Wiki Posts
Search

Cayman for a day at SFO

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Plat, National EE, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Fairmont Plat, HH Gold
Cayman for a day at SFO

So this afternoon Amex Concierge got back to me with a confirmed reservation at the French Laundry for 4....I was so ecstatic, I began planning my trip to SFO around this reservation.

I ended up booking a Cayman out of SFO for 1 day to drive to Napa, I use the Amex 4 hour grace period so it will actually be a 28 hour rental.

I'm literally only flying down to SFO for this meal, and leaving the following night.

I ended up getting a decent rate..but most surprisingly, unlimited miles, which I could not get with any other dream car collection vehicle.

I actually really wanted the boxster, but it appears to be sold out, the 911 also seemed appealing, but it did not come with unlimited miles.
I was wondering if the Boxter/911 was available on the day I get there, would I be able to "upgrade" and keep my unlimited miles? if so I'd gladly pay the $120/day difference for the 911 w/ PDK or Boxter for I guess the sae price as the cayman.

Oh and I am going down with a friend, and I want to put him on the rental as an additional driver, is there a charge for this? i'm a Hertz Gold 5* member if that makes a difference.

Now I am staying the night in SFO at the Fairmont, and leaving the next day at 9pm back to YVR, so I am wondering what are some "must drive routes" with the porsche for my full day in SFO Area.

Lastly, I noticed that all dream car rentals come with "white glove service"...what does this entail? do they deliver the car for me curb side? will there be a hertz greeter to meet/greet me after I land at SFO? will there be a pre-arrival contact from a manager much like a high end hotel?

If anybody have experienced this "white glove service" please let me know how it was, and what it entails. Also does the Cayman or Boxter or 911 come with GPS?

Lastly, for insurance, I am going to buy the Amex Premium Insurance for $30/day which I believe will cover the 911 as well if I do take the upgrade...has anyone bought this insurance before? Should I go this route or pay the $99.99 for the LDW at Hertz?

Last edited by specboi; May 23, 2015 at 2:26 am
Old May 26, 2015, 1:41 am
Original Poster

can somebody help me with some of these?

mainly, my flight lands at 3pm, and with a 6pm dinner reservation in Napa, I could really use a curb side car pick up service so I can get the car and go right after I get off the plane. (google map says the drive can take upto 3 hours with rush hour traffic)

and anybody know if there is a way for me to add my friend as a second driver without him actually being there?
I can fax hertz his Driver license info if needed.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
The little bit i can give some help with is the miles. Last time i flew to LAX i had a regular premium booked for my day trip, with unlimited miles of course. But upon getting there i decided i wanted a fun car so paid up to the SLS Roadster, unlimited miles transferred. So far as i can tell, you always get the unlimited miles when you book through hertz.com, ive only seen the 100/day limit with hertzdreamcars.com which alwasys wants far more then the location wants.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
The little bit i can give some help with is the miles. Last time i flew to LAX i had a regular premium booked for my day trip, with unlimited miles of course. But upon getting there i decided i wanted a fun car so paid up to the SLS Roadster, unlimited miles transferred. So far as i can tell, you always get the unlimited miles when you book through hertz.com, ive only seen the 100/day limit with hertzdreamcars.com which alwasys wants far more then the location wants.
How much was that upgrade if you don't mind me asking?
I'd definitely be willing to pay a little bit to upgrade to a 911, sls, or r8.

But right now I'm concerned about getting the car asap so I can get on the road and not miss my dinner reso
Old May 26, 2015, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Nope, your friend would have to physically present his or her license and the forms of ID. I would imagine they are even more strict about this with the Dream Cars.

-J.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Nope, your friend would have to physically present his or her license and the forms of ID. I would imagine they are even more strict about this with the Dream Cars.

-J.
thanks
Old May 27, 2015, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock

-J.
But you can do it at any location, so if you're driving the following day, you can add him for that.
Old May 27, 2015, 8:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Also, be aware, they're going to want two forms of ID, plus two credit cards.

