Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Whale Watching in Hawaii - Questions & Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2008, 5:29 pm
msv
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sonoranjerseygirl
Has anyone done a whale cruise form Oahu? Just wondering if its worth the money. Ideally, I'd like to take a day trip to Maui for one, but I'm not sure if I can swing the cost.
I've been to Maui many times in the winter and I do believe that is the only place in Hawaii that the humpback whales come to give birth. It's a long journey from the pacific northwest and they don't eat the entire trip down and back. It really is quite a show (often you can see from shore too) because the mother's have to keep the babies near the surface to breath. The Pacific Whale Watch is an excellent trip to take but if you are there in Feb and early March they are everywhere from Lahina to Wailea and the $$'s would be very well spent.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:05 pm

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Originally Posted by sonoranjerseygirl
Has anyone done a whale cruise form Oahu? Just wondering if its worth the money. Ideally, I'd like to take a day trip to Maui for one, but I'm not sure if I can swing the cost.

Had some friends say they had good luck with the ones out of Waikiki at lunchtime last week.
That said, IMO if you can see lots of whitecaps from the shore, don't bother going out. Something about a dirty, uneven surface that keeps the whales down deeper.

Originally Posted by msv
I've been to Maui many times in the winter and I do believe that is the only place in Hawaii that the humpback whales come to give birth. It's a long journey from the pacific northwest and they don't eat the entire trip down and back. It really is quite a show (often you can see from shore too) because the mother's have to keep the babies near the surface to breath. The Pacific Whale Watch is an excellent trip to take but if you are there in Feb and early March they are everywhere from Lahina to Wailea and the $$'s would be very well spent.
Are you sure about this?
I thought they birthed up north, and came down here after.
You are correct about them not eating the whole time they're here, tho.
Something about the warmer waters not being as nutrient rich and thus not supporting the things whales like to eat.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
Since no human has produced documentation of witnessing the birth of a humpback whale, researchers can only speculate that humpback whales are born in the waters around Hawaii. Pieces of placenta have been found in the ocean near Maui, Lanai, and Molokai; very young calves appear in the areas so they appear to have been born somewhere in the area.

North Pacific humpback whales migrate to three primary breeding and birthing areas: Hawaii, the sea of Japan, and Baja Mexico. Approximatley 70% of the whales that migrate travel to Hawaii and a large percentage of those whales tend to congregate in the Maui, Lanai, and Molokai area. Humpback whales that are spotted from Oahu, the Big Island, and Kauai are usually in a travelling mode.

Humpback whales are seasonal anorexics in that they do not eat while in the breeding and birthing areas (such as Hawaii). There is no food available for them. The only whales that are eating are the calves; the mother squirts milk (up to 40% fat and resembling cottage cheese or yogurt) from her mammary slit. Some whales lose up th one-third of their body weight by the time they swim from Alaska to Hawaii, spend three to six weeks in Maui, and then swim back to Alaska where they have a feeding frenzy all summer.

Maui is one of the best places in the world in see humpback whales. Maui is also one of the cheapest places in the world to see humpback whales. You can see them free from the shore or even your hotel lanai. We have seen them in twenty feet of water in Lahaina harbor.

Whale watching trips in Maui cost from $20 to $60 for a two hour tour. The Pacific Whale Foundation offers the cheapest watches for around $20 for their early morning or late afternoon trips. Their whale watches are on large boats that can hold over 100 passengers. They have one smaller boat that departs Lahaina harbor at 7:00 AM so if you do take one of their cruises, try to go on the smaller boat. If you want to spend only $15 more and really want to have a more-intense experience, then go on one of the zodiacs (Ultimate Whale Watch, Safari Boats, or Captain Steves); you will share your boat with no more than 20 people, you will be able to see the whales when they swim under your boat. America II offers inexpensive whale watches on a sail boat.

I have been on over a hundred whale watch trips in Maui and every trip is different. I recommend that you take several trips during your visit so that you can observe many types of behavior. You may be fortunate enough to witness thirty triple breaches in a row, whales breaching twenty feet from your boat, babies swimming up to the boat, or other amazing activity.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Not knowing who's tour was better, we went out on a Pacific Whale Foundation tour on Feb 20th.

Wound up in the middle of a pod of them as about 10-15 males were crowding around a lone female vying for her attention.

She literally swam under the boat and the males swam around us.

...within 15 feet.

Pretty cool to have them swim by and see their eye balls looking up and focusing on people in our boat.

Like has been stated already....it's "whale soup" off the west shore of Maui.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
I just got back from a week in Kauai and we saw whales every morning and most afternoons from our hotel room and while walking on the beach.
Where did you stay?
Old Mar 2, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, EK Silver
I broke down and booked a day trip to Maui to see the whales I'm still thinking about taking one of the cruises out of Oahu.
Old Mar 2, 2008, 8:04 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Hope this older post of mine is of help...

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showpost....93&postcount=3
Old Mar 5, 2008, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To reinforce what others have said, yesterday I did a quick trip over to Molokini from Lahaina. At any given moment one could look out onto the horizon and see spouts from blowholes. Our captain had to navigate to the reef around the whales.

I have never seen so much whale activity off of Maui's waters in my life.
Old Mar 5, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
More good news to report! According to the Center for Whale Studies, Spreckles and Pineapple have both given birth this year. The researchers at the Center for Whale Studies first observed these two female humpback whales 29 and 31 years ago. The population is growing.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyForFun
More good news to report! According to the Center for Whale Studies, Spreckles and Pineapple have both given birth this year. The researchers at the Center for Whale Studies first observed these two female humpback whales 29 and 31 years ago. The population is growing.
As we approached Lahaina Harbor, there were definitely some moms traveling with their new "2008 models."
Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HHonors Silver, BMI Blue Plus, PriorityClub, Trip Rewards, Marriott
This news is so exciting for me as I am flying out to Maui from England on 3rd April, PLEASE say the whales will still be around then.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 2:28 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by yoni_one
This news is so exciting for me as I am flying out to Maui from England on 3rd April, PLEASE say the whales will still be around then.
The whales will still be around then!
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
I was on a Napali Coast (Kauai) boat trip yesterday (again) and the humpback whales were amazing. There were a couple of them (the captain said probably a mom and baby trying to feed - 100 GALLONS OF MILK PER DAY! ) that put on a show for AT LEAST three minutes, flapping their tails on the surface of the water. The people on the boat with telephoto lenses must have gotten amazing pics!
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL Silver, HHonors Silver, BMI Blue Plus, PriorityClub, Trip Rewards, Marriott
Oh man that is brilliant thank you!!!! We are staying in Lahaina at the Outrigger Aina Nalu, do you know if its any good? Its not a major problem if its abit of a dive as we are only looking for somewhere to sleep, then I plan on snorkelling every day, probably at Baby Beach coz i am coward in the water lol. I cant wait, you are so lucky to be based there.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 4:10 pm

Programs: HA Pua. Platinum WP, PR, QF, UA, AA, DL, NW Prince Preferred
Originally Posted by yoni_one
Oh man that is brilliant thank you!!!! We are staying in Lahaina at the Outrigger Aina Nalu, do you know if its any good? Its not a major problem if its abit of a dive as we are only looking for somewhere to sleep, then I plan on snorkelling every day, probably at Baby Beach coz i am coward in the water lol. I cant wait, you are so lucky to be based there.
Aina Nalu is fine. It's newly remodeled. You can walk to the Harbor in 5 minutes, and Baby Beach in 15 minutes.

Have fun! Give a shout if you want to meet for drinks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.