Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '12 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Ride Report - '12 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT

For the first time since August I'm back in an American car; I had my first Malibu almost a year ago, and although it was very new (only a couple of thousand miles on it), it was an LS trim and I swore I'd never take one again. This time I was offered a much more nicely equipped one, although with much higher mileage, but I decided to see if it could redeem itself. I was especially interested because my personal car is a 2004 Malibu MAXX LS (although she's back in New York), and I was curious to see how much has changed over the years (so keep in mind this report may be a bit on the long side ).

http://www.chevrolet.com/2012-malibu...ize-sedan.html

Car Description: 12 SIR MALIBU 2.4S (2012 Chevrolet Malibu 2LT w/ SiriusXM sat. radio)
Class: F

The 2LT trim is the highest trim level available with the Ecotec engine; it's the middle level of the middle trim (it's sort of complicated) -- overall, the fourth of 6 trims. With only a few optional features (many come standard), this car had a MSRP of $27,465 when new. I drove it off the lot with 31,083 miles on the odometer, and took it just under 422 miles in the course of a day!

Powertrain: This Malibu came with the 2.4L inline 4-cylinder ECOTEC engine. Producing 169 horsepower and 160 lb-ft of torque, the Malibu reminds me of the Ford Escape (and Fusion, for that matter) I rented earlier this year -- frighteningly underpowered. FWIW, my '04 'Bu has a High Value LX9 V6 engine that produces 200 horsepower -- 41 more than this 2LT -- and it's smaller! The 2012 Malibu can go from 0 to 60 mph in approximately 8.8 seconds, although it does feel longer. FWIW, trims 3LT and higher come with the Cadillac-designed LY7 V6. One positive change in the last 8 years, however, is that the Malibu now has two more gears than it used to, with its 6-speed automatic transmission with overdrive and "TAPshift" manual mode (which is the same style as the low gear range selector on my Bu). Still, if you are cruising on the highway in 6th gear, it's impossible to not downshift if heading even slightly uphill -- it's extremely tough to maintain speed on anything other than flat ground, even if the pedal is down to the floor. The EPA rates the Malibu 2.4L at 22 mpg city and 33 mpg highway; doing mostly highway driving, I averaged around 28.

One thing I do want to note, and deserves to be noted, is that the Malibu has by far the most responsive manual mode of any of the full-size cars I've driven (which at this point is most of them). It didn't downshift unless you let the revs get seriously low (around 1600 maybe), and responded immediately and accurately to any upshift or downshift you commanded using the rocker switch on the gear shift handle.

Ride/Handling: Even if it didn't "go", I was quite pleased with the handling. Its stiff suspension prevented much body lean during turns, but still absorbed bumps in the road very nicely. Brakes were strong and effective, and downshifting certainly enhanced the effect. The electric power steering was not too light at all and provided good road feel.

Interior: What's under the hood and under the roof of the Malibu are two completely different ballgames. The interior is really nicely equipped in this 2LT; the Titanium "UltraLux" interior -- which combines supple yet supportive leather with faux-suede cloth -- suits it very nicely. I found this interesting, and even more surprisingly I quite liked it. Leather adorns the steering wheel, center console, and gear shift handle. Door sills plates remind you that you're actually in a Chevrolet. The seats themselves were quite comfortable and well-bolstered; the driver's seat had 6-way power adjustment and manual recline, with power-adjustable lumbar support. The passenger seat was completely manually adjustable. Did I mention both front seats have two heat settings? ^

The dashboard was not covered in leather or anything that attempted to imitate leather -- it felt more like a soft, almost-squishy plastic, and did not feel cheap at all. I really liked how all the radio and HVAC controls were laid out. The interior brightness knob is straight out of the parts bin from 2004, and the strip it's located on once upon a time included a knob to adjust the gas/brake pedal position. The steering wheel is tilt and telescopic adjustable, and has cruise control and Bluetooth controls on the face of it; it also had thumb grips at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions, making it very comfortable to hold. The gauge cluster is smartly organized into three circles, a layout which dates back to 2004 but is now more accented; the blue-green glow looks wicked cool too. A small screen relayed the outside temperature as well as odometer reading, trip A/B mileage, average MPG, instant MPG, average speed, and tire pressures for all four wheels (broken up into two screens). The rear-view mirror, which dimmed automatically for evening driving and had OnStar and other related buttons, had a compass inset which I found very useful.

It gets better. There are two DC power outlets, a USB port and aux-in jack, and a 3-prong 110V AC power outlet! The speakers sound great, and the SiriusXM satellite radio was a treat to have, allowing me to listen to one of my favorite radio stations from home

Interior storage was not an issue; there's plenty of it inside the Malibu, including nets behind both front seats. The trunk is not that large, however, and the opening is on the smaller side. I'm sure if the seats were folded down then there would be more than enough room. Road noise is a bit of an issue; however, this may have been highlighted due to the the 2.4L ECOTEC being super-quiet, even when revving high. One thing that wasn't an issue was the chimes when you start the vehicle -- they're much less harsh than the beeps that are common of Japanese imports.

Exterior/Design: This was my second least favorite part about the Malibu, after the engine. This generation of Malibu I thought just looks weird, from the oversized stripe across the grille to the overall bulbous look of the body. I think the rear lamps look funny, but I still like them (fun fact: the outer ones, if you open the trunk, are almost identical in shape to the previous generation Malibu!).

