Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii Island Trip Report (of sorts)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Hawaii Island Trip Report (of sorts)

I have a farm worker who has not seen the island (except from working on-board a cruise ship). He had landed in Hilo and Kona 4 times each, but never really explored.

We started out at Walmart to pick up a few things then up on the upper road to Waimea. Waimea is home to the Parker Ranch, one of the U.S.’s largest family-owned ranches.

He was surprised to see cactus but I said that is only the beginning of the surprises he will see.

Our first stop was the overlook at Waipio Valley.

Then on to Tex’s Drive in so he could have his first taste of a malasada (Portuguese doughnut). As we finished and drove off, I asked him what he thought of it. He replied that he should have had 3 or 4 ��

This is Jonathan at Akaka/Kahuna Falls.

Continuing south we passed through Hilo and I chose the Panaewa Rainforest Zoo. It is a great local zoo and it is free. I always make a donation. The big attraction is the tigers.

As we were running late, we skipped visiting Hawaii Volcanoes National Park and headed down to the lava flow. Lava flows down the pali (hill) and then heads underground, finally exiting at waters edge. Daytime viewing sometimes shows some red lava, but after dusk it really “heats” up ��

Sorry for the wind noise in the video.

Getting to the flow from the parking area is either by walking or by bike, as no motorized vehicles are allowed. We rented bikes at $20 each and they came with lights, a lock, a first aid kit of sorts and the promise to come help if we got into trouble or the bike broke down.

I can attest that I had real problems on the ride. I had problems changing between the many gears (my old bike only had 3). Also, My hip was bothering me a bit and I was huffing and puffing quite a bit. I also could not peddle well on the cider road. I ended up walking some both ways, however I saw young kids doing fine on bikes.

As we were heading back to return the bikes it started misting and by the time we got back it was raining. I heard a guy looking for ride to Hilo and let him come with us.

It really started pouring down rain so I drove him to the hostel where he was staying. Then Jonathan and I backtracked a number of blocks to Ken’s House of Pancakes, where the menu has hundreds of items. They are open 24 hours and I believe 365 days a year. We got there at 8pm and it was all but full.

After dinner I drove us back across Saddle Road with heavy rain and fog. Both those stopped on the other side of the saddle as we passed Mauna Kea on the right and Mauna Loa on the left. Most of the trip back, Jonathan slept.

The total trip was about 13 hours. He was pretty impressed with our island and my choice of stops. I reminded him that this island is so big that we had to skip many things and one really has to make multiple trips out there to really get a good feeling of what the island has to offer.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 3:36 pm

Thanks for the report! We're looking forward to visiting the Big Island next spring, and I was unaware of the zoo and Waipio valley. I don't know how we're going to fit everything into one week there!
Old Nov 24, 2016, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Big4Flyer
Thanks for the report! We're looking forward to visiting the Big Island next spring, and I was unaware of the zoo and Waipio valley. I don't know how we're going to fit everything into one week there!
Impossible. Get a good guide book and pick out a few things to see and do. Then plan your next trip back. We've been to the B.I. 8-10 times and still haven't seen/done 100% of things on our list. This gives us an excuse to plan our next winter trip!!
Old Nov 25, 2016, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

A good start is "Hawaii - The Big Island Revealed".

I believe I have posted some suggested day trips here before but can try to find them again. They were based upon someone staying on the Kona side in downtown (do we really have a 'downtown?'.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Maybe I can show Jonathan around Oahu
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawaiiFlyerDC8
Maybe I can show Jonathan around Oahu
He is going to be relocating to Oahu in January to take classes.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Thank you LAVAROCK7. We need more trip type reports like this to show the great Diversity on the Big Island. We seem to be fourth down the list for first time visitors, despite everything to see.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: HHonors (Gold), One Pass (Peon)
LAVAROCK7, on your blog, you said that your truck broke! Any luck getting it fixed?

DD
Old Nov 30, 2016, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I had to replace two front struts (we used to call them shocks).
Old Nov 30, 2016, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Lavarock7
Yes, I had to replace two front struts (we used to call them shocks).
And much more expensive than "shocks".

What label does your neighbor use to sell his coffee?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

SouthKonaEstate and the brand is "Better Buy Kona". He used to work in Atlanta but I convinced him the whether was better out here :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.