Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz not accepting debit cards

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:49 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Hertz not accepting debit cards

I was just told that as of September 1, Hertz will no longer accept debit cards to rent a car, only credit cards. Anyone else come across this policy?

New policy from the hertz.com website:

debit cards are not accepted at the outset of a rental to qualify for non-Hertz Gold Plus Rewards member rentals in the New York Metropolitan Tri-State Area and the areas of Hartford, CT, Philadelphia, PA, Boston, MA, and Detroit, MI. Also, debit cards are not accepted to qualify for non-Hertz Gold Plus Rewards member rentals and non-Insurance Replacement Rentals to customers under 25 years of age at Hertz Off-Airport locations not in the areas noted above.

Last edited by oldgoldflyer; Sep 4, 2015 at 9:00 am
Old Sep 4, 2015, 9:29 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer
I was just told that as of September 1, Hertz will no longer accept debit cards to rent a car, only credit cards. Anyone else come across this policy?

New policy from the hertz.com website:

debit cards are not accepted at the outset of a rental to qualify for non-Hertz Gold Plus Rewards member rentals in the New York Metropolitan Tri-State Area and the areas of Hartford, CT, Philadelphia, PA, Boston, MA, and Detroit, MI. Also, debit cards are not accepted to qualify for non-Hertz Gold Plus Rewards member rentals and non-Insurance Replacement Rentals to customers under 25 years of age at Hertz Off-Airport locations not in the areas noted above.
Doesn't seem very restrictive, just need to sign up for Gold Plus, which doesn't cost anything. Not that I would ever in a million years use a debit card for a car rental (or anything else, for that matter).
Old Sep 4, 2015, 12:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

You need a credit card to sign up for Hertz Gold Plus, so that won't work.

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Doesn't seem very restrictive, just need to sign up for Gold Plus, which doesn't cost anything. Not that I would ever in a million years use a debit card for a car rental (or anything else, for that matter).
Old Sep 7, 2015, 7:28 pm

Debit Card Usage:

If they can't get a credit card, then they are a higher risk renter. The bigger issue is all the insurance replacement renters that don't have to have a credit card.

Those are the ones my local HLE has shown me that smoke the car up and trash them. I saw a really nice Malibu LTZ and asked if I could have that one. They laughed and walked me out to show me.....omg. Full of fast food and cig butts. Back seat looked like three kids had spent a month in kids seats spilling and eating.

I asked, "How long did they have it?" Ten days was the reply. They were sending it out to get steam cleaned and detailed. What a freakin' mess and how rude it was treated.

They said they had a debit card, but the car was bone dry and their card declined....imagine that.

I asked if the company that rented it for them would pay, and the answer...."Of course not."

Now if they said that insurance replacement customers were required to have a credit card, then that would be a huge benefit to seeing cars that are less abused and in much better condition.

If the "insurance company owes me" mentality is prevalent, then those customers will treat the Hertz cars as something to abuse. As the folks in the nice Malibu did. I wonder if the next customer will have "it smells like smoke" problems.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.