Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page >

Absurd cancellation clause, and no way to fix

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2010, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))

I'm arriving at 11:46 pm to pick up a prepaid Hertz rental at EWR, in June. Hertz doesn't do midnight, because no one can keep dates straight, and the flight often gets in early, so I went with before midnight, and provided my flight information.

The cancellation clause includes (my emphasis):

If The Customer Does Not Cancel The Reservation Prior To The Time Of Pick-Up And The Rental Vehicle Is Not Picked Up On The Rental Date, The Entire Prepaid Amount Will Be Forfeited.
Now, I have absolutely no doubt that they will hold my car if I arrive after midnight. That's NOT my point.

I have tried to get Hertz to fix this clause. It is absolutely fuggin' idiotic, and not what they intend. One should write exactly what one intends in the fine print, if one ever hopes to enforce any of the fine print, ever.

What distresses and amuses me is that Hertz is absolutely incapable of absorbing the feedback that whoever paid this incompetent lawyer needs to read their work.

Does anyone here understand the fine art of reaching someone at Hertz with two brain cells to rub together? Or should I post a modest bounty, to be paid to the first claimant if I can verify that the clause changed?
Old May 18, 2010, 8:19 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I don't know, I think it's only worth making an issue of if you were to show up at 12:02 and they told you sorry, no car, but we kept your money, you are a day late.

Otherwise I'm sure they see it as a total non issue.

Yes it makes no sense for those rentals right around midnight, but at the same time, I can't ever picture them enforcing it if your flight information is in the system and your flight is delayed a bit.

Of course, if your flight is delayed hours that's a totally different situtation, but that's the risk of prepaid anything in travel.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:53 am

I think you're probably going to give yourself more headaches trying to resolve a generalized statement in the contract that is also superceded and mirrored by other contract verbiage about delayed pick-ups and grace periods.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.