Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lounge options at HNL. Best, worst, suggestions, questions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lounge options at HNL. Best, worst, suggestions, questions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2008, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by cblaisd
If you use the AA lounge outbound, just be sure to add a conservative 20 minutes for your walk time from the lounge to the UA gate.
Just to add that the AA/Qantas lounge is on the way from the UA gates to the interisland terminal and back, so there isn't much deviation (a less than 3-4 min deviation). Still, sage advice.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:03 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Thumbs up I love my PP!

As a longtime PP holder, I want to put a vote in for the Delta CRC. ^

Even though it wasn't on your list (aren't the Crown Room Clubs still participating in PP ? I think so, but could be wrong), the CRC is on the lower level, nestled behind the gardens and has (had? ) a friendly, attentive staff, quiet surroundings and free booze.

Beyond that, I think any of them (except for the UA RCC) should have free booze and some light nibbles.

Or you could just stop by the Kona Brewing Company's restaurant in the terminal, and get your first (and last) taste of liquid aloha.

Enjoy!

Aloha, Ted
Old Dec 1, 2008, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation)
As a longtime PP holder, I want to put a vote in for the Delta CRC. ^

Even though it wasn't on your list (aren't the Crown Room Clubs still participating in PP ? I think so, but could be wrong), the CRC is on the lower level, nestled behind the gardens and has (had? ) a friendly, attentive staff, quiet surroundings and free booze.
Ted, unfortunately, the Delta CRC is no longer there and hasn't been there since the summer. Blame DL's CRC cutbacks, since HNL was one of the clubs that got the ax.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:32 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Originally Posted by slippahs
Ted, unfortunately, the Delta CRC is no longer there and hasn't been there since the summer. Blame DL's CRC cutbacks, since HNL was one of the clubs that got the ax.
And another thing of beauty departs from this earth..............

I didn't know that; mahalo for the info.

Aloha, Ted
Old Dec 1, 2008, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by global_b
Thanks for the link! I hadn't seen that review before. Looks like the lack of a restroom in the WC definitely knocks them out of contention for me.
FWIW, there is a restroom located a few feet from the club entrance. It isn't private. The restroom at CO's club isn't all that grand, if restrooms are a concern.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

AA ADMIRALS CLUB JOINED PP AT HNL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have not known this at all. A shower before leaving humid HNL would be awesome. Unfortunately, I do not have a plan to be in hnl in the near future though.

Last edited by N227UA; Dec 2, 2008 at 12:25 pm
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: SQ - Gold; HHonors - Silver
FWIW, there is a restroom located a few feet from the club entrance. It isn't private. The restroom at CO's club isn't all that grand, if restrooms are a concern.
Normally I wouldn't worry about the restrooms, but with the kid, I've just found it nice to have a more private and typically quieter bathroom. I fear the rush of people that have just landed coming from the mainland with full bladders!

Thanks all for the advice! Since we do have some time, I may try out more than one, but the shower at the AA lounge has really gotten me interested. Nothing like a quick shower after 12+ hours of flying from the east coast...

Aloha!
B
Old Nov 10, 2009, 4:33 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
My apologies in advance for resurrecting this old thread, but it just happened to be my exact question, although circumstances have changed a bit. Since Delta left Priority Pass, the current available lounges are:

AA Admiral's Club
UA Red Carpet Club
CO President's Club
IASS Hawaii Lounge

Any updated recommendations between these?

I'll also be flying on AS both ways, so if anyone has any input about the proximity (or lack thereof) of any of these clubs to the AS gates (highlighted in blue below), I would appreciate it!

Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Reviving this, any comments on the IASS lounge? It seems to be the only PP one open for an AM flight without trekking up to the RCC.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Reviving this, any comments on the IASS lounge? It seems to be the only PP one open for an AM flight without trekking up to the RCC.
Hi Eastbay1K,

I probably would not go there. Whilst it was quiet when I was there a few years ago , not much of a view and you are only allowed ONE soft drink free of charge ( anything more has to be paid for).

Looking at the PP website the policy has not changed.

The garden areas in HNL are very nice and if you do not need a drink , it is almost worth spending time in the gardens rather than the lounge ( esp if oyu have to pay)

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
The garden areas in HNL are very nice and if you do not need a drink , it is almost worth spending time in the gardens rather than the lounge ( esp if oyu have to pay)

Regards

TBS
Thanks. No, I don't have to pay. I thought it might be an ok place to get a cup of coffee, for free.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
Best lounge in HNL?

We are traveling back from PPT next month and have a 6-7 hr layover in HNL. Currrently we have a room reservation at the Marriott in Waikiki (points) but I'm not sure it would be worth it for such a short time.

How are the lounges in HNL? I remember the HA lounge being fairly dismal but haven't been in the others. We have priority passes and they cover the CN, UA, and another (IAS?) UA supposedly has showers. So now I'm thinking about canceling the hotel room, renting a car, driving out to Waikiki for breakfast and some surfing, and coming back to shower. We have 3 kids that would be following along like little ducks on the same agenda.

What would you do? We've been thru HNL more than I can count but never had the need to investigate the lounges.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by QT31415
What would you do? We've been thru HNL more than I can count but never had the need to investigate the lounges.
I've done more than my share of 6-12 layovers in HNL. Check out the sticky thread about long layovers.

One option that I would lean to is the car rental. Make sure that you rent from an agency that you have a membership with, as standing in line for a car is frustrating when you're counting minutes. I always rent a car from the agencies located onsite at the airport, then walk over, rather than wait for a ride on a shuttle.

If you choose to wait at HNL, a way to kill time is to walk to the strip mall just down the street. I think that I wrote some details about that on the other thread.

Another idea is to take a cab to Waikiki, Aloha Tower, or something like that. Probably wouldn't be a lot more expensive than a rental and less hassle.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Originally Posted by nishimark
Originally Posted by QT31415
I've done more than my share of 6-12 layovers in HNL. Check out the sticky thread about long layovers.

One option that I would lean to is the car rental. Make sure that you rent from an agency that you have a membership with, as standing in line for a car is frustrating when you're counting minutes. I always rent a car from the agencies located onsite at the airport, then walk over, rather than wait for a ride on a shuttle.

If you choose to wait at HNL, a way to kill time is to walk to the strip mall just down the street. I think that I wrote some details about that on the other thread.

Another idea is to take a cab to Waikiki, Aloha Tower, or something like that. Probably wouldn't be a lot more expensive than a rental and less hassle.
The Airport Trade Center doesn't have anything more than an L&L, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, and a Ninja Sushi. So unless one is hankering for food, not much there.

Sound advice is to grab a rental and explore, especially if the driving time will be during nonpeak traffic times.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
The Airport Trade Center doesn't have anything more than an L&L, Starbucks, Jamba Juice, and a Ninja Sushi. So unless one is hankering for food, not much there.

Sound advice is to grab a rental and explore, especially if the driving time will be during nonpeak traffic times.
Good point. Airport Trade Center is better for killing a 3-hour layover if you want to get out of the airport.

If you rent a car and go to Waikiki, you can get validated parking at the Royal Hawaiian garage when you buy something at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center. You could buy a new Mac at the Apple Store, or even a bottle of water at the ABC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.