Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Maui - Options, Questions, Suggestions" (2016+) Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2017, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Older posts on this topic may be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/284368-archived-renting-cars-maui-options-questions-suggestions-thread.html
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Renting Cars on Maui - Options, Questions, Suggestions" (2016+) Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by onthego15
I use discounthawaiicarrental.com for my searching when I'm in Hawaii. I'm on Maui now and got an intermediate care for $29 a day including all fees.
They are a lot higher on the B.I. now. $50+++
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:47 am

I've heard good and bad about all of the major car rental companies. I'm using Chase points for an upcoming trip. Only 13,000 points for a 10 day rental. Prices have been going down recently.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:07 am

If you are a Costco member try using the Costco travel site. I did that last year for a week trip to Maui and you usually receive a 10-20% discount on the regular price from the major rental companies.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 3:44 pm

Thanks all great info
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Best tip I can give you is to keep checking the rate after you book. It's likely to go down (especially in non-peak times) up to the last week before you get there. You can update or rebook at the lower rate at no charge. I've saved hundred$ that way.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 1:11 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
If you put in your booking details at www.autoslash.com/track , they will automatically track and offer to re-book you if the price lowers or there is a lower rate at another company.

They've saved me hundreds of dollars over the last few years.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Originally Posted by seaduck79
I always rent from Dollar. If you join their Fastlane club (which is free), there is a special line that there is rarely more than one other person in. The regular line can be quite long.

As to sending one to get the car, if those left behind can handle getting the luggage, that's a great idea. We were only able to do it once, but it saved some time for sure.
I use Budget (via Costco) and just joined their free Fast Break program so that I too can avoid the long Budget line after taking the shuttle bus. Last year it was about 30 minute long line to get Budget car without Fast Break but I'll admit that OGG / Maui is a relaxing place to be if we don't have to be in a rush. But hopefully in 2017, budget will have fast break and I can save time for my OGG trip in a few weeks :-)
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:25 pm

Great info

We do not rent a lot so thanks for the info
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC
I always rent with Avis, and never had any major problems on Maui. If you have any kind of status with Avis, they just drop you off at your car...no lines.
I have always found that you need to go to the counter with a voucher (which unfortunately many of us get as part of package deals). Has that changed?

Originally Posted by gaobest
I use Budget (via Costco) and just joined their free Fast Break program so that I too can avoid the long Budget line after taking the shuttle bus. Last year it was about 30 minute long line to get Budget car without Fast Break but I'll admit that OGG / Maui is a relaxing place to be if we don't have to be in a rush. But hopefully in 2017, budget will have fast break and I can save time for my OGG trip in a few weeks :-)
Please update on whether this works with a Costco reservation. I have found Costco often has the best deals, usually better than autoslash, though it is worth checking again within 30 days of travel as Hertz will often lower rates as the dates approach.

As for waiting, to each his own, but the last thing I want to do when I start a vacation is spend ANY time waiting in line. My goal is to get to the beach ASAP! In fact I structure my life (Clear, Precheck, GE, etc. just to avoid lines as much as possible, so it is extremely annoying when I have a voucher that can't be handled through the express service (or to wait in line at TSA checkpoints in Hawaii).
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by LillianJ
We do not rent a lot so thanks for the info
Keep on checking until the morning you leave. I check every time I think of it. A couple of months ago, I made a reservation for $404 (Costco) for 10 days beginning later this week. Then the rates went to well over $600. Suddenly, it started dropping. By Saturday morning it was $385 and in the afternoon, it dropped another $10.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Keep on checking until the morning you leave. I check every time I think of it. A couple of months ago, I made a reservation for $404 (Costco) for 10 days beginning later this week. Then the rates went to well over $600. Suddenly, it started dropping. By Saturday morning it was $385 and in the afternoon, it dropped another $10.
And dropped another $13 today (2/6).
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:47 am

Wow

Would never have thought that. We are travelling middle of June and need a car for one week.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo

Please update on whether this works with a Costco reservation. I have found Costco often has the best deals, usually better than autoslash, though it is worth checking again within 30 days of travel as Hertz will often lower rates as the dates approach.

As for waiting, to each his own, but the last thing I want to do when I start a vacation is spend ANY time waiting in line. My goal is to get to the beach ASAP! In fact I structure my life (Clear, Precheck, GE, etc. just to avoid lines as much as possible, so it is extremely annoying when I have a voucher that can't be handled through the express service (or to wait in line at TSA checkpoints in Hawaii).
With Costco / budget, the reservation is a Budget-numbered confirmation matched with a Costco confirmation number, so I strongly assume that the fast break line would work for a Costco reservation. That line was definitely empty so the agent just helped people in the general line.
Next time I rent for OGG, I'll definitely check auto slash and budget themselves just to compare. I'm paying around $450 for a small SUV for 12 days, which I booked around may. I checked Costco on Sunday and rates had tripled. I can't imagine rates improving at this point!
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Budget and Avis bus shuttle from OGG to car rental lots was already huge with a long line.

When we got to budget, the crowd was so huge that a staffer hand wrote number tickets and people had to wait just to get to enter the long line at Budget.

Fast Break helped avoid line but inputting my FB number with Costco rental didn't help - the desk person still had to manually create my reservation or something like that. It's good that I had my FB plastic card! I probably saved myself from a very long line.

I know that this is a busy holiday week but I definitely will now just use budget fastbreak website directly instead of Costco - the time saved was huge. Wow.

GL everyone renting at OGG - not sure how busy it is but that fast break line helps
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
I booked with Dollar, I used to get an upgrade at the desk as it worked out cheaper (Usually) but in this case there is literally a low selection of any other cars other than what you booked so dont rely on that either, I was served pretty quick though was about 4 back in the queue . 2016.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.