Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hertz 24/7 (was Hertz on Demand (was Hertz Connect))

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hertz 24/7 (was Hertz on Demand (was Hertz Connect))

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by vballny23
oh sweet, thanks for the link to that. i didn't know about that.

the rates aren't so good though. i click on quote and the best quote for a friday noon time ride from manhattan to LGA is at least $100.

edit: n/m, i see where it says the quoted rate is at least $99 and only charged that if you take more than 2.5 hrs to get to the airport. man, hertz is not so good at producing data that's easily consumed at a glance. some may say that's a user error, but oh well.

Last edited by barely_flying; Aug 29, 2011 at 12:17 pm
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by wcj1
I do not understand this. What is the problem exactly? I was going to book one-ways from LGA via Demand and was able to pull them up, but then I decided to do something different. They are bookable, although the website is clunky when it comes to those.
the problem is FROM LGA it's easy. it's drop off at LGA that was the issue.

I feel like it's now a supply issue since I just tried it for the same time, and now it's like $20 for 1 hr, whereas last week it wasn't even available.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:40 pm

Ok so I got the link to work but only by searching for it through Google and visiting a cached version. It uses rate code HRLYA.

If I select from Downtown to JFK it works but it gives me an estimated cost of $225 USD.

However I want to use this to get FROM JFK *to* Downtown. Says its invalid.

I guess they don't offer this deal for drives the other way round? Seems odd, I mean presumably they want cars brought back as well?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 6:45 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I have a few trips coming up so I thought I would poke around both the Hertz and On Demand sites for some rates.

For JFK into Manhattan next Friday night, I found a daily rate on Hertz for an Economy car that was about $60, all-in (AAA CDP). That's about how much I would pay for a cab; my only challenge will be to find a parking space overnight, but I can also park it for $14 at the Hertz near us. We also have some errands to run in New Jersey the next day so that's a plus. The On Demand rate was much more.

What is tempting is the sub-$20 hourly On Demand rates from Manhattan to the airport for some of my trips with early morning departures or late night arrivals (when the regular Hertz locations are closed). In those cases, I wouldn't do the subway/bus to the airports and the price is less than what I would pay for a cab.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 30, 2011 at 9:14 pm
Old Aug 30, 2011, 7:08 pm

Or you could do the Manhattan airport shuttle rate, pickup from EWR or LGA on Thursday night, return to Manhattan within 24 hours. Rates start at $20 plus tax for an economy car, $24 plus tax for a fullsize, with the AAA CDP. No coupon is necessary. The reverse is pick up from Manhattan on Sunday night or Monday morning, return to EWR, LGA, or JFK within 24 hours.
Old Sep 2, 2011, 12:15 pm
Company Representative, CashSwap

Programs: Hertz, Avis, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, United, JetBlue
The folks over at Hertz on Demand saw this thread and asked me to post the following for them.
- Mike

Hertz On Demand does offer One-Way rentals to/from all three NYC airports, JFK, Newark, and Laguardia, as well as Manhattan and Hoboken. Prices start at $14/hr. Unlike the standard Hertz rental rates, this includes gas, insurance, up to 180 miles per 24 hour period, and NeverLost to help you get there. Taxes and fees do vary at each of the airports.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by mmcdowell
Hertz On Demand does offer One-Way rentals to/from all three NYC airports, JFK, Newark, and Laguardia, as well as Manhattan and Hoboken. Prices start at $14/hr. Unlike the standard Hertz rental rates, this includes gas, insurance, up to 180 miles per 24 hour period, and NeverLost to help you get there. Taxes and fees do vary at each of the airports.
So why am I offered a rate of $225 if I wish to book a car from JFK to Downtown for 2 hours?

For context, thats more than the entire cost, inc drop fee, of my Hertz LCAR rental from Downtown NYC to Downtown DC a few days later!
Old Sep 5, 2011, 7:04 am

I noticed that, too. In several markets, Hertz has raised their one-way rates to above $200/day plus tax, with the AAA CDP, for an economy car. I don't know why this is happening.

Maybe Hertz is trying to compete with National, by raising many one-way prices. National's rack rates for many one-ways start at $195/day plus tax.

But some things may not show up in competitor rate checking software: There is a 15% generic Emerald Club discount for retail customers. The final price is $146/day plus tax for a compact, and there's usually a free upgrade coupon to midsize on National's website.

