Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ride Report - '13 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS Coupe

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L

One of my favorite types of cars is the classic American muscle car. Hertz takes much pride in the fact that they rent cars like this, going as far as putting five (well, six) of them in their own special category, named the Adrenaline Collection. The only reason to rent one of these raging rear-wheel-drive monsters is because they are terribly fun to drive. I generally rent cheaper, common category cars, but once in a while I like to treat myself. The wonderful staff at my location make it very easy for me to do that. When the Gold Booth agent tells you to wait while he gets your car from the back lot, insisting on going to get it himself, you know it's gotta be something good. I was not disappointed when he pulled up with a furious, screaming Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS coupe.

http://www.chevrolet.com/2013-camaro...mance-car.html

Car Description: SIRCAMARO SS SN
Class: V6 (CHEV CAMARO SS-ADRENALINE)

This Camaro coupe is a top-of-the-line 2SS RS trim with an as-new MSRP of $40,380. I picked it up with 25,419 miles on the odometer, and two days later returned it at 25,912, albeit unwillingly.

Powertrain: The Camaro 2SS is powered by the monstrous "L99" 6.2L V8, which provides a hearty 400 horsepower and 410 lb-ft of torque to the rear wheels. The L99, developed in 2010, is derived from the slightly more-powerful LS3, which is found in Camaros with manual transmissions and the Corvette. The primary difference between the two is that the L99 has Active Fuel Management (AFM), which deactivates four cylinders when load demand is low. Connected to a 6-speed automatic transmission with a sport and paddle shifter-operated manual mode, it'll take you from 0 to 60 in a mere 4.8 seconds.

It sounds absolutely fantastic inside the car, and even better outside -- simply starting the car induces a roar and a glorious crackling noise. Power comes quickly and don't be surprised if the wheels spin a bit, even if traction control is on. Speaking of that, you can of course turn it off, but by hitting the button twice you activate StabiliTrak Competitive Driving Mode which lowers the authority of the stability control, allowing you more freedom in lateral movement (if that's what you're trying to do ).

All in all, the L99 is a damn good engine -- Chevrolet really knows what they're doing. Unfortunately, all of this power comes at the expense of fuel economy, rated at 16 mpg city and 24 mpg highway. I averaged right around 16 with lots of high-speed highway driving.

Ride/Handling: Although the ride is very firm and unforgiving on bumpy roads, it handles magnificently at high speed; body roll is virtually nonexistent. My primary complaint is that even at low speeds with traction control on, it's perhaps a little too easy to spin the wheels. Turn it off, and you get plenty of lateral movement and oversteer. Brembo brakes provide strong and linear stopping control. It's a dream to drive.

Interior: Upon opening the door, you're greeted by fancy black and silver door sill plates. Trimmed in black leather, the interior of the Camaro was quite sporty yet comfortable. Both seats, clad in leather and well-bolstered and cushioned, are fully power-adjustable, although there is no lumbar adjustment. A rear bench can hold two smaller passengers. There is plenty of storage in the Camaro, with door pockets and a large center console and glove compartment. SS badging can be found in multiple places.

Three things stand out inside the Camaro's cabin, starting with the seven-inch diagonal touchscreen for the Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system. It's easy to use and very responsive, and includes a rearview camera (though guidance markings would have been nice, it did have a proximity sensor). This particular Camaro also came with factory navigation, built into the MyLink system; I liked it better than the NeverLost interface, although choosing points of interest was not always intuitive. The sound system consisted of nine Boston Acoustics speakers, which sound simply phenomenal.

Secondly, the sunroof improves the experience especially on a nice day, although it comes at the cost of headroom -- the cabin is very short and this is noticeable. This also highlights a generally poor level of outside visibility. Finally, the gauge cluster is easy to read and has a sporty look. Four auxiliary gauges are located below and somewhat behind the HVAC controls and display oil pressure and temperature, transmission fluid temperature, and voltage. The 2SS also comes with a heads-up display which can show speed, tachometer, or temperature and compass bearing; I found this extremely useful as it allows you keep your eyes on the road more of the time.

Exterior/Design: It's a Camaro and it's black. There isn't too much else I can say. The RS package brings halo headlamps, body colored moldings and antenna, and red SS badging. It's one of the best-looking Chevrolets on the road. The trunk opening is somewhat small, but if you can get it through there, a surprisingly large amount of space is available. The Camaro is also loud as heck

Features: The 2SS comes with many standard features such as power-adjustable heated seats, the Chevy MyLink system, remote lock/unlock/trunk/start, single zone climate control, and the standard GM steering wheel. Special to the Camaro are the Brembo brakes, 20" aluminum wheels, rear spoiler, and heads-up display. Very importantly, this Camaro 2SS came with the RS Package ($1,350), which adds Midnight Silver-painted aluminum wheels, high-intensity discharge headlamps with LED halos, body-cover roof ditch molding, and a body-color shark-fin antenna. It also came with the 6-speed automatic transmission ($1,185) with paddle shifters, the 6.2L V8 engine with Active Fuel Management (included with automatic transmission), a power sunroof ($900), and a front license plate bracket ($15). In addition, the MyLink infotainment system came with navigation ($795).

Value: Would you believe that I used points for this rental? Having booked a PCAR, this was a $25-per-day upgrade

Summary
  • L99 6.2L V8 w/ Active Fuel Management (400 hp, 410 lb-ft)
  • 6-speed automatic with paddle shifters
  • 16/24 mpg (19-gal. tank)
  • 2SS trim (top level) w/ RS package

PROS:
  • L99 6.2L V8 w/ Active Fuel Management (400 hp, 410 lb-ft)
  • Exterior design
  • MyLink touchscreen and navigation system
  • Fantastic handling, Brembo brakes
  • Boston Acoustics sound system
  • Heads-up display turns heads

CONS:
  • Inadequate visibility
  • Low headroom
  • Fuel economy

Final Verdict: Damn the cons and damn the haters. This is one of the best cars I have ever driven.

Photo info: although a couple were taken in random areas near Salt Lake City, most of the photos in this report were taken at the Bonneville Salt Flats near Wendover, Utah.

-J.

And no need to worry -- I cleaned it up nicely when I was done playing
Old Nov 29, 2013, 1:56 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
One of my favourite rental cars, also.

Great report, with some splendid photos. Thank you for taking the time to produce, and post, Joshua.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 2:54 am

Programs: Aer Lingus
Great report - I've always chosen either the Vette or the Challenger ahead of the Camaro but you've convinced me. Next time I rent in the US...Camaro all the way.

Great photos too.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by ferg01
Great report - I've always chosen either the Vette or the Challenger ahead of the Camaro but you've convinced me. Next time I rent in the US...Camaro all the way.

Great photos too.
Those are actually the other two Adrenaline cars I've rented. The Corvette is more performance-oriented, with a slightly more powerful engine and better handling; however this is at the cost of high-tech goodies like the HUD and any sense of practicality The Challenger, while less powerful and slightly larger, I felt is a bit more true to its form as a classically-derived muscle car.

With that said, I really liked the Challenger too, but I would give the Camaro a slight edge. If a Corvette was available though and it was just me traveling...

-J.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 9:37 pm

Very nice RR!!

Do you always drive your rental cars onto what I'm guessing are the salt flats?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Very nice RR!!

Do you always drive your rental cars onto what I'm guessing are the salt flats?
Thank you! I have a couple of videos too that y'all might want to check out:
Definitely not! This was the first time I actually made it onto the salt since I had the Subaru last year. I had gone out there back in September with a Challenger R/T but the salt flats were flooded and I was confined to the asphalt

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Nov 30, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.