Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Anyone find using a Hertz Gold login gets them drastically better rates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 9:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

At some point, I signed up for this and get emails occasionally, though I can't recall the last time I booked directly with an agency. It's usually been through sites like rentalcars.com or autoeurope.com.

So I checked some rates on Hertz.com for a rental in Germany. First of all, you have to pay extra for CDW, which I don't mind, but also things like Third-Party Liability and Theft Insurance.

Not sure credit cards cover all these. Cards like Chase Sapphire Reserve will provide primary CDW.

So now I try to log in with my Hertz account, to see what rate differences if any.

Soon as I log in, they want me to update my credit card number. So I go back to the home page, and search again but now, they want me to call in to get the rates.

So anyone find using a Hertz Gold login gets them drastically better rates? Otherwise, most people would just go to another site, I would think.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:50 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Hertz Gold isn't about getting better rates. It's about convenience like skipping the rental counter by having all of your information on file, earning points which can be used for future rentals, being able to use Ultimate Choice (in the US) to choose your own vehicle, etc. More info here.

As far as insurance goes, credit card often offer CDW/TPW (theft), but never offer Third Party Liability (TPL or LIS). You can either book at a site that bundles that in, or you can book at a site like AutoSlash that offers discounted rates and purchase TPL/LIS at the counter if you wish. In certain countries, it may be included automatically by law.
Old May 26, 2017, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I've been using Hertz Gold and booking via the United website to get extra miles. As long as prices are similar, I don't care a lot as most of my rentals are reimbursed. (I wouldn't accept something substantially higher than competition.)

The absolutely best thing about Gold is that you show your license and get the keys in about 10 seconds.

For long term vacation rentals I check several companies' prices, and have used Autoslash, too, to find the best deal.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Hertz Gold isn't about getting better rates. It's about convenience like skipping the rental counter by having all of your information on file, earning points which can be used for future rentals, being able to use Ultimate Choice (in the US) to choose your own vehicle, etc. More info here.

As far as insurance goes, credit card often offer CDW/TPW (theft), but never offer Third Party Liability (TPL or LIS). You can either book at a site that bundles that in, or you can book at a site like AutoSlash that offers discounted rates and purchase TPL/LIS at the counter if you wish. In certain countries, it may be included automatically by law.
Thanks for the info.

When I search as guest, it does show the additional costs. TPL and LIS almost doubles the price so maybe that's why Hertz doesn't include them.

Or maybe it's just that way for Germany but domestic Hertz rentals would include them.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:52 am
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

Originally Posted by wco81
Thanks for the info.

When I search as guest, it does show the additional costs. TPL and LIS almost doubles the price so maybe that's why Hertz doesn't include them.

Or maybe it's just that way for Germany but domestic Hertz rentals would include them.
When you say domestic, you mean domestic US? US rentals booked through the US-based website like Hertz.com, Avis.com, Nationalcar.com, etc. never include CDW, TPW, LIS, etc. It's almost always a-la-carte.

Typically in the US, most folks have liability and collision coverage when renting through their personal auto policy. If they don't own a car, then their credit card usually covers them for damage, and they can purchase LIS through the rental company if they wish.

There is a writeup on car rental insurance on our site here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.