Wiki Posts
Search

'12 Dodge Journey AWD Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Exec, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, AAdvantage Gold
'12 Dodge Journey AWD Ride Report

I've been meaning to write up this review for a few weeks now, ever since I drove the 2WD Journey (and later received the AWD Journey reviewed below). The two trims are nearly identical in the Hertz fleet except for the drivetrain.

I reserve ICARs, occasionally FCARs, and have not actually driven an ICAR in the past year (except once by choice: VW Jetta) and get upgraded into some sort of SUV approximately half the time, on average. Today it was an AWD Journey SXT.

The SXT is the mid-trim available for the 2012 Journeys, coming with a 3.6L V6 under the hood, and the Hertz models have those tethered to a 6-speed autostick transmission (which wasn't as responsive as I would have liked).

The steering wheel has just about every function possible crammed on there one way or another. Like most mid-trim Dodges, it has all the audio controls on the backside of the steering wheel, info/uconnect controls on the left side and cruise controls on the right side. The media system is controlled by an all-encompassing touchscreen, and includes both standard aux inputs, as well as usb inputs hiding inside the armrest.

The Hertz '12 Journeys are also KeylessGo vehicles, which is always nice when you've got a lot of stuff with you. The keyfob stayed firmly in my pockets the entire rental period.

Rear Interior (left) / Front Interior (right):

Hertz offers the Journey in only the five-seat configuration (shown above, front and back), which isn't ideal for large groups, but is perfectly spacious enough (I would put it on par with the Chevy Equinox).

The seats were cloth, and weren't the nicest things in the world, but they were serviceable and functional, which is about all I would ask for out of this car.

As for the trunk, well... it's got glass in the back, which I dislike for privacy reasons. The privacy screen was removed as well

Clearly, there's some room in the back. If you folded down the 2nd row seats as well, you would have plenty of room for two or three people's ski gear (and then some). Dodge is fond of mentioning its in-floor storage bins, but I hadn't quite gotten to exploring those. When I inevitably get this car again, I'll update this review to include those.

I'll be blunt, the car reminds me of a minivan, even if it does have the somewhat mean-looking Dodge grille.

The car does well at highway speeds (aka once you've got its weight going), and has a reliable cruise control setting. The only quibble I had with it was that the touch screen didn't like my fingers... just the tiniest bit of an issue when all the controls are through the touch screen.

Car Description: SIR JOURNEYAWDS (2012 AWD Dodge Journey SXT with SiriusXM Radio)
Class: L
Miles on the clock: 13,424 miles

PROS:
Comfortable seats, plenty of room all around
AWD would be very effective in the winter
Touch-Screen Media system, UConnect
Lots of storage space

CONS:
Mediocre gas mileage (16/24, I averaged a hair over 18 though personally)
Only 5 seats available - could be a problem with a large group
Doesn't have a "real" trunk.
Touch screen can be a little finicky

Final Score: This car could be decent to take for a ski trip, or simply the Upper Midwest in general in the dead of winter (Michigan Upper Peninsula, I'm looking at you.) Otherwise, for the mileage I would probably attempt to grab at least the 2WD version of this car.

Last edited by roymustang; Dec 6, 2012 at 3:21 pm Reason: mpg error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.