Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

LAX - what to expect from Convertible (U)/STAR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*

Apologies if this has been covered in another thread - I couldn't find via a search. I'm taking my wife on a weekend beach getaway this Friday and reserved a convertible ("Chrysler 200 or similar") using rewards points - it's the U/STAR category - at LAX.

Anyone who's rented in this class - I would love to hear what kind of car you've received (and if you've been able to talk your way up to a better one if you didn't like what you were originally assigned).

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle; SPG Lifetime Platinum; Hilton Honors Diamond
I was at LAX lots, last month.

You will be relieved to hear that I did not see a single 200 Convertible (and nor there were any in PHX).

50/50 chance of a Camaro or a Mustang.

Apart form a few Merc SLKs and (now high mileage) E350 Convertibles, there are no other open topped models on fleet aside the Dream Collection cars. Hence, your chance of an upgrade is approximately the square root of nil, as there is nothing to upgrade you into (they will assume that if you booked a convertible, you want one).
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Red Scorpion. That's sort of what I was afraid of - I'm Camaro- and Mustang-averse and was hoping for the Chrysler.

Perhaps I can talk my way into a high-mileage E350.

Originally Posted by Red Scorpion
I was at LAX lots, last month.

You will be relieved to hear that I did not see a single 200 Convertible (and nor there were any in PHX).

50/50 chance of a Camaro or a Mustang.

Apart form a few Merc SLKs and (now high mileage) E350 Convertibles, there are no other open topped models on fleet aside the Dream Collection cars. Hence, your chance of an upgrade is approximately the square root of nil, as there is nothing to upgrade you into (they will assume that if you booked a convertible, you want one).
Old Oct 21, 2014, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by davesfolhr
I'm Camaro- and Mustang-averse and was hoping for the Chrysler.
I recognize these words but I don't understand what they mean.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 10:37 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, American Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents Circle
I just had a two day convertible rental at LAX. I had hoped for a Camaro due to the truck space. I was given a Mustang. It was a nice car. They did not have any Camaros available to rent out. They did not have any Chrysler 200s. I did see a Mercedes 350 CLK, but it was already rented by another customer.

I don't rent from LAX very often, so I don't know what kind of convertibles they typically have available. My overall experience with LAX was not negative, which seems to be unusual from what I have read via this forum.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Since this was a special occasion, and I want to hold on to the Hertz points I'd targeted at the convertible, I ended up just going with Silvercar. No convertible, but the A4 is nice. Thank you everyone for chiming in here, your thoughts are appreciated.

Originally Posted by NoVA guy
I just had a two day convertible rental at LAX. I had hoped for a Camaro due to the truck space. I was given a Mustang. It was a nice car. They did not have any Camaros available to rent out. They did not have any Chrysler 200s. I did see a Mercedes 350 CLK, but it was already rented by another customer.

I don't rent from LAX very often, so I don't know what kind of convertibles they typically have available. My overall experience with LAX was not negative, which seems to be unusual from what I have read via this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.