Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Award Rental Frustration!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Angry Hertz Award Rental Frustration!

So I just hung up with Hertz, and I'm beyond frustrated and confused!

Here is the situation:
I currently have a minivan rented from March 27th - April 6th at the Orlando Airport. At the time of booking, I used 4,000 points for the first week and then paid cash for the balance...didn't have enough points to do more than that. Now I currently have ~7,000 points + the 4,000 for this rental, so I called to change the entire rental to all points.
I was told by both the agent and her manager, that I could not rent the minivan for ten days using points...I'd have to turn the van back in and then re-rent it using a 3 day award...what a pain in the @ss...so I said, fine, no problem, I'll just use 8,000 point and reserve it for two weeks and turn it in early. NOPE, can't do that either...If I turned it in early I was told they would take all 8,000 points AND charge me for the 3 days of rental over a week b/c the 2 week award has a minimum of 12 days...What the heck?!?! This makes absolutely NO SENSE to me whatsoever!

As a side note, both ladies that I dealt with were extremely patient, professional, and understanding...couldn't be happier with the level of service, just don't like the answer they had to give me!

Anyone else ever run into something like this? I can't believe there is not a work around in the system?!?!
Old Mar 21, 2013, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
It makes perfect sense. That's just how the system works... isn't it convenient (for them) how easily they can force you to pay? (@ Hertz)

Like most companies, Hertz does make it difficult to use award points. They would prefer you didn't use them so they could make more revenue. Unfortunately (again, for them) they need to have this points scheme if they want people to stay remotely loyal to them.

-J.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jzweighaft
It makes perfect sense. That's just how the system works... isn't it convenient (for them) how easily they can force you to pay? (@ Hertz)

Like most companies, Hertz does make it difficult to use award points. They would prefer you didn't use them so they could make more revenue. Unfortunately (again, for them) they need to have this points scheme if they want people to stay remotely loyal to them.

-J.
I have to disagree. I have used 35,000 points in the last 2 years with not a single issue. You run into problems with any rental (Including revenue) when trying to do something outside the system. If you have a van rented for a week and then want to add 3 days you are NOT going to get the same rate. If you make it 2 weeks you will. The rate the OP got was a weekly point rate which is lower than the daily rate. Cake/eat it too is the issue.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 9:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I have to disagree. I have used 35,000 points in the last 2 years with not a single issue. You run into problems with any rental (Including revenue) when trying to do something outside the system. If you have a van rented for a week and then want to add 3 days you are NOT going to get the same rate. If you make it 2 weeks you will. The rate the OP got was a weekly point rate which is lower than the daily rate. Cake/eat it too is the issue.
+1 - Exactly. Car rentals just like air tickets and hotel rooms are not necessarily sold by the unit. There are deals to be had on certain vehicles at certain locations for certain periods of time. Those deals aren't necessarily flexible. OP obtained a quote for one rental and now proposes a different deal. That deal has a different "price."

OP needs to make a decision, book or cancel and move on.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, H.com Gold^3, lowly something on others...
+1 here as well. I think Hertz has one of the better redemption policy second to Southwest. I do understand the award is for "fixed" day, weekend, or week, but that's how the system works and seems to be working well in my experience.

If there is anything to complain about is the all the stupid airport taxes and surcharges on free days. This makes award less valuable, especially on weekends, where you can get opaque booking rate+tax for just a few dollars more than than surcharges on the free award day.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Perhaps I'm not making my point...I'm not frustrated with the overall program of Hertz...i think it's probably the best in the car rental industry...although I have no choice, as my company has a contract with Hertz.
What is frustrating is that I'm willing to pay more than what they are requiring (using 8,000 points for two weeks) for my rental period of 10 days. Instead of allowing me to do that, they are saying I would be punished if I did. In addition, I think the fact that you can't combine a 1 week rental with a 3 day rental to make one 10 day rental is something they should change. If I wanted to rent for 10 days using points, I would have to physically return the vehicle and start another 3 day rental under a different contract.
not sure why anyone would think this is efficient or a good policy, but apparently plenty here do.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Perhaps I'm not making my point...I'm not frustrated with the overall program of Hertz...i think it's probably the best in the car rental industry...although I have no choice, as my company has a contract with Hertz.
What is frustrating is that I'm willing to pay more than what they are requiring (using 8,000 points for two weeks) for my rental period of 10 days. Instead of allowing me to do that, they are saying I would be punished if I did. In addition, I think the fact that you can't combine a 1 week rental with a 3 day rental to make one 10 day rental is something they should change. If I wanted to rent for 10 days using points, I would have to physically return the vehicle and start another 3 day rental under a different contract.
not sure why anyone would think this is efficient or a good policy, but apparently plenty here do.
I just assumed you knew this but: If you book a 2 week rental and bring it back after 1 week and 3 days you do not pay any more. I do this often for cars I need for say, 5 days. I book a week at the lower rate and drop it off early. I am charged the full week but in most cases it is less than if I "booked" it that way.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I just assumed you knew this but: If you book a 2 week rental and bring it back after 1 week and 3 days you do not pay any more. I do this often for cars I need for say, 5 days. I book a week at the lower rate and drop it off early. I am charged the full week but in most cases it is less than if I "booked" it that way.
thanks for posting this...this is contrary to what they told me...they said if I did the 2 week rental and turned it in after 10 days, they would take my 8,000 points, PLUS charge me for the 3 days beyond the one week...I've been told this by an agent and a supervisor.

Maybe I'll call back tonight and see if I can get the answer I'm looking for!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bsdstone
thanks for posting this...this is contrary to what they told me...they said if I did the 2 week rental and turned it in after 10 days, they would take my 8,000 points, PLUS charge me for the 3 days beyond the one week...I've been told this by an agent and a supervisor.

Maybe I'll call back tonight and see if I can get the answer I'm looking for!
I am not sure it is policy to tell you about that but they actually win in the transaction anyway. It is the same for revenue rentals BTW.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:01 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
There are many deals in the travel industry. A principle that is
increasing is that if you change your plans, you pay much more.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: Double Platinum all programs (Shh it's a secret level)
It may be relevant that it's Easter week in Orlando meaning more cars are out. I understand your point, but they may have less flexibility with exceptions.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 2:45 pm

If you were paying cash for the 1 week 3 day rental you wouldn't get the benefit of the 2 week rental rate. Same applies for the point rental; if you booked a 2 week rental and returned it early you would be repriced at a 1 week, 3 day rental.

A previous poster mentioned booking for 7 days and returning after 5; the reason this works is a 5 day rental is a week rental; with the exception of a Saturday keep rate requirement, they are one in the same.

The points program is not always the most convenient, but the rules are the rules; it's a perk, it doesn't even have to exist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.