Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Check your receipts! Refilled gas, yet charged for fuel!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check your receipts! Refilled gas, yet charged for fuel!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:43 am

I'm sure most people on short distance rentals try to cheat.

Avis has a policy which I think is fair and works to my advantage at times. If you drive less than 75 miles, they will automatically add around $10 (i can't remember the exact figure) flat fee unless you produce a gas receipt.

I rented an SUV around NYC and drove for about 60 miles, it would have cost me a lot more than $10 to fill it up since it burned almost a 1/4 tank in traffic.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by rbAA
Something along the same lines happened at MKE today. I returned the car full and the printout showed almost $100 for the refueling. I thought she said it appeared that I had selected the return empty fuel option, but it is hard to see how that would have been $100 on a Pontiac G6. So, corrected on the spot.
The conspiracy theorist in me finds this a little odd. I was charged for fuel at MKE too Monday, even though I filled up at the station a few blocks away and the tank was actually showing over full.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:56 am

Programs: WN,DL,BA
i would always show a gas receipt at the counter regardless how many miles i drove
Old Jun 5, 2008, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 1 MM/DM; HH Lifetime Diamond; Hertz Presidents Circle
You must have a lot of time on your hands to return at the counter.

I *rarely* return via the counter-usually via the Express Return outside whenever possible. But when I was in DEN, the Express agents were gone for the night, and I had to go to the counter. It was at the counter where my problem occurred.

Originally Posted by Hertz4me
i would always show a gas receipt at the counter regardless how many miles i drove
Old Jun 5, 2008, 8:01 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
I rent for alot weekly/weekend car trips. I either rent from my closest HLE or LGB depending on needs/rates. I gas up at one of 2 stations where we buy gas. The stations are 2 miles from my HLE and 3 miles to my local airport (LGB). The station by the airport is about 20 cents/gal more than my local ones.

I get a receipt in case I ever need it. Never needed it yet. They know that I top off the tank just before I turn in the car. (unless I been using the free gas coupon, just return it close to empty. )

I get decent service at both locations.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did an express drop off at FSD - a franchised location. I just got charged $9.98 - drove 25 miles, but I returned it full & the return receipt even shows that it was returned 8/8.

I called the station manager & he apologized & said he'd research it for me.

Hopefully they'll credit the difference back as it's a totally bogus charge...
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I've had this pretty much any time I've not handed the keys to a person. So if I do that I always check the receipt online as soon as it comes up to verify I need to call them.

I've never been asked for a receipt by Hertz.

Steve
Old Jun 8, 2008, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As a follow-up, they are posting a credit for the fuel charge.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
Another dirty trick by Hertz... They do this all the time. I recently escalated this issue to a VP, he won't admit they do this purpose but I don't believe him. I did manage to ask one of the employees out for a drink on a subsequent trip. She told me they are under enormous amount of pressure to upsell features and generate additional revenue above and beyond the basic daily rate. Management is well aware of this issue but they look the other way and pretend this is not supported or occuring. The handheld computer is programmed that you actually have the accept a few prompts before it will calculate and bill for gas, so needless to say, this is not "a honest mistake". This also explain why if you catch them, they will reverse the fuel charge without making much fuss! Hertz needs a class action lawsuit like its competitors before they will stop this practice. Funny I never had a frequent "honest mistake" by Hertz where they discounted my rental rate...

Last edited by wlau; Jun 13, 2008 at 1:09 pm
Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
I had a problem with this a few years ago at SAN. After 2 separate times that I discovered it on my bill after returning the car to the agent outside (and being forced to go inside and stand in line to fix it), I outright stopped renting at Hertz in SAN. Once could be a mistake. Twice in a row is intentional.

That said, I had no issue at MCI this morning. Other than the ridiculous $32 (2 day) taxes and fees on a $31 rental, and other than being given a MUCH larger car than I requested (with much lower gas mileage), and other than the 30-minute wait for the shuttle bus Thursday night, it was a fine rental.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
PIT - 6/15 - told the ExpressReturn attendant I'd bought gas; even asked if he needed to see the receipt.

Missed the $20 charge...
Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:33 pm

I had the same problem with Hertz on 2 diff rentals this weekend at diff locations. Was hit with the extra fuel charge at BUR for ~$24 and PAS for ~$20. Had them back it out on the spot.

It was so obvious because I expected my total charge for BUR/PAS to be $3.62/$1.02 after the application of the promo coupon
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:25 pm

Programs: NW Plat, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
This just happened to me at SEA last week. But it wasn't a small amount - it was $110!! And the car was filled up right outside the airport - and the needle was actually over F. So I dont see how this could be an "accident".

No wonder the lady on the telephone removed the charge with absolutely no fuss. They must realize what is going on, and that not everyone is too careless to notice.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Sounds like a class action lawsuit, just waiting to happen. Seems like it's pretty systemic, and not just a once in awhile occurrence.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 11:19 am

I've rented from Hertz over 100 times in the past 2 years, and have been hit with the fuel charge 4 times when the tank was full. 3 of those charges have been in the past 2 WEEKS. $30 at ABQ, $40 at SAN, and $120 at PHX. A call to customer service gets these charges reversed, but I'm worried they trend these requests and might start denying me based on the recent spike. Something is going on here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.