Search

Consolidated "Day trip to the Big Island?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2005, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Consolidated "Day trip to the Big Island?" thread

I'm taking the family to Hawaii in August and am planning the activities. The shortest trip is to the Big Island - only 3 days. We're staying at the Marriott on the Kohala coast and I'm thinking of trying to get all the "other side" sites in one (long) day.

The travel book I have says 3hr15min from KOA to Volcano NP, but I don't know if that's going north or south. Anyone know the time to drive from the Marriott to Hilo and then on to VNP?

What I'd like to do is:

Get up early, early
Waipi'o Overlook
Hilo for a 45-50 min helicopter trip (probably 90 min total needed)
Ranbow Falls/Boiling Pots/Peepee Falls by car/hike, if close
Akaka Falls
The Gardens at Nani Mau

On to VNP - Crater Rim Drive, Visitor Center, Thurston Lava Tubes
Head down the Chain of Craters road at 6pm for 6:50 sunset. Watch until dark (7:30 or 8), then a long slog home, getting home about 12 or 1

I'm leaving the next day open until noon, so we can recover.

There's no way we can get to that side of the island twice, but I'm already leaving out the Tropical Botanical Garden, Zoo and Aquarium.

Is this do-able?
Old Jun 25, 2005, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
I'm taking the family to Hawaii in August and am planning the activities. The shortest trip is to the Big Island - only 3 days. We're staying at the Marriott on the Kohala coast and I'm thinking of trying to get all the "other side" sites in one (long) day.

The travel book I have says 3hr15min from KOA to Volcano NP, but I don't know if that's going north or south. Anyone know the time to drive from the Marriott to Hilo and then on to VNP?

What I'd like to do is:

Get up early, early
Waipi'o Overlook
Hilo for a 45-50 min helicopter trip (probably 90 min total needed)
Ranbow Falls/Boiling Pots/Peepee Falls by car/hike, if close
Akaka Falls
The Gardens at Nani Mau

On to VNP - Crater Rim Drive, Visitor Center, Thurston Lava Tubes
Head down the Chain of Craters road at 6pm for 6:50 sunset. Watch until dark (7:30 or 8), then a long slog home, getting home about 12 or 1

I'm leaving the next day open until noon, so we can recover.

There's no way we can get to that side of the island twice, but I'm already leaving out the Tropical Botanical Garden, Zoo and Aquarium.

Is this do-able?

Hawaiian spirit is not about checking off lists, racing madly from one attraction to another. Suggest your family will be much happier with HALF of your plans, better yet a quarter!!! Get out of the car and enjoy the beauty and uniqueness.

Since the active volcano is unique to Hawaii choose this and really take the time to enjoy the ride through the rain forest then the abrupt change to the volcanic devastation. Go through the Museum and absorb the spirit of the artists trying to capture Hawaii. Walk on the lava fields, find the first brilliant emerald green plant growing out of the lava next to a path. Stop in one of the little towns for lunch. SLOW DOWN!! What other islands are you seeing? You can see gorgeous lush dramatic scenery on the other islands.

Hope you have a great vacation and will come back many times to see all that you want!
Old Jun 25, 2005, 5:34 pm

marriott to waipio: 90 minutes
waipio to hilo: 60 minutes
hilo to vnp: 60 minutes
vnp back to marriott: 2 1/2 hours.

these are my best guesses. have driven it quite a few times. doing a circle of the island in one day isn't a problem. but you'll need and want to make stops though, which is most of the fun, and could also encounter unexpected traffic.

i also particularly enjoy the city of refuge, although it may well not fit in with your other desires.

finally, i'd skip the helicopter tour entirely. you'll already have more than enough to do and will see everything without it.

relax and enjoy more.

Last edited by jtkauai; Jun 25, 2005 at 5:55 pm
Old Jun 25, 2005, 5:35 pm

I agree with what the previous poster said. Take some items off of the list. Afterall, you'll be in paradise. You don't want your vacation to seem like a job. One thing's for sure, keep your plans for sunset.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
As the previous posters have suggested, cut out some of the activities. We head over next week for our 6th trip to the Big Island and have still not seen all there is to see there.

I would make the drive and stop at some of the places you have mentioned, but get to VNP as early as you can. There is enough there to occupy you for several days. As a geologist, I can tell you VNP is a one of a kind location. The things that you can see there, are unlike almost anywhere else on the planet. Be sure to be at the end of Chain of Craters Road before dusk and then enjoy the view (hopefully lava will be easily viewed). I find the end of Chain of Craters Road to be one of the most beautiful places on the Big Island. The juxtaposition of deep blue ocean and dark volcanic rock is tremendous.

Take your time and enjoy what you see rather than rushing through all of the sites.
Old Jun 25, 2005, 6:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
And I'll agree too!

You might find some helpful ideas in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383983
Old Jun 25, 2005, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA, HA, CO
I agree with all other posters here. Take out some of the things from your list, as you will most likely find plenty of attraction towards what you have down. Slow down, and take in the views. Skip the helicopter tour completely.

I'm going to be in Hilo most of next week on my golfing extravaganza. What you are trying to do is somewhat similar to me trying to take in ten rounds of golf at various courses on both sides of the island in the four days I will be there.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 26, 2005, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by CPRich
Is this do-able?
Even if it IS doable, are you looking for a relaxing vacation or a death march???

I wouldn't attempt all that in one day even by myself, let alone with a family (which I presume includes children)!

If you want to visit VNP properly, it's good to stay nearby at least for a night or two. There are plenty of B&B's and cottage rentals in the immediate vicinity.

(There's also a safety issue here. All that driving, on Hawaii's narrow, winding roads, for 3 hours late at night after a long grueling day.... possible recipe for disaster. @:-) )

It's not called the Big Island for nothing.

