them that you can not make it will they allow you to switch to another date, but they will probably say no.

Non refundable fares are generally that, you don't get a refund as long as the hotel is open.

The question comes up quite a bit here, if you search just this forum for non refundable you should find a few posts about it.

But in general, no you will lose the money.
Thanks so much to all for the helpful, quick responses. FlyerTalkers are great.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the storm blows over, but that looks highly unlikely, so I'll call tomorrow and report back.

Originally Posted by Notenut
You will need to plead your case with the Advanced Purchase Dept, not the hotel, at 1-800-445-8667. Let us know how it turns out- I don't think a weather related cancellation has been mentioned before.
Thanks, I thought I had to call them, rather then the hotel

Originally Posted by rbrackenfl
I see you are from the NY area - what transportation were you planning on?

I've stayed at that Hilton Garden Inn in DC
I have AA Eagle flights booked, working to see if they follow UA's lead and issue waivers. I've been in touch with them via twitter and they are 'waiting to see ground conditions'
The HGI I was looking at is actually in Arlington. I lived in DC for 4 years, so been there for the snow, its a pain.

Originally Posted by vindesante
Just called Hilton advance purchase @ 1-800-236-7113. If, on day of travel, there is a National Weather Service "warning", Hilton considers this an "act of God" and they will refund your money. Hope this helps, especially for traveling @ this time of year. I have often not booked these rates, for fear that in all conditions, the rate really was non-refundable.
thanks so much for calling in advance, will hope the warning is issued soon then

Again thanks so much all, FlyerTalker's are great!

For our DC friends, enjoy the snow.

Brian
Old Feb 3, 2010, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Notenut
I've had good luck canceling reservations when flights have been canceled and I haven't been able to use the room.

It's always worth asking.

With 20 inches coming, nothing will be moving in DC for days.

Bob H
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:29 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Well we've got a winter storm warning here in Asheville, now, and it's heading your way.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:36 am
Original Poster

To UPDATE:

Called Hilton advance purcahse desk this morning and after a little bit on hold, explained what was going on.

The Hilton rep was very nice but hesitant given they had no policy in place yet. I explained to her what was going on and told her about the e-mail Arlington County (site of the hotel) sent urging people to prepare to shelter in place for 3-5 days.

She kept putting me on hold for 10mins at a time and finally realized this was getting insane. She, without me prompting, offered to call me back when she had an answer. I also e-mailed her -as proof- the county e-mail.

She called me back and said refund taken care of.

All in all a great experience, thanks Hilton for understanding. I wish AA would follow suit. see my post in that forum.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, CO, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, ex-TSA Elite rectal exam club member
Good for you! Was the proper thing for Hilton to do. Frontier is posting "Weather advisory posted for DCA, EWR, LGA, PHL &PIT. Details & check flight staus here" and United "If you can change plans, visit united.com and get ahead of the weekend storm;" Good luck with AA.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: UA, AA, HH, MR
Originally Posted by PlateMan
She kept putting me on hold for 10mins at a time and finally realized this was getting insane. She, without me prompting, offered to call me back when she had an answer. I also e-mailed her -as proof- the county e-mail.

She called me back and said refund taken care of.

All in all a great experience, thanks Hilton for understanding. I wish AA would follow suit. see my post in that forum.

^^ to HH for the refund. That being said, it should be a no-brainer to either refund or allow for the reservation to be honored within the next 365 days when an Act of God occurs.

Y'all have fun this weekend up that way...I'll be in Tampa, unfortunately only getting points 1 night.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by BobH

With 20 inches coming, nothing will be moving in DC for days.

Bob H
Nothing moving in DC? Not exactly a new thing for that city.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.