Wiki Posts
Search

Ride Report - '12 Chevrolet Cruze 2LT

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2012, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Ride Report - '12 Chevrolet Cruze 2LT

(Note: sorry it took me so long to get this out -- I rented this over a month ago! Due to a family emergency and a lot of other things happening, I didn't get around to resizing photos until tonight. Hope you enjoy this! J)

For my fall break I decided to do some more sightseeing, this time going to Fossil Butte National Monument near Kemmerer, Wyoming. Once again taking advantage of the Weekender Special rates, I was picked up in and initially offered a 2011 Sentra! I asked if they had anything else, fully prepared to go swap at the airport, but then they surprised me with a Chevrolet Cruze 2LT I've been wanting to drive a Cruze for ages, and now I finally had the chance to do so, and in a nicely equipped one too!

www.chevrolet.com/2012-cruze-compact-car.html

Car Description: 12 SIR CRUZE 4D S (2012 Chevrolet Cruze 2LT sedan w/ Sirius)
Class: C4/EDAR (Intermediate Fuel Saver, formerly Green Choice)

The 2LT trim is the higher of two available mid-level LT trims. With a $22,680 MSRP, the Cruze 2LT is somewhat expensive for a compact midsize car. I received the car with 16,833 miles on the odometer, and drove around 431 miles over a two-day period. I also recommend you check out drzoidberg's report of a nearly identical Cruze 2LT he rented earlier this year

Powertrain: The Cruze 2LT is powered by a seemingly-small 1.4L inline 4-cylinder GM "Family 0" Ecotec engine. It doesn't seem like much -- until you see the turbocharger next to it It produces 138 horsepower, the same power output as its 1.8L brother (found on lower trims); on the other hand, it produces 148 ft-lbs. of torque at only 1850 rpm! There's a short lag in acceleration as the turbocharger spins up, but once it's going, it feels like a jet. It was my first time ever driving a vehicle with a turbocharger, and it's incredible. This Cruze has the optional 6-speed automatic transmission (+$1,185) with a very responsive manual mode. This system provides plenty of power for the Cruze, and cruising in 6th gear is effortless. Rated at 26 mpg in the city and 38 mpg on the highway, I averaged around 29 with mostly highway driving; I attribute this to some steep hills, high-speed cruising, and the altitude (ranging from 4,200 to over 8,000 feet above sea level, with most of the driving over 6,000 feet). Normally, a car with a turbocharger would use less fuel than a non-equipped vehicle at higher altitudes, but any vehicle will take a hit of some sort. If I drove like a normal human being I expect I would have been able to average in the upper 30s.

Ride/Handling: The Cruze handled well in my opinion. The suspension is stiff enough to prevent body lean during tight turns, but not so much that you feel every single bump in the road. Steering definitely felt light and perhaps even boosted, but it wasn't to the point where you didn't know how tight the turn would be; on a related note, the Cruze has an excellent turning radius. Brakes are firm and effective. One issue I did have with this Cruze was the traction; driving on some gravel roads, I had a lot of trouble trying to stay on the road in turns, and it skidded pretty easily. Perhaps this is due to the tires, but I would have expected more effort from the car's traction control It makes me wonder how well this car would manage in the winter here in Utah.

Interior: Having only driven one other midsize car model in recent history (Toyota Corollas), the Cruze 2LT blows that out of the water and is very nicely equipped. The Jet Black leather seats are relatively comfortable but could be more cushioned and supportive. The driver seat was adjustable 6 ways power, and reclined manually, while the passenger seat was fully manual; both seats were heated. On the other hand, the steering wheel, also wrapped in leather, was very comfortable and the thumb grips were very welcome. Audio, bluetooth, and cruise (cruze? ) controls were all located on the front of the steering wheel in a very intuitive layout; the wheel itself also tilts and telescopes in terms of adjustment.

The gauge cluster was easy to read, and I liked the information screen in the center; this is something I could get used to, and I hope to see something similar in future Chevrolets. The entertainment system was also easy to use; however the large screen could definitely have taken a higher resolution. The 6-speaker sound system is connected to an AM/FM/satellite radio/CD player and also has USB and auxiliary input jacks. The Cruze is also equipped with Bluetooth phone connectivity, which is very simple to utilize and uses voice commands. There are also two DC power outlets (one in the front and one in the rear). All of the windows have express-down capability from the driver's seat, and the driver's window has express-up. The automatically dimming rearview mirror was also appreciated. The trunk is also as large as an Altima's ^

Not everything is wonderful with the Cruze, though. The buttons don't always respond unless pushed very firmly. The center console is tiny and not even large enough for the rental contract. The reading lamps look like something you'd see in a car 10 years ago. The engine is small and surprisingly quiet, but when pushed very hard can be buzzy. Road noise is also not very well muted in the Cruze, but can be masked by turning up the radio volume.

Exterior/Design: The Cruze really does look sort of generic from many angles. The grill with the oversized Chevy bow does give it a slightly aggressive demeanor, but it otherwise didn't have much going for it. The rear light layout is unmemorable. The Silver Ice Metallic paint scheme works well with many Chevys, including the Cruze. I also liked the 17-inch 5-spoke flangeless alloy wheels.

Features: The 2LT trim comes with many standard features: foldable key with remote lock/unlock and remote start; 6-speaker audio system featuring AM/FM/satellite radio with CD and MP3 capability, auxiliary jack, USB input, active SiriusXM subscription ^; Bluetooth phone connectivity; tilt-and-telescopic leather-wrapped steering wheel with cruise and Bluetooth/audio controls; 6-way power adjustable drivers seat; heated front seats with 3 settings; rear bench armrest with cupholders; center console with sliding armrest; two DC power outlets; power windows with express-down on all and express-up for driver; foldable key with remote start; automatic exterior lamps; 17" 5-spoke wheels; and an automatic dimming rearview mirror with OnStar. Optional features that were included were the 6-speed automatic transmission ($1,185) and the front license plate bracket ($15).

