Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "New Year's Eve in Hawaii - what to do, where to stay & eat" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "New Year's Eve in Hawaii - what to do, where to stay & eat" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2007, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott plat, DL Diamond

I'm planning a trip to Kona in Dec/Jan. What kind of New Year's eve activities do you think we'll find?? Staying near Kona.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 9:41 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
More fireworks than you've ever seen in your life
Old Mar 10, 2007, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
More fireworks than you've ever seen in your life
I'll second that! The last two years have stayed in Hawaiian Homelands Subdivisions. Three solid days of fireworks! More fireworks are used during the NY Holidays than July 4. Many restaurants will have special evenings, and some of the resorts up the coast will do luaus/parites. You will find the same offerings you would on the Mainland.

It is a busy week on the BI. Be prepared for traffic
Old Mar 10, 2007, 9:55 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
. . . and long chains of red firecrackers . . . everywhere! It's noisy, but fun with a friendly, happy, party atmosphere.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

The best of all New Years Eves' have been spent on the Big Island. Lots of fireworks and lots of fun.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:01 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Be prepared for traffic
Come over to the east side.

Back to the op's original question

I have no idea whether this is your cup of tea, but look in the Friday, December 28, edition of the West Hawaii Times in the religion section. There will be listings of churches which say they have lunch or "refreshments" after worship for Sunday, December 30. Be advised that in Hawaii there is no such thing as "light refreshments," and odds are you can make a meal out of whatever is served and get to be with "real local" folks. You could ask some of them where you might go to see and hear fireworks; I'm betting at least one of them will invite you to their home.

Last edited by cblaisd; Mar 10, 2007 at 10:07 pm
Old Nov 19, 2007, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott plat, DL Diamond
New Year's Eve on Big Island??

Thanks for attaching this to my previous request. Lost track of that... I'll be at the Sheraton south of Kona, it that makes a difference.. Anyway, it sounds fun...

Any additional ideas or specifics would be appreciated..

Last edited by DZMAN; Nov 20, 2007 at 10:32 am
Old Nov 20, 2007, 1:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Question New Year's Eve on Maui

Hi to all.

I checked major Wailea hotels' websites and none of them had any info about New Year's Eve festivities (yet?). I even called Grand Wailea where we'll be staying and they ahd no info (strange!). I was kind of surprised since late December/early January seem to be the busiest period in Hawaii. Am I looking at the wrong place or is New Year's Eve celebration not that big on Maui? Does anyone have suggestions/previous experience where to go on the New year's Eve around Wailea?
Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 6:40 am

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
There used to be more going on....fireworks in both Wailea and Lahaina, then just fireworks in Lahaina, then just fireworks in Wailea.....it's gotten less organized, if you will, over the years. Not at all like Halloween or July 4th. But the Maui News should have some info in the following weeks....if I see it, I'll post it.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 7:18 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Thumbs up Thank you

Originally Posted by kaukau
if I see it, I'll post it.
THANK YOU! It is rather hard to plan it all from Ukraine, especially taking into account the 12 hours time difference.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold, National EE
Lunar New Year's in Lahaina - Kid Friendly Activities?

We'll be visiting over the LNY. Are there any fun kids' activities scheduled? I know about the parade, but I'd love to find some crafting activities, story-time, seeing the lion or dragon (I foget which it is) from the parade up close.

Any suggestions? Kids are under 6.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 1:40 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by zansu
We'll be visiting over the LNY. Are there any fun kids' activities scheduled? I know about the parade, but I'd love to find some crafting activities, story-time, seeing the lion or dragon (I foget which it is) from the parade up close.

Any suggestions? Kids are under 6.
You bet! What you're looking for takes place in the Wo Hing Temple on Front St. between Dickinson and Papalaua, next to Moose McGillicuddy's.

http://www.lahainarestoration.org/temple.html

http://www.visitlahaina.com/events_calendar.html

Kung Hee Fat Choy!

P.S.: it's a Lion!

************************************************** ************************************************** ****************

Last edited by kaukau; Jan 29, 2008 at 12:19 pm
Old Jan 29, 2008, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott Gold, National EE
Kaukau, you no ka 'oi!
Old Nov 30, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: DL DM & 1 MM, Hilton Silver, Hertz Gold
Big Island (Kona) New Year's Eve Recommendations?

Been to other islands a lot, but will be on the Big Island - staying in Kona - for the first time over the Christmas/New Year's holidays this year. We are looking for any suggestions for New Year's Eve activities - restaurants, shows, etc?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old Dec 4, 2008, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by FireFlyer
Been to other islands a lot, but will be on the Big Island - staying in Kona - for the first time over the Christmas/New Year's holidays this year. We are looking for any suggestions for New Year's Eve activities - restaurants, shows, etc?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Lots of good restaurant & activity recommends at www.konaweb.com We'll be there too. Maybe we'll see you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.