Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

(UK) Location service charge on a prepaid rental

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat

So I had a rental at Forth Banks, Newcastle (downtown, very un-premium location) a couple of weeks ago. As usual, I reserved on Hertz.com and chose the prepaid option.

Lo and behold, a week or so later, I get an invoice from Hertz and my credit card has been charged an additional £7 as a 'location service charge'.

I quizzed the counter staff when I was in today, and apparently it's just started appearing on some, not all, prepaid rentals. They didn't seem particularly concerned about it, nor particularly interested in refunding me.

OK, it's only £7. But a prepaid rental should be a prepaid rental right? Is this some sneaky recession-busting tactic?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 12:17 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
You might find this post interesting;

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hertz...ime-msnbc.html

The MNBC link has some interesting points, one of which is 'making a renter pay for something they've already paid for

If you had a prepaid rental and then they charged you more after the pre-pay part then I would complain, or, even simplier, just dispute it on your credit card - it clearly is not correct.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Well I called customer services. The £7 was begrudgingly refunded. I quote: "It doesn't seem worth it for such a small amount".

But it doesn't fill me with confidence that the same thing won't happen again in the future. Perhaps for a lot more than £7. The lady on the phone didn't seem to understand my point that a guaranteed rate should be ... erm ... guaranteed.

I've rented from the same location, on the same rate, with the same CDP many times before. And since. No charges until this time, but who knows what will appear on my credit card statement in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.