Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Hertz at LHR (Heathrow)

Hi all,

I will be renting a G class:

Premium, 4-5 Door, Automatic, Air (Group G) PDAR
(G) Audi A4 Auto. or similar

From Hertz at Heathrow. Any ideas on anyone who has traveled through Heathrow, what types of cars are considered similar? Also, when you book at automatic, you are guaranteed one, correct?

Finally, there are so many customer complaints on Hertz at Heathrow about "alleged damage" on return of the car (an alleged ploy by Hertz Heathrow because they know you have a flight to catch...)

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with that? Something to worry about?

I am Hertz Gold Plus.

Thanks for any help here!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by theone1080
Hi all,

I will be renting a G class:

Premium, 4-5 Door, Automatic, Air (Group G) PDAR
(G) Audi A4 Auto. or similar

From Hertz at Heathrow. Any ideas on anyone who has traveled through Heathrow, what types of cars are considered similar? Also, when you book at automatic, you are guaranteed one, correct?

Finally, there are so many customer complaints on Hertz at Heathrow about "alleged damage" on return of the car (an alleged ploy by Hertz Heathrow because they know you have a flight to catch...)

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with that? Something to worry about?

I am Hertz Gold Plus.

Thanks for any help here!
In my experience, the odds are VERY high that you'll get an A4 diesel. You will get an automatic if you book one (absent some sort of incredibly unlikely catastrophic shortage).

Definitely, when you get the car, go over it with a fine-toothed comb, and mark ANY damage you see on the form before you leave the lot. LHR isn't as persnickety as the German locations, but it's much more stringent than US rental car operations.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. I will be sure to check the car over.

Audi A4 it is...

Any ideas of what other cars are in the class?

Yes, I will check the car over entirely before taking it
Old Mar 4, 2015, 12:24 pm

Thanks for your input. I will be sure to check the car over.

Audi A4 it is...

Any ideas of what other cars are in the class?
Honestly, no idea. The four or five times I've rented G from LHR, they've all been A4 diesels. Now that I think of it, they may all have also been silver...
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Hm, seems like LHR has a type...

OK. Thanks!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:17 am

Hertz UK has acquired a fair number of Audis in the last year, so you're likely to get the Audi. Merc C or BMW are also possible. Yes, if you've specifucally reserved an auto, you'll get auto. I was once upgraded to a Mercedes S class from the Audi I'd booked, because it was the only other auto in the depot.
Damage control (for all European rental operators) is strict. Much stricter than north American customers are used to. You need to understand the different business model and thoroughly inspect the car (really thoroughly) against the damage sheet before you drive away. If you see any scrapes or scratches on the car that aren't in the damage sheet, insist that this is amended and signed before you leave the depot. Also understand that if the car incurs damage (however caused) when it's in your hands, that won't be overlooked.
Remember that diesel pumps in the UK are the black one. Putting unleaded (green pump) in a diesel causes catastrophic engine damage - we're talking thousands of pounds.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful information. I will be sure to do that check thoroughly when I pick up the car.

One other question, I will be picking up the car late (around 8:00 p.m.), is there a chance I won't get an auto transmission or not get either a Audi, BMW, MB?

I am Hertz Gold Plus and an AMEX Plat. card holder. Thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:03 pm

Thanks for all the helpful information. I will be sure to do that check thoroughly when I pick up the car.

One other question, I will be picking up the car late (around 8:00 p.m.), is there a chance I won't get an auto transmission or not get either a Audi, BMW, MB?

There's always a chance, but again, I'd say very low. On the automatic, virtually zero (as in, only if they just don't have anything auto on the lot). For a non-Audi/BMW/MB, very low, since, if they don't have an A4 or something similar, they should give you a step up. I've been offered a Volvo SUV (XC90) instead of the A4, but turned it down, and they gave me the A4.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Marriott, IHG, Sirius, Dusit, Thai, Virgin, Hyatt, BAA, AS, AA(both)

A few points

Amex Plat won't make a difference at LHR (not sure why it should they never look at the CDP benefit here)

You will be extremely unlucky to not get an AUTO if booked, unless they were due cars back and none have been returned - I can't tell when you are booked

You will almost certainly get an Audi A4 Auto (most have been black for me !)

I don't think there are any BMWs left - haven't seen any for ages and not many Merc at LHR - Manchester definately; LCY seems to be a Volvo lot, with a few Mazdas (which I detest)
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, HiltonHHonors Gold, Hertz PC (thru DL)
A4 spec?

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Honestly, no idea. The four or five times I've rented G from LHR, they've all been A4 diesels. Now that I think of it, they may all have also been silver...
How well spec'd are these A4s? Nav? Leather? Cruise Control?

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2015, 1:32 am

Cruise control and leather are standard features on the A4.
Factory sat nav is a cost option on some versions, so not guaranteed - though every example I've had from Hertz did have it.
They all have the automatic cut out when stopped, which is odd the first time you encounter it, but you quickly get used to it.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
When you return the car, make sure you get a receipt from one of the staff checking in cars with hand held terminals. Then you can be reassured no damage charges will be incurred (assuming there isn't any).
I always choose to return the car full and use the filling station on Bath Road (next to McDonalds)
Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.