Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz global sale

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Hertz global sale

I'm not sure if everyone is seeing it but there are discounts of "up to" 33% using CDP 999901.

I just managed to get a week in a group C from the Cardiff city centre location for £80, with TopCashback and Iberia Avios as well bringing the effective cost down to about £52 including LDW and tax.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:01 am

Thats quite a good rate, I usually pay around £60 for a weekly.

Quick question what is LDW, is it the same as CDW or is it Supercover as they call it? I know i dont get supercover only as i have an annual policy that covers all hire cars i use for damage
Old Aug 28, 2014, 10:08 am
Original Poster

£60 for a weekly is excellent ... how do you manage that? (I've only got one option as to where and when I can pick up however).

Actually if I could do a consistent £60 weekly I don't think I'd own my own car!

LDW is included in all UK rates but it's worth mentioning for non-European readers who may be used to $12 a day specials that don't include insurance.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:07 am

Cymro, could you please explain to me how you stack the discounts?

For example, I see there's a sale, TCB will give £3 or 10% but only if you pay in advance.

Iberia have a 3x avios offer on, but using their PC forces you to pay on arrival (hence just £3 not £8 for the rental from TCB)

Iberia also state you should use their CDP to claim the avios - which presumably means you can't use the sale CDP? Or can you use any CDP provided you use the PC? I'm sure it's intentionally this confusing

Basically I'm new to this but I have a total of about 1 month of car rentals coming up across the next two months, so I'd love to get lots of avios / a decent rate or ideally both. Can I mix and match CDPs and PCs and still claim my Avios? Or is it a case of working out which will be cheaper (ie cash discount or avios 'cashback'?)
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by namdas
For example, I see there's a sale, TCB will give £3 or 10% but only if you pay in advance.

Iberia have a 3x avios offer on, but using their PC forces you to pay on arrival (hence just £3 not £8 for the rental from TCB)

Iberia also state you should use their CDP to claim the avios - which presumably means you can't use the sale CDP? Or can you use any CDP provided you use the PC? I'm sure it's intentionally this confusing
Iberia is a great programme with Hertz. But you can have some of your cake, and you can eat some of your cake.

If you get triple Avios that works out at approximately 600 extra avios per day, which I would value at ~£6. Assuming there is no cap on a rental length, you would get potentially ~27,000 Avios out of a month-long rental.

However, assuming that the rental rate is £600 for the month with the Iberia CDP, post-paid, and £400 for the month on the global sale, prepaid:

Prepay
£40 TCB
300 x 30 = 9,000 avios worth £90
Net cost of rental - £270

Post-pay
£3 TCB
900 x 30 = 27,000 avios worth £270
Net cost of rental - £327

In that case, you're better off going for the pre-pay rental unless you know you need the flexibility. Different CDPs also give different discounts. Usually negotiated corporate rates (where you always pay £x per day) will give half Avios, so you'd only get 4,500 avios in the example above. However the Amex plat CDP gets full (but not bonus) avios. I assume that the Hertz sale CDP will work the same way. If you want triple avios, you have to use the Iberia CDP and pay at location.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:06 am

That's much clearer, thanks. So would you still use the Iberia PC with Amex/Hertz Sale's CDP, or just enter your FF number in the box on booking? The Iberia site seems to imply you need all of it, but if it tracks with the FF number alone that's worth knowing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.