What was your shortest flying time from SFO-Hawaii and return?

Subscribe
I was wondering what was your shortest flying time to Hawaii from the SF Bay Area. I know the block is 5:20 minutes but I was wondering if you ever made it in 4:50 minutes?

As for the return flight the block in 4:45 minutes have you ever made it an hour early? Or even in 3:45 minutes? What was the quickest flying time on a passenger jet 757 or 777 to make it from SFO-Hawaii and Hawaii-SFO?
Please discuss this topic in the FT Hawaii Forum.(Travel & Dining>United States>Hawaii).
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Quote: I was wondering what was your shortest flying time to Hawaii from the SF Bay Area. I know the block is 5:20 minutes but I was wondering if you ever made it in 4:50 minutes?

As for the return flight the block in 4:45 minutes have you ever made it an hour early? Or even in 3:45 minutes? What was the quickest flying time on a passenger jet 757 or 777 to make it from SFO-Hawaii and Hawaii-SFO?
I had a home on Maui for several years. Flew to and from LAX. IIRC, the shortest flight from (either HNL or OGG..can't remember) was about 4:10. Don't think we ever did this route under 4 hours.
Quote: I had a home on Maui for several years. Flew to and from LAX. IIRC, the shortest flight from (either HNL or OGG..can't remember) was about 4:10. Don't think we ever did this route under 4 hours.
Yes, of course. I have been flown on HA from PHX-HNL nonstop is more than 6 hours in-flight. Once I am returns home from HNL-PHX is 5 hours 40 minutes in-flight. It was bit more longer flights by crossing the pacific ocean. Its absolutely is good emotions where we are taking nonstop on Hawaiian Air instead of one-stop in LAX or SFO.
I know I've been on flights overflying SFO that have taken less than 4:30 hours (based on the in-flight air map). Always during the winter of course when the jet stream is kicking. I think that particular flight was HNL-MSP in under 7 hours (might have been 6:30).

Never had a SFO flight take under 4:30.

Any particular reason for this question?
Quote: I was wondering what was your shortest flying time to Hawaii from the SF Bay Area. I know the block is 5:20 minutes but I was wondering if you ever made it in 4:50 minutes?

Ran into my friend who flew for Aloha on the ramp in KOA one day. I'd come in on a long SNA-KOA flight due to the winds. He was flying the plane back to SNA that afternoon. He called me when he got to SNA and told me his KOA-SNA trip took 3:45.
It was the late 70's or early 80's when we flew ITO-LAX on UA DC-10 in 3:40. Back then UA typically served the meal, then started the movie. They started the movie while we were still eating our sundaes. Then they had to shut the movie off and stow the screens because we were landing.
I have had couple of HNL-SFO at a shade under 4 hours flying time over the years.
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...659Z/KSFO/PHNL

looks like a 3:46 flight. Feb 13 must have had some incredible winds aloft that day.
We flew HNL to SFO about 5 years back in 3:40 something. There was a 280 mph ( or knot, not sure which) tail wind and at one point our groud speed was 780 knots (so over 800mph, faster than the speed of sound)
Quote: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...659Z/KSFO/PHNL

looks like a 3:46 flight. Feb 13 must have had some incredible winds aloft that day.
When you see 200mph plus tailwind you know you're in business!

BTW, I hate HNL-mainland night flights that are too short. Just as with TATL, there is no tie for restful sleep.