Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Camaro Convertible V6

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
2012 Camaro Convertible V6

I had a meeting across town and a plane flight in a short period, so I rented a "Mitsubishi Eclipse or similar" one-way from the Coral Gables, Miami HLE to the Miami airport. I was picked up in a little Nissan Versa, which had me worried, but on arrival, there was a huge red Camaro Convertible waiting for me out front of the office.

The Camaro is an enormous car. It's almost two tons, as long as my neighbor's hulking Lexus SUV, and one of the widest cars I've ever driven; quite a change from my old Mitsubishi Mirage, which was just over one ton.

Most of my complaints with the car come down to the size and mass of the thing; the steering is softer than I'm used to, it's not in the same league as the Corvette in terms of power, but it also doesn't feel like it would compete with the 2011 Mustang Coupe V6. It is much nicer than the 2011 Chrysler 200.

The interior is pretty nice; lots of lit accents, completely superfluous gauges in the bottom of the center console (that I basically didn't notice unless parked), and a great Head-Up Display that shows speed, a tachometer, the current gear, and, when it needs to, navigation and radio information.

I have no idea what it's like to drive with the top up, since Miami's had great weather this week. The top is way uglier when stowed than the Corvette's, with lots of exposed gaps and no hard cover over it.

While I have no idea about the back seat, the trunk was big enough for carry-on bags when the top was down. Both examples I drove had the partition to allow the top to come down in place already; you can move it for more space at the expense of preventing the top from coming down. I don't know how much more space.

The first Camaro I had had an airbag warning that kept coming up, so I exchanged it for a different one at Hertz MIA; this one was fine.

If you want a convertible that ostensibly seats four, this is probably better than the Eclipse, I'd guess it's equivalent to the Mustang, more fun to drive than the 200, but not as fun as the Corvette.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 7:31 am

That HUD is nifty, great picture!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:02 am

Of all the rental convertibles that are standard issue, I think the Camaro is my favorite, it just turns heads between the gigantic wheels to the hard lines. Don't get me wrong, the Mustang is nice, but it just doesn't turn heads the same way.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage, Aerolineas Plus, Hertz, Hyatt, Marriott , SPG.
Originally Posted by BonzoESC

The Camaro is an enormous car. It's almost two tons, as long as my neighbor's hulking Lexus SUV, and one of the widest cars I've ever driven;

May I ask? Do you think it is much bigger than a Mustang? I'm more used to Mustangs and your comment here regarding the enormous Camaro called my attention
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by starlanet
May I ask? Do you think it is much bigger than a Mustang? I'm more used to Mustangs and your comment here regarding the enormous Camaro called my attention
It feels much heavier and wider than the Mustang, IMO.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I was given one of these at MIA.
Nice car. I liked the tapshift thing on the steering wheel, serious acceleration, the back-up camera. Things that suck: very poor visibility, especially with the top up and windows that are very low and short at the back means that your passengers in the back will curse at you whenever you drive over 40 mph (not that you will hear it over the wind noise though).
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by Arthur Randolph
I was given one of these at MIA.
Nice car. I liked the tapshift thing on the steering wheel, serious acceleration, the back-up camera. Things that suck: very poor visibility, especially with the top up and windows that are very low and short at the back means that your passengers in the back will curse at you whenever you drive over 40 mph (not that you will hear it over the wind noise though).
^

How did you manage to fit any passengers in the back?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
^

How did you manage to fit any passengers in the back?
Sideways. It's like overhead luggage you know, only a question of orientation.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 1:55 am

Programs: ANA Miledge club, JAL Miledge bank, Hertz #1 Gold
I drove it in Hawaii.. Brilliant car. Interior was very nice, but for some reason I couldn't stream mp3's from my phone over bluetooth.

v8 engine was very responsive and sounded nice, but i will try to get an SS next time. Apparently they have a bunch of them in hawaii..
Old Feb 6, 2012, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by aces_high
I drove it in Hawaii.. Brilliant car. Interior was very nice, but for some reason I couldn't stream mp3's from my phone over bluetooth.

v8 engine was very responsive and sounded nice, but i will try to get an SS next time. Apparently they have a bunch of them in hawaii..
I don't think any GM vehicles can stream bluetooth as they lack AD2P connection, of all the Escalades I have driven, none could stream bluetooth music.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
On another note, has anyone seen these recently? Haven't heard about anyone seeing them in the last few months. Hope Hertz still has non-SS Camaros in stock that are more affordable

-J.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Jun 11, 2013 at 2:24 am
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, WOH Globalist, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
the V8 engine is the SS version of the camaro right? because the standard is V6.

I was also wondering if they still have the non-SS in stock preferably the convertible version.

Last edited by Rut Dog; Jun 11, 2013 at 2:25 am
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:35 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
Last time I was in the US, a couple of months ago, there seemed to decent quantities of V6 Camaro, both Coupe and Convertible at both LAX and PHX. Indeed, they had more of these than they did Mustang.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.