Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

How busy is OGG likely to be on a Saturday morning for an Island Air flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First

I will be on Island Air this Saturday morning from OGG to HNL. Can anyone advise me on what to expect re wait times for check in and security? I take it they don't participate in pre-check, so how early do I need to get to OGG to get through their check-inn line and the regular security line? My flights is at 9am. Would getting there at 7:15am or 7:30am be OK? Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Muckus
I will be on Island Air this Saturday morning from OGG to HNL. Can anyone advise me on what to expect re wait times for check in and security? I take it they don't participate in pre-check, so how early do I need to get to OGG to get through their check-inn line and the regular security line? My flights is at 9am. Would getting there at 7:15am or 7:30am be OK? Thanks!
OGG has TSA pre-check, it's on the right side next to Hawaiian Airlines check in counters. Mornings are usually not too bad. Expect 20 minutes wait time on regular lines. Early afternoon and evenings are busy when a lot of mainland flights depart.

Island Air requires check in 60 minutes before departure. Be there by 7:45 and you should be OK.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
Thanks for the guidance! Do you know whether one can use pre-check when flying on an airline that doesn't participate? I have my global entry card with me, if that helps...
Old Feb 17, 2017, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the guidance! Do you know whether one can use pre-check when flying on an airline that doesn't participate? I have my global entry card with me, if that helps...
Correction: IslandAir now needs check in 90 minutes before your scheduled departure. So perhaps be there at 7:15. Sorry about that, haven't flown Island Air in a while and I used to do OLCI most of the time.
https://www.islandair.com/general-fa...at-the-airport

TSA pre-check logo has to be on your boarding pass. I've never tried pre-check with logo on my boarding pass. You can try to show your global entry card to line checker, I don't think it will work.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 8:32 pm

Do you know whether one can use pre-check when flying on an airline that doesn't participate? I have my global entry card with me, if that helps...
Officially, no (needs to be indicated on boarding pass), but I guess it depends on the TSA person that checks boarding passes and IDs. You can use the Global Entry card as your ID, though. That's what I use since it doesn't list an address.
Old Feb 18, 2017, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your guidance! For anyone finding this thread later, here is what I can report. Saturday morning in February: we arrived at 7:15am for a 8:58am flight. No one in line to check in, so that was quick. No access to pre-check, so we had a slow line with about 25 people in front of us. It took 20+ minutes to get through. I would say that 7:45am would have been fine, but the lines for check in and security were getting longer. 8am would have been fine without checked bags, but Island Air is serious about their 16 lb. carry on policy. One last thing, although their website says check in is required 90 minutes before the flight the sign at the counter says that check in "opens 90 minutes before departure" and "closes 30 minutes befre departure"
Old Feb 20, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
FWIW, there's a thread in the Hawaii-Based Airlines Forum entitled "IslandAir --Avoid at all costs." LOL
Old Feb 20, 2017, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Yeah. I saw that too. That person clearly had a disastrous experience. I thought Island Air was basically fine. But, in the future I will us Hawaiian for inter-island flights for three reasons. 1. They participate in pre-check and that is a huge advantage. 2. The commuter terminal at HNL is less convenient (for example, there are no taxis there and we had to schlepp our bags to the terminal next door to find one--and that is Hawaiian's inter-island terminal). 3. Hawaiian uses jets, which are faster and more comfortable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.