Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz Gold Choice [Now Available in Select Locations]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz Gold Choice [Now Available in Select Locations]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2011, 6:38 am

PHL reportedly started it yesterday. I was there on Sunday, and they had Gold Choice signage in the 2 dozen spaces closest to the Gold board - this is supposed to be the swap spots (but not officially started at that point). What they did have across the way were several cars with a big sticker on the windshield that said "Upgrade to me... $xx/day" or "Upgrade to me... ask for price!" with the Gold Choice logo next to it. That seems to be a good compromise (although asking $40/day for a Chevy Cruze LTZ is insane in my mind, when they had an Infiniti for $50/day).
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
EWR has it, same structure as discussed above. One row of cars (MB, Volvo, couple of convertibles) with stickers on them saying $50 upgrade fee. One row of cars that are the "free swap" options (an Impala and two Grand Marquis, no thanks!), and a guy out there with one of the handheld computers to handle transactions. I stuck with my "upgrade" (Mazda 5 minivan, honestly the best they had in stock).
Old Oct 6, 2011, 7:08 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
SLC was completing painting and striping of the 20 spots closest to the booth when I was there last weekend. No cars yet.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

LAS - Oct 1

Report from LAS October 1st.
Didn't see any obvious signage, had to ask at the desk where the Gold Choice area is. Gold desk attendant accompanied me to the lot since the person working the Gold Choice area was on break.
Gold Choice area is directly behind the sign board. Cars in the program are the ones backed into the stalls, not parked in forward like all the others. Left side were the free exchange vehicles. Saw a Malibu, Altima, Dodge Journey. Upgrade cars on the right side were Mercedes C300-$75, BMW 328i-$50, Infiniti G37 Sedan-$25, Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible-$15, Camaro Convertible-$ASK
Booked fullsize, received Ford Expedition. Decided to keep it.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 8:04 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Hertz Gold Choice (or - Hertz copies National)

Just saw this tweeted from @Hertz. Looks like Hertz is copying National in their choice model. Not yet available in all locations (BOS curiously missing)

http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/produc...nited%20States

Gold Choice
Freedom to Choose - the confidence of knowing your car will be ready and waiting for you, plus the freedom to choose something different on the spot at no extra charge. Now, Hertz #1Club Gold members get the best of both worlds.

Rent with Confidence
The car you reserved – or better – will be ready and waiting for you. Hertz pioneered pre-assigned car rental with Gold Service and nobody does it better.

Rent with Control
But now, if you reserve a midsize or higher class car, different models and colors are available at no extra cost. Just follow the signs to the Gold Choice area and pick the car you want.

Rent with speed
With Hertz Gold Choice, you always skip the counter and go straight to your car. And if you choose a Gold Choice alternative, you still go straight to the exit gate without wasting any time.

Now you have the freedom to choose. Take your assigned car or choose one from the Gold Choice area…at no extra cost.

How it Works

Do I have to pay for Gold Choice?
No. When you reserve a midsize car, you can switch to any comparable vehicle in the Gold Choice area at no extra cost. Specialty cars are available at clearly marked ‘per day’ additional charge in the Gold Choice Upgrade area. We also have dedicated personnel to assist with your rental or answer questions. If you don't see the car you are looking for they can help you find exactly what you are looking for.

What if I am a President’s Circle or Five Star Gold member?
President’s Circle members are automatically allocated a one car class upgrade from what they reserved, and Five Star members will be given an upgrade whenever available. But you can still select something from the Gold Choice area if you see something you prefer.

What if I am already eligible for an upgrade?
The car you reserved, or better, will be ready and waiting for you. Gold Choice gives you the extra freedom to pick something else if it suits your needs that day.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by AndDee
So this is bascially a way to sell more upgrades!
Only if you pay for them.

Because this is so clearly an attempt to emulate National's Emerald Aisle I plan to simply remind them that they can behave like National and give me free upgrades or I can choose to take my business there.

Five Star and President's Circle can even point out the status match benefits (better free upgrades).

It may turn out this actually strengthens our hand.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by spectrablue96
Report from LAS October 1st.
Didn't see any obvious signage, had to ask at the desk where the Gold Choice area is. Gold desk attendant accompanied me to the lot since the person working the Gold Choice area was on break.
Gold Choice area is directly behind the sign board. Cars in the program are the ones backed into the stalls, not parked in forward like all the others. Left side were the free exchange vehicles. Saw a Malibu, Altima, Dodge Journey. Upgrade cars on the right side were Mercedes C300-$75, BMW 328i-$50, Infiniti G37 Sedan-$25, Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible-$15, Camaro Convertible-$ASK
Booked fullsize, received Ford Expedition. Decided to keep it.
Thanks for the info. I just noticed this new "Gold Choice" thing on the Hertz website while making my reservation for LAS. I knew FT would have the 411 on it! ^

I'm taking my chances and booking an I ("midsize") and hopefully I'll be able to do a free exchange for something a bit bigger. Actually though, if the G37 is only +$25/day I'll just do that. The going rate is about $100/day on the days I want so that would still be a good 30-35% off by going this route.

