Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Birmingham City/HLE UK - unwanted downgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Hey,
I rented a car from hertz uk, Birmingham central, for 17 days. Today is the 2nd day of the rental period so advice is highly appreciated.

Story so far. I rented a Ford Mondeo or similar,(large family group) manual from rentalcars.com and repaid the charges and was directed to hertz. When I went to get my rental vehicle, the staff was really unfriendly, as if they have had a bad day, and I was told that the car I had booked was not available. I was given a ford fiesta (small compact group), and was told to come back the next day to get it exchanged for something that I had booked.

The next day I go in, and the same moody lady, says all they have for me ia a VW touran, which is the same group as I requested. I said I can not nor have ever driven a mini van, and she said she can not help me and I don't have an option. The next car available was the Mitsubishi ASX and she said I would have to pay 400pounds extra if I wanted that. Needless to say i could not afford it, she also offered me a ford focus, which was smaller category then the one I booked, but it been lesser of the two evils, I took the focus. I even offered to come back the next day, to get it changed and as expected I was told I can not change the car again and again, even though it's me who has to drive 45 minutes from my hotel to the car rental place and waste time and fuel.

I also checked, and i think that a mini van and ford mondeo or similar is not the same category, so basically the rep lied to me. The problem is that I do not wish to fight or argue with branch staff as they have your card details, and on return they could charge whatevr they want to etc, and I would like to inquire since I still have 15 days left on my rental. What shall I do?

Last edited by Rut Dog; Sep 25, 2012 at 11:54 pm Reason: Mis spellings; title edited by moderator for clarity
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hertz Pres, Avis Pres, Marriott Platinum
Get in writing from the Hertz location that they do not have your booked car class available then dispute the additional charges.

Also in the future never book with third-party companies - always book direct with hertz or avis or whomever.. Your contract is with the third part company - the other option is to call them and have them get you a car from a different provider.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Originally Posted by adil
What shall I do?
Drive to the airport.
http://goo.gl/maps/bpqGn

Everything I'm about to say should be qualified that 100% of my knowledge is based on Hertz USA. UK could be different, but your story sounds very very familiar.

I think all your instincts are correct, starting with her mood. Hertz treats their HLEs like crap (Hertz Local Editions as they are called stateside -- city offices). They rarely give them the cars they need. She may have given up because no matter how hard she tries, she is never given the support to take care of her customers. Sad, and I've seen it before. Nothing you can do.

Airport is open Mo-Su 0630-2400. They'll get you the right car, and maybe even a good upgrade and a courtesy credit. They should compensate you for your time and fuel. Don't fill it up, and tell them. I do this all the time on problems, and I've never paid for gas.

When you arrive at the airport don't check in the car at rental return. Tell them you have a problem with the car and you need to speak with an agent (or manager, your call). They will direct you to park elsewhere, or to just leave the car there. Note your mileage (kilometerage? ;-) before you walk in.

And you'll probably get more help if you are really nice and understanding at the airport -- while at the same time emphasizing the trouble you had.

Good luck, and post again how it works out!
Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:30 am
Used to be ' simz '

Programs: Does it matter..??? It doesn't matter to them
Originally Posted by Rut Dog
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Drive to the airport.
http://goo.gl/maps/bpqGn

Everything I'm about to say should be qualified that 100% of my knowledge is based on Hertz USA. UK could be different, but your story sounds very very familiar............................
+ 1. The hertz UK staff at the HLE's are really cranky.. For 1 year, I had the most annoying lady to deal with in the UK HLE (yes- you crazy lady at Hertz Croydon, I am talking about you). They can be really weird when it comes to cars and upgrades and downgrades.. Thankfully the Hertz US HLE staff are really good (Yes- I am talking about u guys at Hertz Jersey City Harborside office- Tajj, Frank and the other two guys I don't know the name..)

I would have suggested the same thing.. drive into the Hertz LGW or LHR and tell them what has happened, and how you need an appropriate car.. be calm and they will take care of your issues (hopefully)..
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Hey,, so basically I wrote hertz uk customer services some emails, but to no effect and finally last weekend I went into hertz Birmingham international airport. Spoke to the manager, She was really nice and sweet, understood my issue and even said tht she had an idea which annoying lady at the city centre office I was talking about. She not only replaced my car with a mini suv, as an upgrade, gave me a 35usd voucher for hertz and did not charge me for the fuel that I had used up on my previous car! She actually made me change my mind abt hertz, and I think I would rent from the airport office again. Thank you so much guys for the advice. It really worked, and would have been stuck with a compact car if it wasn't for you. Much appreciated!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.