Wiki Posts
Search

CONSOLIDATED Kilauea Volcano Lodging Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2006, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

CONSOLIDATED Kilauea Volcano Lodging Recommendations

Found some great info under FAQ but looking for more details

Please share your volcano lodging recommendations.

Please specify
- name of the hotel, B&B, rental unit, etc
- year of your stay
- reason for recommendation/dissatisfaction (price, room, etc)
- pictures (if any).
- type of accommodations
(a) no-frills accommodations for the budget-minded traveler (basic requirements pertaining to comfort, cleanliness, and hospitality)
(b) standard room accommodations
(c) upscale room accommodations
Old Jan 31, 2006, 6:52 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Thumbs up Hale Ohia Cottages

Hale Ohia Cottages

Summer 2005 - Cottage #44 3 nights and Ihilani Cottage 1 night
Summer 2001 – Dillingham Suite 4 Nights

Very well kept, small property about five minutes drive from the VNP entrance. Nice quiet tropical forest setting. Simple but good breakfast consisting of a loaf of tropical bread, papaya, guava juice, coffee and tea.

The proprietor is an architect and each cottage/unit is unique which is much more fun than a cookie cutter property.

On site property manager is easily accessible if you need anything. Reservation process is simple and efficient (note: there is a surcharge for paying with credit cards. That’s my one dislike in their setup).

All units have coffeemakers, microwave, and mini refrigerators. Some units have full kitchens; however, in general only plan on doing light duty cooking in any of the units. We never cooked dinner but we're easily able to store lunch fixings, drinks, and snacks in the kitchens. For more selection, shop at a supermarket before you get to Volcano.

Prices are midrange for a B n B property.

For more details check out their web site: www.haleohia.com.

If you can get it, Cottage #44 is our favorite. In general, I recommend any of the freestanding cottages over the suites in shared buildings. They are quieter.

Also take a look at Kilauea Lodge, URL: http://www.kilauealodge.com. We have never stayed there but have eaten at the restaurant, which is quite good. If Hale Ohia wasn’t available we would definitely look into staying at Kilauea Lodge.

P.S. Volcano House in VNP is a dump. The only thing it has going for it is the view of the crater.

P.P.S. For dining in Volcano Village our favorites are Kilauea Lodge and Thai Thai.

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Jan 31, 2006 at 6:58 pm
Old Feb 2, 2006, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Hale Ohia Cottages

P.S. Volcano House in VNP is a dump. The only thing it has going for it is the view of the crater.

P.P.S. For dining in Volcano Village our favorites are Kilauea Lodge and Thai Thai.

But oh what a view at Volcano House. Sunrises are spectacular. We get a deluxe crater view room ever time we are in Volcano. The walls are paper thin, breakfast is the only passable meal in the restaraunt, tour buses mob the place during the day- but we wouldn't stay anywhere else.

There is a relatively new restaraunt in Volcano that is quite good. On the main drag and the name begins with a K.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 11:02 pm

Programs: US, UA
i was at the country goose b&b's hale iki cottage within the past week. pluses would be privacy, spaciousness, kitchen, w/d, great full breakfast included (at main house), location (2mi from VNP entrance, few blocks from the town's "restaurant row").
fyi, when i was researching where to stay, it was between this and hale ohia. i am not displeased whatsoever with my choice. i would stay there again tomorrow.
my only cautions would be: this particular cottage may not be suitable for people afraid of the dark and/or being "in the jungle" (to me this was a plus) or those with issues climbing the short steep stairway to the bedroom loft.
Old Jun 9, 2006, 7:38 pm

Volcano Lodging

On my recent trip to the Islands we visited volcano park and opted to spend a couple of nights on the Hilo side, so we didn't have to do the long drive in from Waikoloa.

We found an absolutly delightful cottage I wanted to share with everyone. I had a few referrals, but by the time we made our reservations several of them were booked. We had heard about the Country Goose Bed and Breakfast, in checking their web site I noted they had several cottages for rent. We chose the Pukeawe Cottage and I have to say it is absolutly the most lovely place.

It is located about 2 miles past the park entrance and about 4 miles from the Country Goose (it is near the volcano golf course and winery).

