Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Keauhou Bay vs Hilton Waikoloa Village

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Sheraton Keauhou Bay vs Hilton Waikoloa Village

We're planning a trip to the big island this September and are thinking about either the Sheraton Keauhou Bay or the Hilton Waikoloa Village.

I'm Platinum with SPG and will probably be only Silver if anything with Hilton. We would probably use points or pay for the room if it is cheap enough for either of these. I'm holding a $190 / nt reservation at the Sheraton which includes full breakfast.

I read several negative reviews about the Sheraton but mostly positives about the Hilton.

Which is the better choice?

I really liked the Hyatt Kauai (with Diamond Status), are these places in the same league?

Thanks.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Location-wise, are you looking to do things in Kailua-Kona? That might be a plus for the Sheraton. And, would you be able to get a suite upgrade at the Keahou (perhaps a quesiton for the SPG forum)?

Here's a picture posted by another FTer on the Keahou property:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/taking...road/my_photos

With any sort of status over Silver, I'd probably choose the HWV, but with your Plat SPG status, the SPG guarantee, and the fact that the Keahou is newly renovated, I would personally choose the Sheraton (just for this once). Then again, in terms of shear pool facilities, the HWV can't be beat.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
In my opinion, I would choose the HWV over the Sheraton. The Keauhou Bay is still a work in progress with some growing pains from most of the reviews I have seen so far, while the HWV is a reliable, polished property. Even as a SPG member myself, I choose the Hilton when I visit the BI and probably will not change even after the Keauhou opens, unless there are some awesome reviews of it.

Having said that, there could be some points that steer you the other way. Some of your decision might depend on what part of the island you plan on spending most of your time or traveling to. What activities you want to be closest to.

The HWV is a monstrous property that can sometimes overwhelm with its size and layout. The rooms are very nice, and you can try and choose a building on the property that would put you closest to the where you plan on spending your time.

The HWV would be closest to the Hyatt in terms of quality (this property actually was a Hyatt before it became a Hilton).
Old Apr 1, 2005, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
I have only visited friends staying at the HW & if horrified me... giant, loud, people yelling & screaming, huge amounts of time to get to your room & back, people getting lost, ugly ugly rooms (at least the one I saw...), not much you could call a beach & scary restaurants. I'd only go here if I had young kids & was on major Valium. Have not seen the Sheraton - I've too heard mixed reviews, but if you're not travelling en famile, I would pick that. Actually, I'd pick the Orchid or the 4 SSNs or the Mauna Kea or Kona Village.

The one good thing about Waikoloa is that there's a Roy's on the entrance to the complex - not the best of the chain, but still pretty darn good & no one can ruin their chocolate lava souffle cake dessert!

P.S. No, neither one anywhere near the Hyatt Kauai in quality & beautiful grounds
Old Apr 1, 2005, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I've stayed at both, although the HWV was the Hyatt Regency Waikoloa and the Sheraton was the Kona Surf.

If you've ever been to the Kaua`i Marriott, you will have a good sense of the HWV as they were both built around the same time by the same developer. I would say the HWV leans a little more towards the Disneyland type of experience as brendamc alludes to above.

Like braddah slippahs asks above, it really depends on what your plans are while on the Big Island. The island really is large enough that where you stay can impact what you are able to do.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 5:37 pm

I happen to really love the Hapuna Prince (more so than the Mauna Kea). All rooms are faced towards the water. Walk to perfect beach. HWV only if you love kids and disneyland (it has been analogized to disneyland many many times). Hapuna rates start at $199 and I think they are $219 with dailty buffet breakfast.

Just my 2 cents
Old Apr 6, 2005, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
The HWV is a monstrous property that can sometimes overwhelm with its size and layout. The rooms are very nice, and you can try and choose a building on the property that would put you closest to the where you plan on spending your time.

This is why we would not choose it. We walked around and had dinner there and could see it 'wasn't for us'. Depends what type of ambience, size, location suits your personal preferences.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reviews!

Honestly I haven't researched the Big Island very much yet. The top of our list is to see a volcano / lava, snorkeling and that's about it.

Luckily I was able to get in on the Gold status extension for HHonors, though I wasn't able to get the HWV for the days of our flight award. I would have to move everything around, though it's still doable. I would also have to transfer in 100k more HHonors points to be able to get the award certificate...

