Wiki Posts
Search

Help Planning Hawaiian Vacation from East Coast

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Help Planning Hawaiian Vacation from East Coast

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to plan a vacation for 2 from the East Coast for late spring/early summer of 2017. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed with the planning and wanted to seek advice here before continuing on.

Background: sitting on a pile of UA points, but have not utilized many/most of the CC rewards, so able to accumulate other points if necessary/advantageous

1) I see that both United and Hawaiian Airlines have non-stop flights from NYC to HNL. What would be the cheapest way to redeem points for these flights? IE use UA or HA points? Or some other partner points?

2) Is it possible to have a "stopover" in HNL and go to another island on the same ticket? IE purchase a EWR-HNL-OGG with a few nights in HNL? We haven't finalized which islands to visit, but it'd be great if this would be an option to get a free inter-island flight.

Any other tips for how best to book this vacation would be greatly appreciated!
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by vacayseeker
1) I see that both United and Hawaiian Airlines have non-stop flights from NYC to HNL. What would be the cheapest way to redeem points for these flights? IE use UA or HA points? Or some other partner points?
If this is what you're getting at, Singapore KrisFlyer charges 35K miles roundtrip for the same United flights from North America to Hawaii where United charges 45K miles. ANA Mileage Club charges 40K miles roundtrip. There are likely other examples, depending on where your miles are.

Keep in mind that United operates EWR-HNL as an 11-hour-long domestic flight with only buy-on-board meals and such.

Originally Posted by vacayseeker
2) Is it possible to have a "stopover" in HNL and go to another island on the same ticket? IE purchase a EWR-HNL-OGG with a few nights in HNL? We haven't finalized which islands to visit, but it'd be great if this would be an option to get a free inter-island flight.
Quite the opposite, in this case: United charges you the extra 6K each way for inter-island flights regardless of whether you're stopping over or merely connecting.

EWR-HNL-OGG is 28.5K miles one way even with a short layover in HNL; EWR-SFO-OGG is 22.5K miles one way.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:29 pm

Don't know about points, but if it were us, I would fly nonstop Hawaiian JFK/HNL. Price is pretty good, they give free meals and seats for just 2.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
I also can't really help with how to book the miles, but I would also strongly recommend Hawaiian over United if possible. It's a much better flight experience, especially for that long of a flight. Like @KenfromDE said, you can get just 2 seats together, free meals, snacks & an alcoholic beverage when you get close to the islands. Plus, friendly FAs. All in all, great airline.

Also, I highly recommend you do go to Maui, if you can, it truly is a paradise! Best of luck in your planning!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.