The cottage was absolutly immaculate, beautifly decorated and had everything you could ever want. The kitchen was fully stocked with plates, silverware, pots, pans, dish soap etc. There was a washer and dryer, flashlights, an umbrella, board games, movies for the DVD player, etc. Everything was in perfect working order and I will stress again very, very clean. The bathrooms were stocked with beautiful fluffy towels, Dove soap, shower gel and shampoo and lotion. There were helpful notes about how to operate things and even a "cottage manual" near the phone in case you still had a question.

We paid $150 per night for two people which included a full breakfast at the inn every morning. We were served fresh squeezed guava jucie, a plate of island fruits, eggs, french toast, sausage and lovely conversation.The innkeeper Joan was ill when we were there but her grandson Shannon cooked breakfast for us every morning. He was very helpful with tips about where to go in the park, how long it would take to get there etc.We liked it so much we didn't want to leave!

We went into Hilo bought a few groceries and opted to cook at the cottage, rather than eat out. it rained quite a bit (off and on) the two days we were there, so take a light jacket and some long sleeves just in case.
Old Apr 26, 2007, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Recent reports, please!

I'm torn between the convenience of the Volcano House Hotel and some of the lodges.

If we only have 2 days / 1 night for seeing the volcanos and the east side of BI in general, is it worth staying in VHH, despite its 'tour bus' busy-ness?

We will be there May 21-22, so if this is shoulder season, would it be quiet enough that VHH would be okay?
Ozstamps' thread is good info, but all the other places sound better, but wouldn't staying at VHH give us a unique night-time lava tour experience?

Ultimate Kauai (Revealed) ^ both this hotel, despite poor reviews here, plus a couple of Volcano Village inns/lodges, such as Chalet Kilauea and the Inn at Volcano (thinking about Jade Room).

Is the convenience of walking down to the volcano at night worth it - will we see any volcanic 'action' that is closed off to people staying outside teh park, at the Volcano village B&Bs/lodges?

[Edit to add: a few places reviewed as better bets - but then do we miss out on night-time lava tours in VNP?]
Kate's volcano Cottage: TripAdvisor #1 of 11 specialty lodging in Volcano. (but 2nt minimum, unless accepted as a last-minute inquiry!)
In general, the volcanoplaces website has some nice looking cottages - reviewed well on TA, but I've not seen any talk on FT! We love the cute cottage option, on our recent US trips.

Last edited by BiziBB; Apr 26, 2007 at 11:56 pm
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:39 am

After staying in Volcano Village and seeing location, etc of VHH, I would never stay at VHH (ok, maybe once for the experience on my 10th trip to the volcano or something like that). Volcano Village is very close to the National Park. You are going to be driving down to the lava flow at night anyways, regardless of if you stay at VHH or in Volcano Village. You just have a nice crater view if you stay at VHH (I would NEVER stay there if I didn't book a Crater View BTW). To answer your question, there is nothing closed off to people in Volcano Village that is accessible to VHH guests. The only difference is a 5-minute car drive. And there is no lava flow near VHH, it is a 15 minute car drive down towards to Chain of Craters Rd before you see any lava flow.

I stayed at Hale Ohia too when I went and was quite happy with it (although I did find one other negative in addition to the credit card surcharge: There's also a surcharge if you are only staying one night). But the rates are very reasonable. I think I paid $125 for my night at Hale Ohia, which is very reasonable if you are coming from $200+ digs on the Kohala Coast. Oh yeah, and my wife enjoyed the company of the house cat Dixon, who slept in our room with us all night.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 6:50 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, Choice Diamond, Priority Club Plat, DL Silver
If you fall into one of the categories, you might want to check out Kilauea Military Camp - http://www.kmc-volcano.com/ - it is in the park itself and has some nice cottages and decent facilities. The food is military base quality (think bowling alley food, which, by the way, they have a 10 (?) lane one there) at worst, and some is actually very good, but cheaper then anything else you will find in the park, unless you pack in your own. I have used their tours desk and the prices were at least slightly better then anywhere else I could find.

Based on which category you fall in, rates for a one bedroom range from $63 to $115.

The designated categories, straight from their website, are -

KMC is open to all active and retired military, Reserve and National Guard members, current and retired Department of Defense civilian employees, dependents and sponsored guests.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 10:56 am

Stayed in Chalet Kilauea's Inn at Volcano in the village, in 2007 (just over a week ago.) To clarify, Chalet Kilauea is an umbrella which runs a number of properties there, with the Inn at Volcano being one of them.

