Wiki Posts
Search

The Bus

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Gold, Hilton Gold, Holiday Inn Gold
The Bus

Going to be in Hawaii for 1 week in November.

Any tips/tricks dos/dont's about using the bus to get around?
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by kennynbabes
Any tips/tricks dos/dont's about using the bus to get around?
If you're going to be riding it 10 times or more in a span of 4 days, get the visitor pass ($20 for 4 days unlimited on/off). Otherwise, it's a good network on the weekdays. Weekends, the schedule for non-Waikiki buses can be pretty infrequent. Note the luggage restrictions if you're taking TheBus from the airport to Waikiki ( http://www.thebus.org/CS/RulesReg.asp ) . Finally, rely on the Google Maps app for the next bus on TheBus' website for planning purposes.

http://www.thebus.org/default.asp
Old Oct 30, 2008, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you.

Did find their web sites and schedules.

Was going to take a shuttle (staying at the Hilton Waikiki Prince Kuhio in Wakiki) to/from the airport just because of the baggage restrictions.

Get in at 2 pm on Tuesday the 11th and leave Tues the 18th @ 10 pm.

Do you suggest anything that might not be in the tourist guides to do while there?

I notice there is a Surfing competition on the North Shore while we are there.

Do you know where the Minor league baseball is played?

http://www.hawaiiwinterbaseball.com
Old Oct 30, 2008, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Do you know where the Minor league baseball is played?

http://www.hawaiiwinterbaseball.com
They're split between Hans L'Orange and Les Murakami Stadium at University of Hawaii-Manoa. The easier one to get to is Les Murakami via Bus (#4). Hans is over in Waipahu and is quite a distance away from Waikiki via TheBus.
Old Oct 30, 2008, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Buy a Bus map/schedule at an ABC store. It has detailed info on what bus number to take and where the buses stop. It's a handy size to carry with you and easy to understand. Was worth it the first time I discovered that where I thought I could get on a bus wasn't where it actually stopped.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 5:30 am
Original Poster

thank you linsj

I plan to. along with a case of water, diet coke, and beer.

I have quite a collection of transit maps.

Stockholm
Amsterdam
Munich
NYC
Boston
Milwaukee
Montpelier
St. Etienne
Roosendaal
Portland
Dublin

Cleveland of course

be happy to add Oahu to the list :-)
Old Oct 31, 2008, 9:03 am

I know this has been said often, but ...

I'm aware that lots of folks use TheBus for their entire stay on Oahu. The added expense of a rental with parking fees plus the quality of the bus system certainly makes it understandable. I just hope you will consider renting a car for at least 2-3 days to explore Windward and North Shore beaches and attractions. On the circle island route, you lose hours of valuable vacation time getting places and waiting on the next scheduled bus. Plus, there are places you simply can't get to by bus (Pali Overlook, Manoa Falls, plenty of others).

That said, we've always rented a car for the duration of our stay (preferring beaches outside Waikiki) and still wind up using TheBus a few times to get from one end of Waikiki to another.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:08 am
Original Poster

car

We do plan on renting a car for at least 1 day, maybe 2 and seeing some sights.

there is the Vans Surf competition on the North Shore while we are there, we are planning on going to that.

And hiking Diamond Head.
and going to the swap meet at the university.
and the beach...lots of the beach.

Our biggest question at this point is do we get on a plane to visit one of the other islands for a day.

If anyone has any suggestions for off the beaten path type stuff we will be happy to entertain them. Anything that isn't "touristy" that we should do? or should we just stick to being tourists?
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

And hiking Diamond Head.
and going to the swap meet at the university.
and the beach...lots of the beach.
Couple of points... When are you going in November? Diamond Head is currently closed for trail maintenance. So check to make sure it's opened up by the time you arrive here. Also the swap meet is at Aloha Stadium, not the university. Aloha Stadium is where all the university football games are played but the two are 8 miles apart.
Old Oct 31, 2008, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

From what I understand the final leg of the diamond head trial is closed.

Is it the entire trail? no way to get in and check out diamond head at all?

Nov 11-18
Old Oct 31, 2008, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From what I understand the final leg of the diamond head trial is closed.

Is it the entire trail? no way to get in and check out diamond head at all?

Nov 11-18
Even if only the final leg were closed, you'd be missing out on the best part of the trail: the lookout. The visitor center inside the crater will remain open while the work is done BUT the tunnel leading into the crater will be closed Nov 13-20, meaning the entire park is closed during that time.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...AKINGNEWSFRONT

Unless you really like being inside volcano craters, I think your time would be much better spent elsewhere (e.g., Hanauma Bay, which used to be a volcanic crater).
Old Oct 31, 2008, 7:28 pm

TheBus does have a good, free system map, but is is hard to find. Individual route maps/schedules can be found at the McDonalds at 2476 Kalakaua Avenue. (At the corner, down the street toward the ocean from your hotel) Your hotel is a good location for buses going toward town (especially via Ala Moana) since they sometimes fill up and pass stops closer to Ala Moana (shopping) Center. If you are going to Chinatown, etc. the 2, 13 or B express (which doesn't stop at all stops)are faster than those going via Ala Moana. Exact change is required if you don't get a pass. Ask for transfers when boarding. Sit back a few seats, since the bench seats are often folded up to accommodate wheel chairs. When exiting the rear press the verticle bar or yellow strip. Hold the bar until you are clear of the door or it will shut on you.

Best prices for Beer, soda, etc ON Waikiki are at the Food Pantry, 2370 Kuhio Ave. Long's and Foodland at Ala Moana are often better. Foodland also has an excellent fried chicken breast and sour dough bread. Of course the Ala Moana food court is great. A lesser food court is in the International Market Place on Waikiki. Chinatown has cheap fruit and take homes.

Hotel tours are very good:Westin (formerly Sheraton) Moana Surfrider, Royal Hawaiian, & Sheraton Princess Kaiulani, check for times. At the Moana tour be sure to ask Tony about the murder of Stanford's widow. The Princess has a good buffet with Hawaiian and contemporary entertainment. Check the menus for your preferred day. A scenic bus ride is the 58 out to Sea World and 22 back (the Hanauma Bay bus which doesn't run on Tue,) sit right side out and left side back. I'm sure your guide book will list the US Army Museum in Waikiki which is interesting. Aloha!.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.