I do like how the C-pillars sort of swoosh back -- they reminds me a bit of a Cadillac; however, they ultimately just increase blind spots. This car was painted in Silver Ice Metallic, which I think works fine with the 18-inch "Chrome-Tech" polished aluminum wheels and chrome exhaust tip.

Features: You won't be disappointed with this 2LT trim as it comes with a ton of standard equipment: keyless remote entry with remote start; Bluetooth wireless connectivity with wheel-mounted controls; automatically-dimming day/night mirror with digital compass and OnStar; automatic exterior lights; illuminated vanity mirrors on both sun visors; two DC power outlets; one 110V 3-prong AC power outlet in the back (!!!); leather/faux-suede "UltraLux" seat trim; leather-wrapped shift knob, dual-storage center console, and steering wheel (which is also tilt-and-telescopic adjustable); AM/FM/satellite radio/CD player with USB and auxiliary jacks; chrome exhaust tip; 17-inch "Chrome-Tech" aluminum wheels; and 6-way power-adjustable driver's seat (manual recline though) with power-adjustable lumbar support. Optional accessories included with this particular vehicle were the heated seat kit ($405) and a front license plate bracket ($15). This car also had an active SiriusXM satellite radio subscription which was nice.

Value: Using the USAA CDP, the FRDM "Weekender Special" rate quote, and PC# 135892 ($10/day off), this car cost me $7.73! It was actually $59.87 since I took advantage of the Fuel Purchase Option. I had reserved a Compact car (B/CCAR, Chevy Aveo or Similar), but I think that loyalty is a two-way street: I take care of my HLE (I brought them bagels, on my meal plan!), and they take care of me

Summary
  • ECOTEC 2.4L inline 4-cylinder engine (169 hp, 160 lb-ft of torque)
  • 6-speed automatic transmission w/ overdrive and "TAPshift" manual mode
  • 22/33 mpg, 16 gallon tank
  • Second LT trim level, highest available for I-4 engine

PROS:
  • Comfortable seats, soft materials
  • Very quiet engine, super-responsive manual mode, great handling
  • 3-prong AC outlet
  • Tons of other features and amenities

CONS:
  • Can't climb hills (on highways) without downshifting
  • Not quite a FCAR
  • "Interesting" exterior design

After receiving a series of Japanese-designed vehicles, and as someone who generally prefers American cars, I must say I was very impressed with most of the imports. However, it was nice to be back in a Chevrolet, and I was delighted with the steps they took to keep this car competitive. It's no surprise that the Malibu is often pointed at as one of the biggest forces that got GM back on their feet (besides the bailout ). The 2013 model year will bring about a smaller Malibu that, while [hopefully] no longer an FCAR, will be fierce competition against other vehicles in its class.

Also, I want to mention that in my Crown Vic ride report, I noted that I'd rather have one of those than a Malibu LS. I still stand by that claim -- but I would definitely take this 2LT over a Panther.

Final Verdict: Although in dire need of more power, the Malibu 2LT handles really nicely and has lots of amenities to keep you happy. Perhaps it's not a true FCAR, but if you don't need a ton of space, you won't regret picking it. Refuse the LS trim, it's not worth the anguish -- but the 2LT certainly provides a comfortable ride.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Nov 27, 2012 at 11:44 pm
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Just wanted to note a few things:

1) Here's a picture of my 2004 Malibu MAXX for comparison! This photo was taken the day I got it -- a year ago from today!!! I drove straight to school from the dealership.

2) Most of the photos in this report were taken at Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area in eastern Utah and southern Wyoming. I'm truly blessed to have such beautiful scenery within driving distance of where I am located.

3) I wanted to mention just how much my HLE takes care of me: when I returned this on a Saturday, they only had a 2-man skeleton crew -- but they still gave me a lift back to my dorm. I've read so many horror stories about HLEs providing bad service, but I'm lucky enough to have developed a relationship with the staff at mine, and I know I can count on them to do me good

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Oct 10, 2012 at 2:41 am
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:46 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
I have to say, your enthusiasm for those cars in the fleet many of us try to avoid continues to amaze me! Nice review!

Personally I'll only take a Malibu if it's in LT or LTZ trim with the V6. The 4-cylinder is thoroughly underwhelming. The trick is to look for the dual exhausts in the back.

Come join us over at National and you'll find the 2013 Malibus already in the fleet!

I have to ask, are you a budding auto journalist?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by dwbf11
I have to say, your enthusiasm for those cars in the fleet many of us try to avoid continues to amaze me! Nice review!

Personally I'll only take a Malibu if it's in LT or LTZ trim with the V6. The 4-cylinder is thoroughly underwhelming. The trick is to look for the dual exhausts in the back.

Come join us over at National and you'll find the 2013 Malibus already in the fleet!

I avoid malibus and impalas in any trim levels but there was a new 2013 one at an EA aisle last week and it looked like a huge improvement but not enough to make want to drive one.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by dwbf11

I guess we all have different tastes I would definitely take this over a Mazda6 and if offered this against a baseline Fusion I wouldn't know which one to take. This is a really great long highway cruiser though, with the decent seats and the power outlet in the rear.

I really want to rent from National! BUT -- I've yet to figure out how get around the age waiver, and supposedly SLC is one of the worst stations in their system (not to mention I'd have to go all the way to the airport).

Am I a budding auto journalist? It's always been a thought. I do hope to be an airport or fleet manager someday though.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.