We were in the treehouse suite, which I guess would qualify as one of their more upscale choices. We very much enjoyed the property and felt well-treated; admittedly they're not exactly a bargain but the cost was still similar to that of a basic room at the Fairmont Orchid (where we'd come from.) The (common) living room has a bit of a propane scent when the fireplace is on, which may bother some people. I have some photos but they don't really show anything you can't see on their web page. I would stay there again.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:17 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Originally Posted by FLOIR
If you fall into one of the categories, you might want to check out Kilauea Military Camp - http://www.kmc-volcano.com/ - it is in the park itself and has some nice cottages and decent facilities. The food is military base quality (think bowling alley food, which, by the way, they have a 10 (?) lane one there) at worst, and some is actually very good, but cheaper then anything else you will find in the park, unless you pack in your own. I have used their tours desk and the prices were at least slightly better then anywhere else I could find.

Based on which category you fall in, rates for a one bedroom range from $63 to $115.

The designated categories, straight from their website, are -

KMC is open to all active and retired military, Reserve and National Guard members, current and retired Department of Defense civilian employees, dependents and sponsored guests.
I second KMC. ^
Rustic and inexpensive and a great value for qualifying patrons.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:34 pm

Can definitely give a ^ to the treehouse suites (didn't stay there but saw if when we were picking up our luggage from front desk -- was stayed at another of their properties -- wouldn't rec. it.. had major problems with room/plumbing <flooded toilet... when we just got there... soaked the bathroom floor until I turned the valve off ... the didn't know if they would be able to get a plumber in for evening... it was a one night stay>) The suite looked absolutely lovely with jacuzzi tub w/tv set etc... very upscale. Also hear the candelight breakfast is definitely wonderful.
You definitely don't lose anything experience staying in V Village vs. Volcano House Hotel. We also recommend the Thai restaurant "in town" ... check to see if they're open. (hear it closes when the owner "doesn't feel like working) . they also have good bento boxes to take to park for lunch.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 7:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I have stayed at the KMC a couple of times. First time it was the 1 bedroom cottage with the jacuzzi tub (visit Oct 01) The 2nd time was in the same type of cabin but no jacuzzi tub (visit Sep 06). The price is right for what you get and you can not beat the proximity to all the things in VNP. I would recommend going out of KMC for food. We only ate there the 2nd visit because we had a $25 food credit. The food was not worth it. Coming from Oahu, it is strange to be up in the mornings and it be in the mid 50s for temps. Make sure you bring a jacket or sweater. I checked out the Lodge and it did seem to be run down. Plus it was over run by cruise ship passengers (not that there is anything wrong with that; insert smiley face here). Let me know if you have any questions about KMC. Obviously you need to meet the requirements to get a reservations (active duty military, reserves, retired, etc).
Old Apr 27, 2007, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Thank you gregorygrady, marcvh, FLOIR, tednugent and cmjaffe,
Based on your helpful feedback the lodges and inns look good.
Whether I qualify to be sponsored as a guest at the MC in VNP (Uncle, US Army RT; cousin, US Navy - how does sponsorship work?) I on't know.

Kathryn (Kate's Cottages) helpfully suggested these
Volcano Village Inns/B&Bs:
Kilauea Lodge;
My Island Bed & Breakfast Inn;
Volcano Inn;
Aloha Junction;
Chalet Kilauea;
Lotus Garden Cottages , or at the Mauna Loa Estates across the highway:
Bamboo Orchid Cottage;
Country Goose,
which has has Kalehua for $175/nt (Hale Iki is unavailable on the night).
Old Apr 27, 2007, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
BiziBB, when I went to visit the volcano area, I went out on a boat at night to see the lava flowing into the sea. Absolutely incredible! If there is any way you can arrange to do that....brilliant.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 9:05 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
If you were on an organized boat tour off the coast to see the lava, that would be amazing (thanks Oldpenny16 for that recommendation). However, do not attempt to take a boat yourself. When I was there in Sept 06, we watched a personal boat get dangerously close to the lava/sea convergence. I am sure the fumes are fairly toxic. I wouldnt want to get close to find out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.