Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz 24/7 (was Hertz on Demand (was Hertz Connect))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz 24/7 (was Hertz on Demand (was Hertz Connect))

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Hertz President's Circle, AVIS First
Question for all your HOD users, I have a 6am flight at LGA and I live on the UES. Is it worth taking a chance to reserve a HOD knowing that they may change the location of the pickup at the last minute? I don't see any benefits using HOD knowing all the hiccups that I have read from this posting thread.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:00 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Only benefit I can see is a slightly cheaper rate for HOD ($20) and some ZE1 points if you want them vs. taking a cab.

A cab will take you right to curbside whereas you have to factor in time to pick up and drop off the car. If I had luggage or if it was raining/snowing, I think a cab would win. Otherwise, it's a toss-up for me.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
You can always grab a cab if HOD doesn't come through for you. I haven't had any problems cancellation reservations when HOD changes them on me last minute. But if you're flying out of the us air terminal, the shuttle could take a few extra minutes to get to since it's on the opposite side of the airport from the hertz location.

Rented a Volvo XC60 T6 R-design today from the 68th st location. It had 325hp and was by far the best equipped rental car I've ever driven: top of the line trim and engine, navigation, panoramic sunroof, and all of Volvo's safety gadgets. Only downside was that the last renter left it pretty dirty and it had a very strong air fresher smell.

Nice to see a well equipped car after driving base model Fiestas and fiat 500's on my previous rentals.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Something I found out last night. My flight had landed about 20 minutes before the pilot had said in his initial announcement. However, I had already gotten the text from HOD about my vehicle. Since the text was already sent, the reservation could not be moved up. No big deal per se, had to hang out in the Hertz facility at LGA for 15 minutes.

Another somewhat hassle is that the guy at the garage on 14th street jumps into the vehicle and starts its immediately and that is restarting the reservation. So then I need to call HOD and have them terminate the reservation from there. Just a note to anyone leaving the car off at a garage versus an airport location. If you do not get the email confirming the reservation ended within 15 minutes call HOD immediately.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 7:56 am

Was there a new and dedicated parking area at LGA for the HOD cars?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
I saw that there's a "Business Account" tab on the HoD website but I didn't notice any details or descriptions.

Does that mean HoD rentals earn BAP credits?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond, AC 50K
Originally Posted by turbov6
The sign up process for On Demand is easier if you already have a Gold Plus Rewards membership. Just enter your name, Gold Rewards number and cell phone, that's it. Don't forget to enter promo code ZEWEB25 for a $25 credit.

http://www.hertzondemand.com/goldenroll
Just a quick follow-up for anyone looking to sign up as the Gold Enrollment process appears to be broken. It was supposed to be faster for Gold members however it appears to be adding in a lot of overhead by being sent to the Gold rewards department first and possibly being lost along the way.

Your best bet is to enroll directly using the "Join" link on the HertzOnDemand.com webpage. There is a spot in the application you can still enter your Gold number to collect points. After you complete your application here you will receive an email confirmation.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Have HoD rates recently risen?

I did my 1st HoD rental in NYC, at the end of March. At that time, all the cars were @$7/hr and I booked a Mercedes 300 for a midweek 6.75 hr rental@$7/hr.

Thinking those were great prices, I did some future dummy searches and got similar rates for a variety of midweek dates. iirc, the prices were higher, maybe even double on the weekends.

Today I looked to do a similar midweek rental & most cars are over $12/hr (Malibu or Sentra) and the Mercedes is @$16/hr. Only very small cars like the Fiat or Fiesta now cost @$7/hr.

Did I just happen to book during a glitch or have prices risen overall in the past month?

Has anyone else experienced wide or weird pricing?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:47 am

$7/hr for a Mercedes sounds insanely cheap. Perhaps there was some sort of promo running at the time you did those searches?

I've only really used HoD on weekends, but the rates are more typically in the $15+/hr range on weekends except for tiny cars like Smart and Fiat.
Old May 23, 2012, 5:24 am

I haven't been able to rent yet. Can someone give me an idea what the total cost will be for a one hour rental.
Old May 23, 2012, 6:08 am

Depends on the market. You can use the website to do a "dummy" booking for the location(s) you are interested in to get an estimate of the hourly rate.
Old May 23, 2012, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Depends on the market. You can use the website to do a "dummy" booking for the location(s) you are interested in to get an estimate of the hourly rate.
Hertz doesn't provide any booking information if a person is not a subscriber. It would be nice to know what I'm getting into before committing my time and information to Hertz. What are the fees for an airport pickup?
Old May 24, 2012, 4:52 am

Give me an example of where you are interested in renting and I will do a dummy booking for you. If you are interesting in an airport rental, I assume you would want a one-way. In NYC my one hour FROM the airport are about $1 more than the ones TO.
Old May 24, 2012, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Give me an example of where you are interested in renting and I will do a dummy booking for you. If you are interesting in an airport rental, I assume you would want a one-way. In NYC my one hour FROM the airport are about $1 more than the ones TO.
Ewr to the New York City.
Old May 24, 2012, 7:08 am

About $28 for a random Sunday in June; about $26 for a random Wednesday in June.

You would also need to pay the toll to cross the Hudson River into NYC (ether via PlatePass or cash) and the toll if you take the NJ Turnpike (which can be avoided by taking Hwy 1-9 to the Pulaski Skyway).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.