Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Gold Plus Points Devaluation

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Originally Posted by edotzaue
I guess the car rental folks were feeling left out of the party with all the devaluations going on in the miles and points world. At least they gave us a little notice before pushing the button...

To continue providing exceptional service to our members, we occasionally make changes to the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® points program. We are pleased to announce that based on member feedback, coming soon we will be enhancing reward redemption options with new locations and expanded choices.

We also constantly strive to maintain industry-leading reward levels and availability. However, in light of rising costs, we find it necessary to implement our first reward redemption point increase since 2008. Beginning October 1, 2013, point redemption levels for Rewards will increase a modest 10–15% in the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico and U.S.V.I. This will allow us to continue providing both the quality and quantity of reward options our members have come to value and appreciate.

We thank you for your participation in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards and look forward to serving you at a Hertz location soon.
Just a quick reminder to anyone who wants to book an award at the current rates before the devaluation. There is only about a week left to do so at the current award redemption rates.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by turbov6
Just a quick reminder to anyone who wants to book an award at the current rates before the devaluation. There is only about a week left to do so at the current award redemption rates.
Thanks for the reminder I'd completely forgotten about this. Time to start making plans!

-J.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 2:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Dang I have no plans at the moment...please have a delay implementing HZ
Old Sep 29, 2013, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Question

I want an Adrenaline rental in a month from now for two weekend days... do you guys think it would be more worthwhile to book a PCAR award (1k points) and upgrade (hopefully for less/free), or should I just book my normal ICAR (paid... ~$45 all-in) and upgrade from that? Just not in the mood to blow 3,000 points when I can wait to do that in New York...

-J.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 6:14 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
Hard to call......... I've seen Adrenaline cars offered for upgrade rates as low as $40 a day, which on top of the ICAR reservation cost of say another $45 makes them a veriable bargain. But this is presumably when they have copious supply and not that many bookings. And that won't always be the case. Weekends may not be as lucky as weekdays?

Mind you, I've been in and out of PHX every day the past few, and there have always been several of the Penske Mustangs there, and I swear that 2 of them have not move all the time I have been here.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 12:21 pm

The devaluation just went live. The Adrenaline collection got hit pretty hard. Old rate for a 4-day weekend was 3000 points. It's now 6600 points.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:03 pm
Community Director Emerita

The devaluation just went live. The Adrenaline collection got hit pretty hard. Old rate for a 4-day weekend was 3000 points. It's now 6600 points.
Yikes! On a simpler level, I did a 3 day redemption yesterday for 1900 points. Today it is 2025 points.

A one way car rental was 1200 points. I use it to drive to LAX when our flight begins there and car rental rates are high. Today, it is 1325 points.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Oct 1, 2013 at 2:04 pm Reason: Updated to show proper points for one way rentsl
Old Oct 1, 2013, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Holy ...., so much for a "modest 10-15%"

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Yikes! On a simpler level, I did a 3 day redemption yesterday for 1900 points. Today it is 2025 points.

I'm pretty sure that a one way car rental was 1000 points. I use it to drive to LAX when our flight begins there and car rental rates are high. Today, it is 1325 points. That's a bite.
That's a 32.5% increase. I had a feeling this was gonna happen, but it's not what I signed up for when I stuck with Hertz. Unfortunately, it's still the best awards program in the industry

-J.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Plat
FYI this is the old rewards chart (via Pointsguy).

http://thepointsguy.com/wp-content/u...7.02.55-PM.png

Are you sure the 4-day adrenaline rental was that low?
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:03 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by whatmakes
FYI this is the old rewards chart (via Pointsguy).

http://thepointsguy.com/wp-content/u...7.02.55-PM.png
Thanks. That shows my memory of the one way rental at 1000 points was wrong. It was actually 1200 points. I'll go upstream and edit my post.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold 0.66MM, MR LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Hertz PC
that's just absurd. although it was basically impossible to use points for Adrenaline Collection anyway due to the "you do not have enough points to redeem a gold plus rewards" bug.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by whatmakes
Are you sure the 4-day adrenaline rental was that low?
Yes. I have booked on the old rate of 3K for a 4-day weekend before. The full listing of all of the old award rates for different categories is available here on LoyaltyLobby:

http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/07/03/h...north-america/

Originally Posted by thewayofthefuture
that's just absurd. although it was basically impossible to use points for Adrenaline Collection anyway due to the "you do not have enough points to redeem a gold plus rewards" bug.
I agree it was difficult to book Adrenaline awards in the past online, however you could always call in and book them over the phone any time.

It was a bit complicated to get it to work online but it was possible. You had to look up the Promotional Coupon (PC) code for the award you wanted and enter it into the PC field manually on the reservation screen. Then you also had to select "Green traveler collection" from the drop down for the Vehicle Type (even though you wanted to book Adrenaline - they both required the same number of points before). This would then allow you to book it without saying you didn't have enough points.

I noticed there is now an Adrenaline and Prestige collection in the vehicle type drop down box on the reservation page so presumably you can select what you want to book for the award and it maybe will work now.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA,UA SLV, SPG GLD,Hyatt GP Plat.,National Exec., Hertz Platinum
Hertz Gold Plus Points Devaluation

Hertz devaluation just went live and WHAT IN THE WORLD.

4,500 points for a one week adrenaline collection is now 8,250?!

Are you kidding me.

To add insult to injury, Hertz wouldn't even let me book an adrenaline car yesterday or the day before at the old 4,500 level due to "technical issues".

What a horrible devaluation. I had close to 40K points which are now way way less worth it.

What a shame.
*don't even get me started on prestige increase!

What are your thoughts?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
My usual rental, 1 free week, went from 2500 to 2750. Not terrible, and not unexpected. I have a couple of weeks sitting there waiting to be used, and I haven't been able to. I'm not too broken up about it though. Many of the points came from e-rewards.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 6:58 am

Thanks. That shows my memory of the one way rental at 1000 points was wrong. It was actually 1200 points. I'll go upstream and edit my post.

It had been 1,200 points for a weekday one-way, but 1,000 points for a weekend day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.