Search

CDP code (3rd party) and accident

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2012, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: ba
CDP code (3rd party) and accident

Hello,

I thought this question might be interesting for all of us who use borrowed CDP codes and which might clarify some of the potential risks.

I was wondering if people have experience or a view about the following:

If you use a CDP code, which is not yours, e.g. a third party one found somewhere online, whereby the CDW and Theft is included and you book a car with it.

What happens if you have an accident? Will the insurance company check if you are the owner of this code? What if your code becomes invalid, does the insurance become void? Any other views....

Thanks
Peter
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:49 am

Yes, Hertz will look to validate coverage and if you are eligible. Additionally, if you are found ineligible, your rental could be viewed as violating the terms and conditions of the contract, making the contract null. This would mean that coverages by your personal insurance could be more problematic along with secondary (or primary as applicable) coverage through a credit card. You could ultimately be left holding the bag on the entire damage claim.

I never understood why people use codes they clearly know the are not eligible for, it's a form of stealing and ethics are highly questionable.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 7:46 pm

Good luck Peter! Let us know what happens.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Perhaps one could argue that since the codes are available online, you didn't know that you were unauthorized to use them, and if you were, Hertz should've prevented you from doing so?
Old Mar 4, 2012, 9:51 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
Perhaps one could argue that since the codes are available online, you didn't know that you were unauthorized to use them, and if you were, Hertz should've prevented you from doing so?
Good luck with that.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Good luck with that.
What if that situation legitimately happens?

My father doesn't know anything about the internet, he's on the information super cul-de-sac. Yet, if one of his friends or if he stumbles across a code via a google search, how does he know that he's not authorized to use it?
Old Mar 5, 2012, 6:46 am

My father doesn't know anything about the internet, he's on the information super cul-de-sac. Yet, if one of his friends or if he stumbles across a code via a google search, how does he know that he's not authorized to use it?
Ignorance is bliss but it does not stand up in court.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: Hertz PC

That multi page contract you get says right on it something about this cdp is being used by an authriozed user of this account
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond

If you don't know that you are authorized to use it, it's probably best to assume you are not authorized to use it.

It's one thing if it's just getting you a low rate, there's not much risk there. But if you are basing your insurance decision on a rate you are not authorized to use to provide your insurance, if you get into an accident you will probably get what you deserve.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
If you don't know that you are authorized to use it, it's probably best to assume you are not authorized to use it.

It's one thing if it's just getting you a low rate, there's not much risk there. But if you are basing your insurance decision on a rate you are not authorized to use to provide your insurance, if you get into an accident you will probably get what you deserve.

I see what you're saying, that makes sense.

Another question I always wondered about is, what if you use a code you're not authorized to use and get a low rate, but pay for the LDW (at full price) without it being in conjuction with the CDP.

Would it still kick in if you were in an accident or since you weren't entitled to the code, the entire rental agreement (including LDW) becomes null/void?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 7:18 am

Ignorance is NOT a blis

Signed contract reads:

CDP ##### - You represent that you are specifically authorized to receive the benefits extended to employees/members of "COMPANY".

Therefore, you cannot say "I didn't know", and yes, you will get in big trouble!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 9:44 am

The AVIS T&C, which I assume EHI follows similarly, explicitly says that fraudulent use of coupon codes will result in actions to your detriment.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

It easy enough to call Hertz before a rental and ask whether a particular CDP code is available for use by the general public, or is restricted in some way.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: Hertz PC
Smile

Anybody that would like to use my CDP# 1863711 (HuntTran Inc.) I give permission to use. It will get you a 10 to 20% discount depending on location (no ldw or other insurance included with my CDP.) It will get me free day certs. (Every 8 days of rentals = 1 free day for me). So by all means use my CDP#
Old Apr 25, 2012, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by bhunt
Anybody that would like to use my CDP# 1863711 (HuntTran Inc.) I give permission to use. It will get you a 10 to 20% discount depending on location (no ldw or other insurance included with my CDP.) It will get me free day certs. (Every 8 days of rentals = 1 free day for me). So by all means use my CDP#
Might want to check that you giving out your CDP doesn't violate your contract with Hertz as there is a related comp back to you after so many uses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.