Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question re Prince Hotel Waikiki

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2023, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Question re Prince Hotel Waikiki

We are considering staying at the Prince for six nights. Goal of the vacation is to lie around and relax. We have seen Hawaii multiple times and aren't too interested in sightseeing, just go to the beach, lie by the pool, go out for dinner, etc. The Prince looks nice but it seems to be an awkward location as far as walking to the beach, restaurants etc. Obviously a quick Uber ride to anywhere in Waikiki but it is nice to go out and walk to places nearby. If anyone who has stayed here can comment it would be appreciated.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I haven't stayed there for many many years, but loved the hotel. Nicer than most anything in the heart of Waikiki, but if you want to go to the beach, the location isn't ideal. I've never been to Ala Moana Beach, so I have no idea how nice or not nice it may be to hang out. If you want to relax at the pool, it is a better option than all of the overcrowded Waikiki properties. Probably a 20 minute walk to the Royal Hawaiian, so a pleasant walk to anywhere for dinner. All that said, it gives you an excuse to go other non-Waikiki places for Honolulu's better food, and it is quite convenient to the Ala Moana Shopping Center.

I'd not hesitate to stay there again if I want to be off, but not too far off, the beaten tourist path.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks
Old Dec 1, 2023, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed there and ended up buying beach chairs from an ABC store walking to the beach in front of the Hilton every day, basically the widest part of Waikiki beach. It wasn't too bad of a walk and I remember the hotel being a nice hotel. This was probably 15 years ago though so I'm not sure how it is now. I did enjoy the proximity to the Chart House restaurant which is one of my favorite places to go eat in Honolulu.

I discovered the Royal Hawaiian on a subsequent stay in Honolulu and now my partner wont let me stay anywhere else....
Old Dec 1, 2023, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Yes I am down to Royal Hawaiian vs. Prince as the finalists in my choice of hotel
Old Dec 1, 2023, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by trilinearmipmap
Yes I am down to Royal Hawaiian vs. Prince as the finalists in my choice of hotel
IM(nsh)O, RH is a perfectly pleasant property, in a historically significant and beautiful structure, but not a true luxury property. I didn't catch if you had any Marriott status, but my early 2023 RH stay resulted in a standard first floor room and a handful of welcome pastries as a Titanium.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 9:58 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Ala Moana beach is mostly used by local Hawaiians. (in fact, in the old days tourists were cautioned not to go there after dark)
Hilton beach is tourists, including lots of military families from Hale Koa, a military operated hotel.
Hilton beach sand is more coarse than the sand in front of the Royal Hawaiian. (unless conditions have changed lately)
The Prince hotel used to have the most memorable showers we have ever experienced -- massive waterfall shower water. Don't know if these have survived the eras of water shortages.
Prince hotel has Katsumidon Sushi restaurant with great Japanese food. Reservations are a must. Also, Ala Moana shopping center is a 10 minute, albeit hot and ugly, walk away.
Royal Hawaiian hotel is in the heart of Waikiki with all its restaurants and high end shopping.
I would choose the Royal Hawaiian, especially if this is your first trip to the islands.

Last edited by dlaue; Dec 1, 2023 at 10:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.