Value: Using the USAA CDP and the "Weekender Special" rate quote, I was quoted around $36 for a Compact (B/CCAR) vehicle before applying the $10 off per-day PC which brought my rate down to a little under $18 for two days; unfortunately, Hertz has caught on to this practice and now prohibits combining the two. My friends at my HLE were able to take off $15 as a "taxi reimbursement" bringing my final total down to $21.39.

Summary
  • 1.4L turbocharged inline 4-cylinder engine (138 hp, 148 ft-lb)
  • 6-speed automatic transmission w/ overdrive and manual mode
  • 26/38 mpg (regular fuel)
  • Higher of the mid-level LT trims

PROS:
  • Incredible fuel economy
  • Handles well
  • Huge trunk
  • Folding key with remote start

CONS:
  • Seat comfort
  • Non-responsiveness of buttons
  • Tiny center storage console
  • Traction on unimproved roads

Final Verdict: The Cruze is a fun midsize car to drive around with a stunning fuel economy. Some imperfections remind you that it's a Daewoo at heart, but in Hertz's midsize category you can't do much better than this. I'd happily take one of these again.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; Jan 7, 2013 at 7:31 pm
Old Nov 16, 2012, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
One thing I wanted to add: a few weeks ago at the SLC airport I was offered a 2012 Cruze LTZ with 23,000 miles on it. Taking a look around it, it seemed very similar to the 2LT I had except it had all the bells and whistles of the top trim. This notably included the push-button start/stop system I didn't look for too long, though, when I saw a 3.0L V6-powered 2012 Ford Fusion SEL in Gold Choice, which I took instead (I had been hoping to get one of these since my less-than-stellar experience in an I4-powered variant last April). Looking back, I wish I went with the Cruze (ride report forthcoming!) I hope I get the opportunity to get a Cruze LTZ again though!

Confession: I actually saw an Impala LT first. I've been thinking about that damn V6 since August, and it only had 9,000 miles. I was all set to go (engine on, buckled in) when I noticed the leather and FlexFuel badge on the Fusion, and that's when I switched.

-J.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 6:11 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Currently driving a 2012 2LT, and agree with what you said. Great midsized car with surprisingly amount of pep in the engine, considering its size. I'm averaging 32 mpg with mix of highway, city, driving almost 80 on the highway, and a heavy foot. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed the unresponsive buttons. Sometimes I have to hit the seat heater button 3-4 times before it comes on. Overall I would say this is my favorite Midsize car, and I would take this over some of the full size cars (Avenger, older Altimas, Mazda6).
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:14 am

Awesome read Josh!

It took me about ten minutes to figure out where the USB port is (underneath the center console) but yeah I agree the seats felt cheap but I wouldn't necessarily compare it to a Daewoo....
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
It makes me wonder how well this car would manage in the winter here in Utah.
Well I had to choose between a Mazda3 (2011 or 2012, not sure), one of these, and a Corolla today, with a foot and a half of snow outside the door. Originally assigned the Mazda but chose this instead (identical to the RR except higher mileage and TX plates) since I was more familiar with it and there was less snow on it than the Mazda. Also, remote start -- asst. SM handed me the keys and said it's already on ^

I got stuck in the driveway pulling off the lot but other than that I haven't had any major issues with driving in the snow. Buttons still aren't very responsive, but the heated seats sure are nice (and strong). There were only two SUVs (Explorer and Yukon... SM was picking people up in a Tahoe) and they were all spoken for and were taken while dusting off the Cruze. SM told me on the way over he was begging the airport for more SUVs.

Some issues I have found: I noticed that the engine likes to "go" -- maybe it's an overexcited turbo, but when you step down (not even that hard) it wants to go faster so the wheels start spinning on the snow and the traction control takes over. Sort of annoying and I bet fuel economy will take a hit. Also, when the fan is on the first or second (of four) power level, it makes a clicking noise; probably just needs to be cleaned.

Other things to note: when the air is off and you're just driving, road noise is definitely noticeable -- but it's because the engine is SO quiet. I didn't realize originally how quiet this car was but it's really worth mentioning.

Like I said originally, you could do a LOT worse than this. I haven't driven the Focus (is that an ICAR?), Subaru Impreza (really rare though), Volvo C30, or VW Jetta yet, but so far this is without a doubt my favorite ICAR in the fleet.

-J.

Last edited by GW McLintock; May 8, 2014 at 2:32 am Reason: Add'l info
Old Sep 5, 2013, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Update!

I got another one of these (yes a 2012 2LT) yesterday... it was honestly the best thing available to me, and it had active XM too. In regards to it being quiet... yes at lower revs it is astonishingly quiet; when pushed past 4,000 RPM however you'd think the engine is larger than 1.4L. Maybe the one I had was just getting old (lol) -- this one had a bit over 27k miles on it. Still handles very nicely, even if the steering is a touch light. The seats are not as comfortable as I remembered; in fact they're quite hard.

I'm kind of disappointed since this used to be one of my favorite cars in the fleet, but after a 6-month slew of FCARs and larger, it just felt small and not exactly comfortable. Although the heated seats would be nice in the winter, the turbo-happy engine would not be ideal. I'll still argue that the Cruze is one of the better ICARs in the fleet, but I'd like to give the Elantra of all cars another shot (although that blue screen drove me nuts at night).

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.