OBTW, do you ever eat or go to the bathroom when you travel?
Old Jun 26, 2005, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
oh, honey! that doesn't sound like a holiday, that sounds like a grind!

i'm with the other posters, take a few items off your list. what you remove depends on who in the family likes what, but if it were me, i'd take the helicopter off the list and use the money to spend the night in volcano, either in the park or in one of the funky little b&b's.

then, you'll have ample time to see waipio/akaka falls on the way over (i like the falls, it's a little hike and lovely, but wouldn't be the same if you were trying to rush your way through it) AND you can spend more time in vnp...which you'll want to, once you're there. there are hikes you can do in the park, if you're so inclined, plus since you won't be rushing every minute you can get a feel for the people and the aina (land).

enjoy the trip--no, really! remember to enjoy it, whatever you choose to do!

Last edited by karenkay; Jun 26, 2005 at 6:18 pm
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:40 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
here are some ideas for the Big Island: http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthrea...ghlight=Flumin
Old Jun 29, 2005, 10:30 am

Programs: UA, MR, AA
We spent 3 days on the Big Island in May. First 2 at the Waikola Marriott and the 3rd at Hale Ohia Cottages, about 1 mile past enterance to VNP.

3 days was not enough to do much of anything. I think the times posted above are reasonable. We checked out of the Marriott by 9:00 AM and got to VNP by about 1:00 or so after stopping a few times.

We were able to hike into the lava flow and get back out by sunset and then enjoyed some views of the nightime flow near the end of chain of craters road.

The Big Island is, well, Big. If you want any time to just relax you'll need to cut out your schedule a bit and save some stuff for the next visit.

By the way, we flew into KOA and out of ITO. Rental car did not charge more to do this and we were very glad at the end of the day after hiking in and out that we didn't have to drive all of the way back to the Marriott.

Have fun.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:01 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I'm going to offer slightly different advice ... if you're there for three days, I don't see a problem with having one crazy day of running around the island and two days to relax. I'd rather do that than spend part of each day driving good distances.

I would probably start out with your itinerary in mind, but be flexible about it. If one area grabs your attention, stay longer. If you get tired, no reason why you can't lop a few things off (the helicopter would be the only thing you'd need to decide yeah or nay about ahead of time - check lava reports when making that decision; or if you've visiting Kauai, do it there instead). The only thing I would hold fast to is getting to VNP early in the evening.

BTW, the good things you're leaving out aren't the zoo and the aquarium, but kayaking with spinner dolphins, hiking in the Waipio Valley, snorkling with turtles, star gazing, and, on the commercial side, Flumin' da Ditch.

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 29, 2005 at 1:09 pm
Old Jun 29, 2005, 1:33 pm

90 minutes before sunset you may want to hike out as close as you can get to the lava flow. You need to be in good shape, change to blue jeans for the hike, have a bottle of water and flashlights. The hiking trail is marked and there is a rope at the end where they recommend you stop. Some people go beyond the ropes. Stay with the crowds. Lava flows can change.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Thanks all for the input. With the info provided I took out a map and realized the Waipi'o Overlook wasn't right on the way, probably an hour of driving added, plus the time to look around , so I took that off the list and moved it to another day.

As letiole noted, I think we're OK with one crazy day. The day after we return, there is nothing scheduled but a noon Dolphin Quest swim at the resort next door and a flight at 7pm. And with only 3 days on the big island, anything we miss on the east coast is probably missed forever.

We went on vacation in March and drove from Phoenix to Sedona, helicoptered, Jeeped, shopped, hiked, and crammed a lot in a day and found it enjoyable.

We also have 11 other days that are more laid back on Oahu and Maui (I'll post my entire plan on another thread, hoping for equally valuable feedback).

Here's what I'm down to:

- Leave early, 7:30am or so (kids can sleep in the car).
- Pepe'ekeo Scenic Drive looks like it's on the way
- A few short turnoffs to waterfalls - Akaka Falls State Park, Wailuku River State Park (Rainbow Falls, Boiling Pots, Pe’epe’e Falls),
- Helicpoter flight out of Hilo - several options for 50 minute flights to the Volcano and over several falls - I'm allocating 90 minutes for this
- Tsunami Museum if there's time
- On to VNP - should still have 4 hours for Crater Rim Drive, the Lava Tubes, and get down the Chain of Craters road for a lava hike at sunset
- Drive back, probably not back until 11:30pm - sleep late

The World Botanical Gardens at Umauma and Nani Mau (?) are on the way but there seem to be enough Gardens/Arboreums/etc. on all the islands that I can hold off.

We will be carrying hiking clothes and flashlights for the lava hike - is it really 90 minutes *after* driving down CofC Road to hike out? I though I read it was about a mile and was only counting on 30 minutes.

Comments?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Spinner dolphins?

Originally Posted by letiole
I'm going to offer slightly different advice ... if you're there for three days, I don't see a problem with having one crazy day of running around the island and two days to relax. I'd rather do that than spend part of each day driving good distances.

I would probably start out with your itinerary in mind, but be flexible about it. If one area grabs your attention, stay longer. If you get tired, no reason why you can't lop a few things off (the helicopter would be the only thing you'd need to decide yeah or nay about ahead of time - check lava reports when making that decision; or if you've visiting Kauai, do it there instead). The only thing I would hold fast to is getting to VNP early in the evening.

BTW, the good things you're leaving out aren't the zoo and the aquarium, but kayaking with spinner dolphins, hiking in the Waipio Valley, snorkling with turtles, star gazing, and, on the commercial side, Flumin' da Ditch.
Please elaborate on the "kayaking with spinner dolphins." Sounds intriguing!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.