Search

Toyota RAV4 @ LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG, Nexus, Aeroplan, AMEX MR, BA Avios
Toyota RAV4 @ LAX?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what trim I would receive for IFAR rented at LAX? It should be a Toyota Rav4, but I was wondering if I can ask for a higher trim model? Really wanna have satellite radio to listen to the playoffs during my longer drives.

It should just be the LE AWD model, anyone with experiences with 2014 Limited AWD rentals at LAX? or are they all the basic trims? Will I have to pay extra for a higher trim?

Haven't seen any reviews of an IFAR model at LAX this year in the other thread.

I will be travelling with 3 other people. USAA Member and Hertz Gold Plus enrolled. Canadian Passports.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Never seen one at LAX.

Chevy Captiva is their #1 IFAR at LAX. Jeep Liberty second.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 4:57 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
They have a very few RAV4s at LAX at present - but be warned, some of them are the previous generation model. You will not get a choice of trim.

They are well supplied with Captivas, and also have reasonable numbers of Ford Escape (including the last few of the previous generation model). Thankfully the Libertys are disappearing, but there are still some. There are also small quantities of prev gen Nissan Rogue, Mazda CX5, Kia Sportage, VW Tiguan, Jeep Patriot, Buick Encore and 5 seater Dodge Journey. There are very few Subaru Legacy/Outback, Jeep Compass, Nissan Murano.

Unlike the regular sedans were they sometimes do have different trim levels, all of these tend to come to the same spec.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Red Scorpion
They have a very few RAV4s at LAX at present - but be warned, some of them are the previous generation model. You will not get a choice of trim.

They are well supplied with Captivas, and also have reasonable numbers of Ford Escape (including the last few of the previous generation model). Thankfully the Libertys are disappearing, but there are still some. There are also small quantities of prev gen Nissan Rogue, Mazda CX5, Kia Sportage, VW Tiguan, Jeep Patriot, Buick Encore and 5 seater Dodge Journey. There are very few Subaru Legacy/Outback, Jeep Compass, Nissan Murano.

Unlike the regular sedans were they sometimes do have different trim levels, all of these tend to come to the same spec.
Which one should i go for? if I had the choice between all of them.... CX5? Tiguan? Rav4?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:06 am

I've not driven them all yet, but given the choice, I'd take the Mazda. The Escape is pretty decent to drive, too, though I am no fan of the mess of buttons on the dashboard.

The Rogue is OK, though hardly exciting (See: http://themotor.net/?p=8501 )
Everything I've read says the Sportage is not bad (not driven one). The Encore is notably smaller than the others, but a bit plusher inside.

I'd give the Jeeps a wide berth, as they are rather unrefined, and most of them on fleet are 2 years old. The Toyota would find itself at the bottom of the list, only just above the Jeeps. If you want an utterly anodyne experience, then by all means take it, but the RAV4 is a bland machine with steering that is sensationless. Some people clearly like that, but as I want to have some clue as to what the road wheels are going to do based on my inputs to the wheel! The side hinged rear door on the old model was also an issue depending on where you parked it.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Red Scorpion

What's the resident SFAR at LAX then? Might do an upgrade.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: Hertz 5*, United Gold (Soon to be gone), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jwongathon
what's the resident sfar at lax then? Might do an upgrade.
(310) 568-5100
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:04 am

In the SFAR Group you are most likely to get a Chevrolet Equinox, or a GMC Terrain.

There are a very few Ford Edges, which are MUCH nicer, not least as they are 3.5 V6 models in Limited trim, where as the Equinox are 2.4 litre 4 cylinder cars. The Equinox is OK, but no better than that.

There are also a few Dodge Journeys and Kia Sorentos.

I've not seen a Highlander for a year or a 4Runner and the Endeavors have all gone, as have the old Santa Fes. I did see a couple of Jeep Grand Cherokee last trip, but they were out of State cars which you only tend to be allowed if you are doing a one way out of Cali (unless they are tight on cars).

LAX often include the L4s (The Traverse/Acadia/Enclave/ Ford Explorer) in the same category, though they are separately bookable.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 12:07 am
Original Poster

damn, really hoping to get a Toyota or something imported.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.