Right now I'm leaning towards the HWV, though a Plat suite upgrade at the Sheraton would be nice too.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Originally Posted by brendamc
I have only visited friends staying at the HW & if horrified me... giant, loud, people yelling & screaming, huge amounts of time to get to your room & back, people getting lost, ugly ugly rooms (at least the one I saw...), not much you could call a beach & scary restaurants. I'd only go here if I had young kids & was on major Valium. Have not seen the Sheraton - I've too heard mixed reviews, but if you're not travelling en famile, I would pick that. Actually, I'd pick the Orchid or the 4 SSNs or the Mauna Kea or Kona Village.
if you want a beach at all, you should know that the sheraton doesn't have one. both hwv and sheraton have remarkably similar clientele, and i'm not impressed with the restaurants at either. if a spa is important to you, you should know that the sheraton just cancelled their yoga classes and subbed out the pool towel folks to a sunscreen distributor (i.e., sales people.) i think they've still got that stuff at hwv.

if i had to choose between the two, i'd pick hwv because they've got more options (lots of mediocre restaurants rather than just a few) plus they have a beach and proximity to the king's shops, with more restaurant choices, BUT

the orchid and hapuna beach prince are worth checking out....and, for a splurge, dine at the four seasons, either alan wong's grille or pa'uhia.

also--since you do want to see the volcano, i'd suggest spending one night on the hilo side of the island or in volcano (the town) proper. it's rather a long drive over and back in one day.

have a great trip!
Old Apr 9, 2005, 4:31 pm

don't really care for either of your choices, except that when i had young boys, they enjoyed the hilton's dolphins, boats and monorail.

go to hapuna beach (prince). the $ difference (if any) will be more than worth it.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
sheraton grand opening

from today's west hawaii today (you may have to register to read this)

http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/artic...al/local01.txt

not a ton of info, but there is a picture...

kk

here's the text of the article, if you don't want to register. (front page of saturday's paper, but it's just a puff piece.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Celebrating Rejuvenation

Even with landscapers and painters still working on the grounds, finishing some last minute touches, there was no doubt Friday that the new Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa is officially open for business.

BY BETSY TRANQUILLI
WEST HAWAII TODAY
[email protected]
Saturday, April 9, 2005 8:11 AM HST

Hundreds of invited guests and curiosity seekers strolled through the open-air lobby overlooking Keauhou Bay, marveled at the two-tier pool and 200-foot water slide and were generally amazed at how $70 million completely transformed the former Kona Surf Hotel.

"I think it's just beautiful," said long-time Kona resident Elly Bushnell as she sat gazing out at the bay. "We used to love the Kona Surf. But we're just happy to have this resort here again."

After the Kona Surf closed in 2000, the property was purchased by Koa Hotel LLC, which undertook a massive renovation and revitalization project. The renovation included restructuring the hotel entrance; refurbishment of the of the 1.5 acre outdoor luau garden; a world-class spa; a multi-level pool and slide; a new wedding chapel; and restoration of the resort's 521 rooms, restaurants, meetings rooms and convention facilities.

Invited guests were offered a special "Grand Opening" rate of $99 per night for the weekend and the resort had 80 rooms booked for the occasion.

"With this location, I thank goodness they did something with this property," Hawaii-based travel writer Lynn Cook said as she toured the grounds.

Located on 22 acres of ancient lava flow, renovating the old Kona Surf represented a unique opportunity for developers. With the change in zoning laws since the original hotel was built in the 1970s, developers can no longer build on the base of the oceanfront, which is the new Sheraton's most spectacular attraction. The resort crowns the bay's southern shoreline, a renowned gathering place for manta rays.

The resort had a "soft" opening -- an informal opening to ensure operations are up to standards -- on Oct. 1. But Friday's events gave new meaning to the term "grand opening" -- with the entrance of the Kahiko dancers, the traditional Hawaiian blessing and the parade of businessmen touting the economic revitalization of the Keauhou resort area.

"We are celebrating the rejuvenation of the Keauhou area and economy and bringing new jobs and new life here," General Manager Charldon Thomas said. "We are celebrating new life, hope, opportunities and most importantly, a new guest experience rich in the traditions of the past and full of promise for the future."

Last edited by karenkay; Apr 10, 2005 at 10:48 am Reason: to include text of article
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
I am rekindling this thread as we will likely split four nights worth of stays between the two.

Would you go 3 at SPG / 1 at HWV, 2 and 2, or 1SPG/3HWV?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:04 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by atxtraveler
I am rekindling this thread as we will likely split four nights worth of stays between the two.

Would you go 3 at SPG / 1 at HWV, 2 and 2, or 1SPG/3HWV?
If you have to stay at the Sheraton, I'd do only one night there. Personally, I'd skip it since I felt like it was in the middle of nowhere, although you may prefer that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.