This will be my first time renting out of LAS so I'm hoping for something good!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Wish I knew about this. Just completed 3 consecutive rentals in LAS. I got lucky for one of them, complained for the lack of USB port and received Buick LaCrosse. Originally booked economy.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 6:25 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
With this program can 5* and PC now self-upgrade? I'm not talking about an outrageous upgrade (like say from a midsize to a prestige) but since we're supposed to get upgrades (such as 1 car class for 5*) based on availability, if my space has a car which is not an upgrade but the "Gold Choice" area has cars which are a one-car class upgrade can I pick one of those and not get charged extra?

After all, I should have had the upgrade in my spot in the first place!
Old Oct 12, 2011, 7:14 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by dcstudent
With this program can 5* and PC now self-upgrade? I'm not talking about an outrageous upgrade (like say from a midsize to a prestige) but since we're supposed to get upgrades (such as 1 car class for 5*) based on availability, if my space has a car which is not an upgrade but the "Gold Choice" area has cars which are a one-car class upgrade can I pick one of those and not get charged extra?

After all, I should have had the upgrade in my spot in the first place!
Remember that the "one car class" that Hertz considers for upgrades include the invisible Y- classes. These are separate from the published car classes like Economy, Standard, and Full Size.

I booked a Compact one time and ended up in a plain ol' Versa. My knees wouldn't even fit under the steering wheel. When I went to the counter to get something bigger, the agent kindly informed me that the Versa was already an upgrade because it was classified as "YB" instead of just plain old "B." This had something to do with a premium sound system or leather steering wheel or some other obscure option.

I ended up paying up to a midsize and learned my lesson. Disregard all marketing Hertz pronounces about upgrades, as their system is designed to let them weasel out of it at any level. Gold Choice is designed to extract more money, not give you free upgrades.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by baliktad

I booked a Compact one time and ended up in a plain ol' Versa. My knees wouldn't even fit under the steering wheel. When I went to the counter to get something bigger, the agent kindly informed me that the Versa was already an upgrade because it was classified as "YB" instead of just plain old "B." This had something to do with a premium sound system or leather steering wheel or some other obscure option.
Well that won't work now that the compact is called 'Versa or similar'. If I booked a compact and they tried that with me, I would ask to see a Versa in the B class with fewer amenities. When they can't produce it, then say "I obviously booked into YB, I'd like my upgrade to a C please."
Old Oct 13, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by baliktad
Remember that the "one car class" that Hertz considers for upgrades include the invisible Y- classes. These are separate from the published car classes like Economy, Standard, and Full Size.

I ended up paying up to a midsize and learned my lesson. Disregard all marketing Hertz pronounces about upgrades, as their system is designed to let them weasel out of it at any level. Gold Choice is designed to extract more money, not give you free upgrades.
Yeah, I had a very unhelpful Gold agent tell me that the Impala LTZ my gf got was "technically an upgrade" as if we should be thanking her. I say she was unhelpful because they had a lot full of cars but everything was 'unavailable' and we asked to wait for a Camry (saw it was being cleaned) and she said there's going to be an upcharge.

I accidentally booked a B one time too and ended up with a Versa. I was somewhat alarmed when I noticed there was no remote attached to the key! I asked the guy what I booked and he said compact - I told him I thought I booked intermediate, and pleaded with him to find me something that at least had power windows and locks! He laughed and offered me a Mustang or Jeep, but we settled on an Impreza (YC) that I wanted to try. No upcharge either. All depends on availability and the counter rep you're talking to.

I've never been charged to go from X to YX, and can generally get away with going from an F to an SUV/van with no upcharge.

Last edited by TRD_808; Oct 20, 2011 at 4:05 am
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:04 pm

My ''upgrade'' at YYZ was from the fullsize Impala, to the fullsize malibu.... I asked the counter agent about upgrades and that is what I got as a answer... Malibu is an upgrade from the Impala sir. LOL

On the other hand my ''upgrades'' at YEG from impala or simmilar include :

Ford Taurus fully loaded one and a standard one
VW Routan
Ford Explorer
GM Suburban
GM Sierra (full bed and crew cab)
Mitsubishi RVR

Funny how some stations give you no love, and others will give you all the love in the world.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:24 am

The paint was drying on the aisle at MSP last night, so expect it up and running there shortly. After reading this thread though, it sounds like many of the upgrade vehicles that may have gone to PC/5* could wind up "stuck" in this aisle for upgrade fees, possibly lessening the upgrades available to 5*. Also now we have to walk an extra row to our cars
Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:36 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tbassny
After reading this thread though, it sounds like many of the upgrade vehicles that may have gone to PC/5* could wind up "stuck" in this aisle for upgrade fees, possibly lessening the upgrades available to 5*. Also now we have to walk an extra row to our cars
Of course this is simply that!

It's not to keep loyal customers happy, it's just to make more money from upgrading customers.

Instead of having to do the "hard sell" at the counter, you get the occasionally renter that sees a nice looking car, which is better than what they booked, so they flog it off to them and make extra $$$

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.