Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "F/C/J Class to/from Hawai`i - questions, suggestions, options" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "F/C/J Class to/from Hawai`i - questions, suggestions, options" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think the advantage for UPREV on CO goes to Elites who call 24 hours in advance. The LAX/HNL/LAX route is kind of a 'nonrev express' in BF - so waiting until you get to the gate or day of departure makes the chance of success less likely as it's possible the unsold seats have been claimed by nonrevs. For years, I have noticed a 'buddy-buddy' relationship in place between CO's LAX ground staff and commuting FAs and other employees - a relationship I have not seen at other hubs or stations.

The IAH/EWR<<-->>HNL routes are usually sold out (revenue and award) in advance, so I think an UPREV on these flights would be a challenge even at the 24hour mark unless it's midweek. For example, the BF cabin was wide open on CO14 10/20, but had been sold out on 10/21 for many days before departure and every seat that popped open due to someone's schedule change was quickly snatched up.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 6:08 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver
Cool First Time, First Class to Hawaii - One Way [Merged Threads from Various Forums]

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice as I'm completely unaware of first class fares, specifically from San Diego to Honolulu, March 16, 2008. My family is going on a cruise in March of next year, leaving from Honolulu, and we really want to fly first class to start our vacation off right. It's our 15th wedding anniversary next year, so what the heck, let's go first class.

Never having flown in first, I'm trying to narrow it down to four or five airlines, one being United. It's a one-way ticket. I'm thinking either American, United, Hawaiian, or Continental as choices.

The prices now are all around $730-$800/pp. Is this a reasonable fare to expect, or have any of you expert flyers seen much less? Unfortunately, we don't have enough frequent flier miles or fly much to begin with. Should I look at Priceline? Can you bid on first class airfare there?

Thanks for any advice you may have..
SDCruiser

Moderator Note: This thread is a compilation of threads merged together from various foras. As such, please excuse the kapakai (messy) nature of it. -slippahs

Last edited by slippahs; Apr 29, 2007 at 9:06 pm
Old Apr 29, 2007, 6:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, Qatar Gold, Etihad Gold, Hilton Diamond, InterCon RA, PC Plat, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
This is just my personal opinion, but I'm somewhat concerned you'll be disappointed by domestic F. It's a shame there are no 3-class flights to HNL as international C class is 10x better...

Roger
Old Apr 29, 2007, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Someone who's never flown in domestic first will love it.

I know I thought it was a big plus the first time I experiened First.

Of course then you get to try even better options... heh

I say go for it and splurge. You'll enjoy it.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
If you can get a flight on Continental, on an aircraft equipped with "BusinessFirst" seats, take it.

Unfortunately, airlines don't guaranty the aircraft - so they can change a lot between now and then...and, unless you get the sleeper seats (which AA also offers, but only on the 767-300), you run the risk of it being "nothing special".
Old Apr 29, 2007, 6:35 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA GS/1K/2MM, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sdcruiser
Hello,

I'm looking for some advice as I'm completely unaware of first class fares, specifically from San Diego to Honolulu, March 16, 2008. My family is going on a cruise in March of next year, leaving from Honolulu, and we really want to fly first class to start our vacation off right. It's our 15th wedding anniversary next year, so what the heck, let's go first class.

Never having flown in first, I'm trying to narrow it down to four or five airlines, one being United. It's a one-way ticket. I'm thinking either American, United, Hawaiian, or Continental as choices.

The prices now are all around $730-$800/pp. Is this a reasonable fare to expect, or have any of you expert flyers seen much less? Unfortunately, we don't have enough frequent flier miles or fly much to begin with. Should I look at Priceline? Can you bid on first class airfare there?

Thanks for any advice you may have..
SDCruiser
Don't know about the fare but if I had a choice and could find the right flight I would not do UA. On the HI runs UA flys a domestic first configuration which except for the free drinks and meal is not the most comfortable - seat pitch of 38" vs 35 or 36 in Economy Plus. If you can find the right configuration I would look at AA or CO as on some of their flights they basically fly an international configuration which is much nicer.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 7:00 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
my only piece of advice -- if you fly in first (or even in coach), ask for a Mai Tai (with the fresh fruit on a stick in the drink) on your way to the islands. It put me in a good island mood when I had one after seeing someone else order it on my first trip there, and I have one each time now. Not sure if other carriers have it, but definitely UA does:

look here for a picture, scroll down to pic #30!
Old Apr 29, 2007, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by CO FF
If you can get a flight on Continental, on an aircraft equipped with "BusinessFirst" seats, take it.
also, NW has WBC seats on A330 out of MSP to HNL
Old Apr 29, 2007, 7:52 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Airtran does Not offer First Class and Airtran does not fly to Hawaii..@:-)
Old Apr 29, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I've done ORD-HNL in First on a B777 and then HNL-LAX-ORD in First on B767s. Compared to US Airways, it was amazing- wine glasses with United logos on them that were kept full, very good food, drinks, drinks and more drinks, even more food, friendly service, etc. The 777 is great, although the 767 is less nice.

Check out the seat pitch of the planes on seatguru.com- my airline snob friends who actually pay for FC take Continental to HNL despite having status with American, since CO has 60" pitch, although I was very happy with UA and would very happily take UA again. I am 6'4" and the UA seat pitch was fine- and having taken planes to Europe with 60" pitch that's nice but I don't think it's necessary for a flight during the day.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 8:14 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
(Slightly OT)

Am I crazy or did UA used to have SAN-HNL (and for that matter SEA-HNL) nonstops?
What ever happened to those flights?
Old Apr 29, 2007, 8:18 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I've flown American and United on that route, and in this particular route, I would choose UA (although CO and HA might be better).

AA planes are very old 757s, and I felt like I was back in the 1970s. Service was fine, and seats were comfortable, but it just didn't feel as modern or nice as the UA planes.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 8:26 pm

I've flown United in F between LAX and HNL on 767s and it was very comfortable and the service and food were very good. Better, imo, than the UA transcons (LAX-IAD) in F on 757s.
Old Apr 29, 2007, 8:29 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver
Cool

Sorry, I guess I meant ATA airline. Is this not AirTran?

Sorry for my goof..

SDcruiser
Old Apr 29, 2007, 8:30 pm

the best way to get a ha 1st is to get an upgrade, say using 15k amex miles xfrd to a hawaiianmiles account. if you don't spend a lot of money (like using the hawaiianmiles mall) or can't find someone to gift or trade you the miles you probably just have to pay up (at least i can't think of any other way). perhaps someone else here will have a more creative solution.

as for level of service, from san diego, ha is a no brainer, pleasant, non-stop solution. their first is smaller and tighter than say continental, but on the other hand, i find their service to be much better and it really feels more hawaiian. i don't think you will regret it. on the other hand, if you want to drive up to lax, you can come continental, and the seats and amount of space are significantly better. fwiw, we always fly ha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.