Before the recent Hertz rate increases, a AAA Hertz rate of, say, $160/day plus tax, might have seemed much cheaper than National. But even then, looking further would have shown that is not necessarily the case.

I sure hope I guessed wrong. Retail paid one-ways have traditionally been one of Hertz's strongest points. If Hertz prices become equal to or even higher than National, and National more easily gives away free days, more customers will leave.

Last edited by Auto Enthusiast; Sep 5, 2011 at 7:17 am
Old Sep 6, 2011, 11:40 am
Company Representative, CashSwap

Programs: Hertz, Avis, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, United, JetBlue
Originally Posted by Foxtbh
So why am I offered a rate of $225 if I wish to book a car from JFK to Downtown for 2 hours?

For context, thats more than the entire cost, inc drop fee, of my Hertz LCAR rental from Downtown NYC to Downtown DC a few days later!
Are you comparing a Hertz on Demand rate quote or a regular Hertz Rent-a-Car rate quote. It sounds like it's regular Hertz you're looking at.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:26 pm

It's probably a regular rate, but why is it so much?
Old Sep 6, 2011, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
HOD confusion

Mr. or Ms. MMcdowell:

I received an email solicitation (with a $25.00 free usage teaser) from HOD. I filled out the information and submitted it on August 16, 2011. There was no room for me to put my Gold account #. The response indicated I would hear from them in a few days.

Three weeks have passed and no response whatsoever. Today, September 6, 2011, I called Hertz Gold. Of course, they could not help and switched me over to HOD. The very helpful agent showed that "they are still working on it."

Yes, I would like to use this service but I am mystified that I am unable to do so as whatever needs to be verified is not yet done. Of course, all of the information that they need it available through my Gold account.

I am sure this makes sense to someone but in this economy, when people are begging for jobs that pay $8.00 an hour, I cannot understand why it is taking so long.

I guess I will just stick w/the companies I now use.

End of rant!
Old Sep 8, 2011, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by mmcdowell
Are you comparing a Hertz on Demand rate quote or a regular Hertz Rent-a-Car rate quote. It sounds like it's regular Hertz you're looking at.
Just realised it's a regular rate (Though I still dont get why it's more to One Way for 2 hours from JFK to Downtown in a Mid Size than I've paid to One Way for 24 hours from Downtown to Washington DC in a Luxury 2 days later), but although I signed up for Hertz On Demand I never got 'authorised'.

Probably because my billing address is incorrect - which I had no choice but to do because it wouldnt let me proceed without entering my State even after selecting country of residence as United Kingdom.
Old Sep 8, 2011, 11:19 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I applied for Hertz On Demand over two weeks ago. It was much better than Zipcar with no annual fee and airport one way rentals. I have not heard back and there is no place that I can see on the website to check the status of my application.

My last speeding ticket (moving violation) was way back in 1995 so my driving record should not be an issue. Even though AFIAK the application had no request for a credit check, my credit is fine so that should not be an issue. Any idea of what could be holding it up?
Old Sep 8, 2011, 12:51 pm

Just realised it's a regular rate (Though I still dont get why it's more to One Way for 2 hours from JFK to Downtown in a Mid Size than I've paid to One Way for 24 hours from Downtown to Washington DC in a Luxury 2 days later)

Be careful what you wish for.
Old Sep 11, 2011, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
HOD delays

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I applied for Hertz On Demand over two weeks ago. It was much better than Zipcar with no annual fee and airport one way rentals. I have not heard back and there is no place that I can see on the website to check the status of my application.

My last speeding ticket (moving violation) was way back in 1995 so my driving record should not be an issue. Even though AFIAK the application had no request for a credit check, my credit is fine so that should not be an issue. Any idea of what could be holding it up?
On Friday, 9.9.11, I received the following email:
"You have been approved as a Hertz On Demand Member. Your Hertz On Demand vehicle entry device should arrive in the mail shortly. Once received, you will be able to reserve vehicles online and get on the road."

As of yesterday's snail mail, I have not yet received the "device."

Mr. McDowell very kindly offered assistance but I had already received the email.

I will keep you posted. Good luck on your endeavor. Are there HOD parking lots in Brooklyn? I have yet to find out where they are in NYC or the rates but, hopefully, all will be revealed when I receive the "device."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.