Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tampa

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2010, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Tampa

I'm heading out to Tampa at the end of the month for 12 days and have been quoted £297 ($470) for an LCAR - Cadillac STS. This seems a pretty good idea and with #1 Gold can rock up and drive off.
Separately I've also been offered a Convertible (Mustang) through Thrifty TPA for £205 ($324), again good value but different kind of car.

Two questions to anyone who has experience renting at Tampa:

With Hertz my preferred choice, will I likely end up with an STS or is more likely to be a Town Car?
Has anyone rented from Thrifty (TPA) and are they worth the risk, as they don't seem to have a good name verse Hertz?

Cheers!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA GGL/CCR, AMEX Cent, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Tit, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hampshireflyer
I'm heading out to Tampa at the end of the month for 12 days and have been quoted £297 ($470) for an LCAR - Cadillac STS. This seems a pretty good idea and with #1 Gold can rock up and drive off.
Separately I've also been offered a Convertible (Mustang) through Thrifty TPA for £205 ($324), again good value but different kind of car.

With Hertz my preferred choice, will I likely end up with an STS or is more likely to be a Town Car?
Has anyone rented from Thrifty (TPA) and are they worth the risk, as they don't seem to have a good name verse Hertz?

Cheers!
Probably be a DTS actually, it's the same price as an STS to buy but there are a few differences. DTS is front wheel drive as oppose to the STS rear wheel drive, DTS is a little longer with a cavernous boot. Some people prefer the design of the STS but all in all nothing too major. I just had a DTS (was hoping for an STS too) and though it developed a little mechanical bug it was a more than adequate car, pretty comfortable and easy to drive

I would call up Tampa and ask if it would be possible for you to get your STS or at the very least a DTS. Other options are a Town Car and a Grand Marquis I believe. Call up the day before your rental is due to begin and have a word, I've found Hertz Tampa to be extremely helpful in this regard

As for Thrifty, I've never heard the best about them. I stick with Hertz and pay a little extra for the customer service, as you may see in the other thread I started recently.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 10:32 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC

Cheers!
Tampa is an awful location in my experience. Since you're reserving a luxury car, you probably have less to worry about upgrade-wise, but last time I rented there (which has admittedly been a while after two bad experiences) they did not have true #1 Club Gold service where you could walk up and drive off.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Originally Posted by sajgidda
Probably be a DTS actually, it's the same price as an STS to buy but there are a few differences. DTS is front wheel drive as oppose to the STS rear wheel drive, DTS is a little longer with a cavernous boot. Some people prefer the design of the STS but all in all nothing too major. I just had a DTS (was hoping for an STS too) and though it developed a little mechanical bug it was a more than adequate car, pretty comfortable and easy to drive

I would call up Tampa and ask if it would be possible for you to get your STS or at the very least a DTS. Other options are a Town Car and a Grand Marquis I believe. Call up the day before your rental is due to begin and have a word, I've found Hertz Tampa to be extremely helpful in this regard

As for Thrifty, I've never heard the best about them. I stick with Hertz and pay a little extra for the customer service, as you may see in the other thread I started recently.
WOW $424 for 12 days all in, jump on it! I pretty frequently rent Lcars 1-way from tampa and have usually had good experiences, the worst i can say about them as it took slightly long at the gold counter.

Hertzs fleet is probably 60-70% DTS & Towncar and the other is pretty evenly split between STS (both 6 and 8cyl models) and CTS (usually stripped down though).

I usually call and speak with the station manager ( a gentleman whos name slips my mind this second, sorry) and he usually makes sure they get me what I want if its in or gives me choices of what they have and makes sure its EXTRA clean. Call the day before or so, and let them know youre coming in and would prefer ____. Since youre paying for what you asking it should be pretty easy to get.

For the bottom line i find a town car much more fun then a 6 cyl mustang (yes you can make the back end slide on a town car )
Old Oct 13, 2010, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Alas was too late. Gone to book this morning and the rates have jumped phenomenally, as the rate quoted yesterday has sold out (my own fault for waiting). The LCAR is now $1192.50 and a STAR Mustang convertible is $590. Rang Hertz reservations and nothing can do.

In this instance the STAR Mustang convertible with Thrifty ($324) looks like the most sensible choice, rather then paying an additional $250 for the same car from Hertz even with with the superior Hertz customer service.
Old Oct 13, 2010, 1:28 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents Circle, National EE, Lots of Stupid CCs&The I Am Crazy Enough To Actually Pay For F
Alas was too late. Gone to book this morning and the rates have jumped phenomenally, as the rate quoted yesterday has sold out (my own fault for waiting). The LCAR is now $1192.50 and a STAR Mustang convertible is $590. Rang Hertz reservations and nothing can do.

In this instance the STAR Mustang convertible with Thrifty ($324) looks like the most sensible choice, rather then paying an additional $250 for the same car from Hertz even with with the superior Hertz customer service.
no good! for future reference you can always cancel your Hertz Reservation ahead of time with no charge.

and with such a large gap you might as well just get the mustang from thrifty.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 9:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, SPG Plat, Hertz FiveStar
I just picked up a car here. They upgraded me to a Yukon from the Intermediate I was supposed to get. They now have a #1 Gold Club kiosk inside of the parking garage, which is new from the last time I was here (about 1.5 mo ago). I asked why they didn't have a board and they said the airport wouldn't let them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.