At time of rental you will need valid identification in the driver’s name.*
• United States or foreign country issued driver’s license
• Credit card with sufficient funds available. Debit cards cannot be accepted
• A second credit or debit card for identification only
• Another form of identification:
• Government ID preferred – passport or military
• or, at manager discretion – health insurance cards, club membership cards, etc.

If identification is not accepted, Hertz may offer an alternative vehicle model.

Driver’s identification will be photocopied, sealed, secured and shredded when the Dream Cars vehicle is returned.
- See more at: http://hertzdreamcars.com/dream-serv....SVLMBpwx.dpuf
Old May 28, 2015, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

So last night I was playing on the hertz website and came across a 911 deal that was really good (almost too good to be true), so I booked it... Now I would be willing to change my trip itinerary and extend my trip just based on getting this car for so cheap... However I wanted to be sure, so I emailed the dream car manager at hertz to confirm.... Today he responded saying that the reservation is showing up as a premium car, and he is unable to honor the price quoted on my reservation.

I was wondering if I am able to push him to honor the price, or would hertz not budget on a dream car rental... Likely this is a website error.

Old May 28, 2015, 8:37 pm

My experience with Dream Cars and rates too good to be true is very negative. I booked an M5 much the same as you were going to with the 911. When I arrived at the airport the manager just basically said "sorry, I cant honor the rate, we can put you in an Impala for that rate". I protested, even went as far as calling Hertz customer assistance to no avail. Ended up using my ES status at National, rented a midsize and paid $100 to get the Maserati, literally whipped out the phone while standing in front of the Hertz person and made the ressie with National.. I find to expect the worst when it comes to Hertz as of late..
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

So after quite a few email exchanges, Hertz admitted that the pricing was due to an internal coding error, but they have agreed to honor the pricing for this rental.

Thank you hertz for admitting the mistake and rectifying it in a way where they were able to keep the customers happy.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 7:07 am

Hi

Whom did you email? can you share it please? thanks
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HiSoC8Y
Hi

Whom did you email? can you share it please? thanks
not sure if hertz would appreciate that I share the info publically as to who I emailed, but it took about 25 email exchanges, and at one point with 6 people being cc'd on the emails back and forth.

ultimately it was a website error, hertz had every right to say no to me (i believe there is a fine print disclaimer on their website that they do not need to honor website errors), but they ended up making the right customer service move and made the exception to keep a customer happy.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:00 pm

Dunno if you have the time or the inclination, but as for driving roads, here are two that you could check out.

Mines Road, South out of Livermore, to CA-130 East, and then back north on I-5. 2 lane, twisty turny, sometimes down to one lane. Up and down mountains.

CA 130 Originally built as a wagon trail to aid in the construction of Lick Observatory, "Mt. Hamilton Road" travels east out of San Jose, CA and rises over the foothills, only to ascend again up the summit of Mt. Hamilton. It has a total of 365 curves and switchbacks: "...one for every day of the year."

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/roads/ca130.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Califo...tate_Route_130

If you get real crazy, you can start in SJ, do CA-130, head north on Mines Road back to 580. But from experience, CA-130 or Mines Rd by themselves are extremely tiring driving at speed, not sure I would want to do both in one day.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by specboi
can somebody help me with some of these?

mainly, my flight lands at 3pm, and with a 6pm dinner reservation in Napa, I could really use a curb side car pick up service so I can get the car and go right after I get off the plane. (google map says the drive can take upto 3 hours with rush hour traffic)

and anybody know if there is a way for me to add my friend as a second driver without him actually being there?
I can fax hertz his Driver license info if needed.
An hour and a half on a good day with no traffic. Weekday, rush hour thru San Francisco across the Bay Bridge. Certainly doable in 3 but don't dilly dally anywhere along the route.

If you don't have Platinum/Curbside expect 30 minutes at least to get the car and hopefully you have no luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.